sundownz

Sundown Neo-Pro 8 and 10 (Midrange)

hey jacob..im goin to be meeting with andy this weekend hopefully..to play around with these lovely pa drivers...so i will give my review when i make love to them

so far from wat andy said..they r loud as hell and have incredible midbass...so i know im in for a treat

if i am not mistaken they were based off of the B&C neo with more midbass in mind

as for you 80 i think that he already sent them back from what i heard but i could be wrong

i know from what i have heard and played with them i am sure that no one will be sorry they got them

if i am not mistaken they were based off of the B&C neo with more midbass in mind

If so, these should be the bee's knees. I love B&C stuff, and more midbass is always a plus.

Edited by RAM_Designs

as for you 80 i think that he already sent them back from what i heard but i could be wrong

i know from what i have heard and played with them i am sure that no one will be sorry they got them

I do not see any similarities to the B&C neo at all.

Edit to add: looks are not what matters. I would like to see some specs.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I think your lieing!......... XD since when do sundown speakers sound good and get lou!?!?!?!?!?! I got no memo! :P

Specs available yet or we still have to wait a while for them? Dont tease us Jacob :peepwall:

Both the 8" and 10" have a very similar frequency response -- which is quite usable from 50 to 5000 Hz -- after 5k you have a gradual drop off.

If they are to be played at high power I would of course suggest a 24 dB crossover slope at around 60-80 Hz -- if a large array of drivers is used this could be lowered as each driver will need to move less. If only a couple are used and it is desired to keep up with a huge system I would go fro a ~80-100 Hz crossover point.

---

Production should complete first of March -- so that puts them early April in stock.

Any idea from when to when the pre-order will be? Same price as the original post? What's going to be the price after the pre-order?

Jacob was wondering if you had the mounting depth for the 8"? Im shopping around for drivers and trying to see what I can fit and not fit since these are on my list of drivers Im looking at. Thanks

Sounds like my Sundown product order is going to be expanding :dancing::woot::drink40: Any suggestions on a warm sounding tweet to run with an 8" that would be a good match? :thanx: I'll be running them on a 100.4 active when the time comes.

question, why are most of these popular midbass drivers made with a paper cone? aren't there other materials out there that will make it a better sounding driver? please don't flame me if this is a n00b question.

cause paper beats rock duh :WTFBubble:

i dont know either so dont feel alone

Hard to have a big cone not be resonant with a more exotic material. If you want a 10" er that reaches to nearly 5k, paper is by far the most cost effective medium to get there.

For instance, Seas W26 Excel. Great driver, $300 each, but the magnesium cone creates some crossover concerns. (not too mention a rather high build cost)

w26.2.jpg

See those big ass peaks at 3-5kHz, with the monster at 4kHz. It is FAR from trivial to pull a 15dB spike out of a speaker and build a crossover that will make it play nice in that range. What most speaker builders would do would be to limit the upper frequency of that driver less than 1200Hz. Then they only have to deal with the little efficiency hump from 500-700Hz instead of the monster up higher.

Read far from trivial as nearly impossible.

And just to finish the thought, the Seas W26 CA. $125 each. Treated paper cone.

h1316.2.jpg

See no monster peaks :) Some voids, but unlike peaks those can be acceptable. This is also a great driver, but you'll notice the roll-off it naturally has just beyond the 2kHz mark. Obviously you can ask it to play up there, but you aren't going to get a lot of output.

Jacob designed these pro audio mids to play a really large amount of the frequency spectra which nearly defines they'll have to be paper or god awful expensive and hard to use. On top of that he designed them to be loud and efficient like a pro audio driver. Normally of course this means no midbass, but he stated he sacrificed some efficiency to gain back midbass which for a car audio installation I would deem critical.

I am eager to see the final specifications as I feel this driver will fit a niche in the market that currently isn't really answered. We have great mids or midbasses today, but not one that does both and is efficient and gets loud easily. It is always best to have only a single driver playing one portion of the frequency spectra, but when you can't find a driver capable of playing to your reference levels you sometimes compromise. I sure hope this is a cure for many of those installs.

For me, a pair for the boat might very well be in order. That being said I am curious what a coating on the paper will do, but that of course is easily measured.

Looks like my mids fell apart on me AGAIN. I believe I now will be trying this guys out and hopefully they can match or out do my X69s now.

Jacob: Would 125rms and 65hz @ 24dB be a bit too much for the 8?