bknights

Dust cap?

I love the fi sub line up, the only thing i don't like is the outdated dust cap. Hate to say it but the domed dust caps just look ugly. The visible glue, the rough cone material combined with the dome cap make the sub unrepresentable.

Do you guys ever think you would come out with dish style dust caps that cover the whole cone? maybe in the blueprint line up?

I plan on purchasing a ssd15 in the near future and just hoping you'll offer dish caps, or mybe i'll just wait for the blueprint subs and check them out.

Buy Ascendant the, boob cones aren't out dated in my opinion, they are gorgeous.

Not going to happen. The boobs are here to stay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My Q and BTL move to much to even pay attention to anyways. And if you stare... you might go into convulsions..lol. And like Duran said... AA Havocs may be the good choice for you.

Lmao never heard of anyone calling them boob cones. That made my day.

Personally I like the way they look. Shows off the craftsmanship that went into assembly.

Edited by beandip

It doesn't look ruff at all the glue joints done by Fi are perfect nothing ruff about them.. dont like it buy the Havoc from AA

i respect your opinions

but no one is gonna say they don't like it when they own it. What do the havocs compare to in the fi line up?

It doesn't look ruff at all the glue joints done by Fi are perfect nothing ruff about them.. dont like it buy the Havoc from AA

i was talking about the cone material no being smooth, ruff

Cone is supposed to be like that..if you made it 'slick' the paper/pulp would look like a maaco paint/body job.

That's as close as we can get with the 'skin'..it has to have bumps in it. The only way to make a cone look smooth is to use metal, which snaps, or plastic, which snaps...

Havoc's and Q's are comparable.

yes i know its suppose to look like that just not very nice to look at in my opinion. Now the havocs are beautiful :attempt:

the havocs have the great fuctionality as the fi / AA subs and the looks to go along with a great performing sub.

Edited by bknights

You can look into the SSA Icon, it is similar to the SSD and has the dustcover you like.

I also wish Fi would make more options, I've asked Nick on a few occasions, and its not happening.

But Fi is all about options, looks should also be a option other than logo color.

I want CF boobs. I know it doesn't serve much of a purpose but I like them.

Here's the thing...

If you want to pay 30-40 dollars for a dustcap..cool. We have to stock those, and they are not cheap..which is more items we would have to put money into instead of putting that money into more toolings on new viable stuff that would actually enhance performance.

Our options add more performance than anything...which is what we're after, something worth paying for instead of something that is just like a type-r sticker on a civic.

You can not run one of the big dished dustcaps unless you have a pole vent. The big dish cover will split in half as it can not take the pressure of our cooling methods. No poly dustcap can handle it, not even if you put the cool little plastic coil cap that we did at RE 10 years ago on the SE's and SX's...it will split that in half as well, then split the dustcap in half. It simply can not take the pressure, regardless of what others may think :)

You are right, we are about options, but... we are about options that make a functional difference. I can't see offering things that dont "do" something for the performance of the sub at a cost to the customers. A carbon fiber dustcap is only marginally lighter than our current dustcap and costs several times more. Something that would be passed on. I have had samples of them for quite some time, but at the cost difference I never felt they were worth doing. Not too mention that the forced cooling we do is very tough on dustcaps. The full dished ones simply do not hold up to the pressure. In a full redesign of things we could make it work, but I don't feel its of enough benefit to warrant it. Also, we do try to differentiate the two brands and offering a similar "look" only blurs the lines more...

Thanks,

Scott

Nick, I know we been through this 10 times probably, about the CF caps. And maybe also the Dustcovers, and I understand subs without vents in the pole, just can't handle the pressure of the air.

And I understand wanting to keep stock low, simply less things that could run out and have people waiting on, when its not a real need.

I just like CF caps. They are just sexy to me. I even like the Havocs dustcover too. It just is clean, smooth, and sexy.

And Scott, your the man. I'm just ready to see what yall release next. And if you remember, the Q I won is still playing to this day. I'm still in love with it as I was the first time I heard it. I'm ready for the N1 to come out so I can replace it.

You can look into the SSA Icon, it is similar to the SSD and has the dustcover you like.I also wish Fi would make more options, I've asked Nick on a few occasions, and its not happening.But Fi is all about options, looks should also be a option other than logo color.I want CF boobs. I know it doesn't serve much of a purpose but I like them.

nice to know i wasn't the only one

and you make a good point about fi being all about options

Here's the thing...If you want to pay 30-40 dollars for a dustcap..cool. We have to stock those, and they are not cheap..which is more items we would have to put money into instead of putting that money into more toolings on new viable stuff that would actually enhance performance. Our options add more performance than anything...which is what we're after, something worth paying for instead of something that is just like a type-r sticker on a civic.You can not run one of the big dished dustcaps unless you have a pole vent. The big dish cover will split in half as it can not take the pressure of our cooling methods. No poly dustcap can handle it, not even if you put the cool little plastic coil cap that we did at RE 10 years ago on the SE's and SX's...it will split that in half as well, then split the dustcap in half. It simply can not take the pressure, regardless of what others may think :)

You are right, we are about options, but... we are about options that make a functional difference. I can't see offering things that dont "do" something for the performance of the sub at a cost to the customers. A carbon fiber dustcap is only marginally lighter than our current dustcap and costs several times more. Something that would be passed on. I have had samples of them for quite some time, but at the cost difference I never felt they were worth doing. Not too mention that the forced cooling we do is very tough on dustcaps. The full dished ones simply do not hold up to the pressure. In a full redesign of things we could make it work, but I don't feel its of enough benefit to warrant it. Also, we do try to differentiate the two brands and offering a similar "look" only blurs the lines more...Thanks,Scott

Thanks for explaining why you don't. I just feel like the sub performs like a Ferrari and looks like a KIA.

You can look into the SSA Icon, it is similar to the SSD and has the dustcover you like.I also wish Fi would make more options, I've asked Nick on a few occasions, and its not happening.But Fi is all about options, looks should also be a option other than logo color.I want CF boobs. I know it doesn't serve much of a purpose but I like them.

Here's the thing...If you want to pay 30-40 dollars for a dustcap..cool. We have to stock those, and they are not cheap..which is more items we would have to put money into instead of putting that money into more toolings on new viable stuff that would actually enhance performance. Our options add more performance than anything...which is what we're after, something worth paying for instead of something that is just like a type-r sticker on a civic.You can not run one of the big dished dustcaps unless you have a pole vent. The big dish cover will split in half as it can not take the pressure of our cooling methods. No poly dustcap can handle it, not even if you put the cool little plastic coil cap that we did at RE 10 years ago on the SE's and SX's...it will split that in half as well, then split the dustcap in half. It simply can not take the pressure, regardless of what others may think :)

You are right, we are about options, but... we are about options that make a functional difference. I can't see offering things that dont "do" something for the performance of the sub at a cost to the customers. A carbon fiber dustcap is only marginally lighter than our current dustcap and costs several times more. Something that would be passed on. I have had samples of them for quite some time, but at the cost difference I never felt they were worth doing. Not too mention that the forced cooling we do is very tough on dustcaps. The full dished ones simply do not hold up to the pressure. In a full redesign of things we could make it work, but I don't feel its of enough benefit to warrant it. Also, we do try to differentiate the two brands and offering a similar "look" only blurs the lines more...Thanks,Scott

Thanks for explaining why you don't. I just feel like the sub performs like a Ferrari and looks like a KIA.

Would you rather have somethig That looked like a Ferrari and performs like a Kia?

No.. If you did you could easily buy auiobahn or some bullshit like that.

:facepalm:

i love the current dustcaps, think its cause every sub ive used with the dish style has been a piece of shit. sure there not all like that though.

You're analogy is so wrong.

Would you rather have somethig That looked like a Ferrari and performs like a Kia? No.. If you did you could easily buy auiobahn or some bullshit like that. :facepalm:

no i want a ferrari that performs and looks like a ferrari thats why i asked if they would offer dish style dust cap. Thats not asking much from a company that makes custom subwoofers.

You're analogy is so wrong.

sorry wasn't knocking Kia owners

As for me, I'd rather own a Kia and "a sleeper" and kill that ferrari on the Highway. Thats why I own an FI..lol. Spanking those dish style Re XXX

A Dish isn't a Ferrari, lol. Its actually a lot weaker than the boob.

There's nothing wrong with the boob, as I love it. but Fi's line up from SSD to BTL all look the same as far as cone, surround, and dustcap.

It would be nice to change it up a little.

the guys at PSI sell carbon dust caps...

Edited by SIC Noma

I love the fi sub line up, the only thing i don't like is the outdated dust cap. Hate to say it but the domed dust caps just look ugly. The visible glue, the rough cone material combined with the dome cap make the sub unrepresentable.

I realize that the Black Fi-Day X series subs are Fi's entry-level line and were highly discounted because they were being discontinued, so perfection wasn't expected. But considering Fi's reputation, I'm really disappointed in the build "quality" of my 2 new subs that I just received. Just because I'm not buying a fully loaded BTL shouldn't mean that my purchase doesn't really matter. They're the first Fi's that I've ever personally owned, so I have to ask other owners....Is it "normal" for:

...sooo much glue to be oozing from the dustcap onto the cone? It's milky white and contrasts against the black cone and can easily be seen from 8 feet away, no problem.

CIMG0849.jpg?t=1295256521

....the magnets to be so far off-center? They're way off.

CIMG0869.jpg?t=1295256521

.....the cone to be so far off the center of the spider? The photo sux, but the cone's off by about the distance from a spider "valley" to a "peak".

CIMG0866.jpg?t=1295256521

I can get more detailed photos if anyone wanted/needed.

I don't know if any of these things could mean anything in regards to the quality of the output, either individually or collectively. The cone being off from the center of the spider so much can easily affect the linearity of the excursion I would think. I couldn't get a good enough photo, but a dustcap on 1 of the 2 subs is noticeably off center by about 1/4". Most of this might only be cosmetic, but they just look slapped together. Like Stevie Wonder had a few drinks and built them with his feet. Like they wouldn't have made it through Pyle's QC. I've owed hundreds of subs, everywhere from $20 - $700 each and haven't seen any that were as poorly built as my Fi's. I'm extremely disappointed but, then again,...... maybe it's just me. I'd like some feedback either way. Am I being overly critical?