Lschevy

loudest $300 sub

aint no way to make an L7 sound good..I have tried..square subs sound like they are chewing down a good meal

when the hz drop to the floor...

Then you suck at box design

aint no way to make an L7 sound good..I have tried..square subs sound like they are chewing down a good meal

Then you suck at box design

yup your right...,... I suk at box design..... :suicide-santa:

as far as dropping.... the 12" L7's I had couldn't even hold a candle to a few brands of 10" I have tried for dropping low

notes...not even close...llike wayyyyyyy not even close......Kicker Squares don't drop the lows worth beans with out

committing suicide

all it takes is a video camera,termlab and four 12" L7's on 3,000w to prove me wrong.. :eek5wavey:

seriously though...MANY have tried to impress me with a square sub...it has not happened yet

..I was even forced into a blind comparison for being a smart ass about it on CCA by a local dealer/installer....

I won........they have a very unique sound to them that my ears can pick out easily ( personal listening taste I guess )

Ls Chevy...........

any shops or comps close to you?

i have had a huge amount of installs, not peaking over $300 for a sub.....

install..... i have plenty of stories where this comes to play for sure....even my own....

hold onto your cash just a bit longer....

read up on hear and try to find real world exsposure.... let your ears be your guide....

if you find a loud system you like ask a ton of questions.

as your budget grows, so will your taste and knowledge.

as far as different....

if you put the time and dedication in, you most likely be different than most of your peers.

gl with you goals.

currently, i have two 18" SSA XCONs , individually were within that budget.... and believe me the sq is there and are plenty dam loud!

chop

Just buy a good quality sub that you know isnt going to take a shit on you. Then, mess around with different box designs and see what happens. Theres really not much else for you to do.

Friend has a single Sa-12 in his hatch and it is insanely loud. I think Sa-15 would be a safe bet :).

Edited by Virindok

You could get the two sub and box deal from Skar. 2-12" vvx-12 subs in a box for 350.

True ****!!!

Loudest sub I ever dealt with, this will get you in the 150's fo sho

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25529_PowerBass-PB-C156Dv.2.html

:ughdunno:

150's????? idk about that. if i was u, id look into a used mtx 9500 12 or 15. i had a single 12 in the sledgehammer ported box and it SLAMMED. actually i liked it so much and had some cash to spend, i bought a second one and now thats what i have. im in the process on building my box for them both as we speak (or type. which ever u perfer)

Loudest sub I ever dealt with, this will get you in the 150's fo sho

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25529_PowerBass-PB-C156Dv.2.html

:ughdunno:

150's????? idk about that. if i was u, id look into a used mtx 9500 12 or 15. i had a single 12 in the sledgehammer ported box and it SLAMMED. actually i liked it so much and had some cash to spend, i bought a second one and now thats what i have. im in the process on building my box for them both as we speak (or type. which ever u perfer)

I dunno if they still suffer from the same problems now, but they used to fall apart around 150 dB. Everybody with multiple subs doing 150+, every sub just fell apart.

Apparently you guys never caught his sarcasm.

Apparently you guys never caught his sarcasm.

x2 Hahahahahah

Edit** On topic, Fi BL. There you go, there is one... along with many others.

Edited by AllenH427

i have no words for this post other than matter of opinion

I have seen alot of loud single subs.....9 out of 10 times though some kid show's up with

a alpine type R in an ugly silicone box and an abortion of an install and blows it away by a db....LOL

it's not the sub....spending the time testing different boxes/configurations will make any $300 sub loud

BTW....

World Champion in SQ for years had 6 L7 15"s.......

I have seen alot of loud single subs.....9 out of 10 times though some kid show's up with

a alpine type R in an ugly silicone box and an abortion of an install and blows it away by a db....LOL

it's not the sub....spending the time testing different boxes/configurations will make any $300 sub loud

BTW....

And for quite some time the SQ champ (Gary Biggs) had a pair of SoloX 18's. What's your point? The 18's didn't even play till they did the SPL portion. When I competed in SQ I had a judge tell me there was too much bass from the subs in the back when the amp wasn't even on. I believe this was said because I did a 153 before that.

Subs don't sound bad because of their shape, Xtant's hex sub actually sounds quite good.

BTW....

And for quite some time the SQ champ (Gary Biggs) had a pair of SoloX 18's. What's your point? The 18's didn't even play till they did the SPL portion. When I competed in SQ I had a judge tell me there was too much bass from the subs in the back when the amp wasn't even on. I believe this was said because I did a 153 before that.

Subs don't sound bad because of their shape, Xtant's hex sub actually sounds quite good.

Both Eldridge and Biggs, as well as about a dozen other competitors, have used L7's as the subwoofers in their system for the SQ judging portion as well.

BTW....

Both Eldridge and Biggs, as well as about a dozen other competitors, have used L7's as the subwoofers in their system for the SQ judging portion as well.

Consider this, at what sound levels are the testing? How much are the drivers actually moving? Even if they are moving 1mm, that's not enough use of the suspension for anything to sound terrible. 120 isn't difficult to make sound good.

BTW....

Consider this, at what sound levels are the testing? How much are the drivers actually moving? Even if they are moving 1mm, that's not enough use of the suspension for anything to sound terrible. 120 isn't difficult to make sound good.

Sound level testing is (should be) done at a level loud enough to accurately reproduce the source material. Considering they are listening to real music and not commercial pop/rap/etc, the subbass actually extends very low in frequency. So while the bass may not be "loud" by peak SPL standards, the excursion required to reach the required listening level can actually be fairly significant....certainly significantly greater than 1mm for anyone running one or two typical sized subwoofers (as both Biggs and Eldridge did. Biggs had a single 10L7 in the dash, Eldridge used a pair of 12L7's sealed). There's a difference between 120db at 60hz and 120db at 20hz.

Also keep in mind both Biggs and Eldridge were competing in the top-tier classes at large national events and world finals. They were competing against what would ideally be the best sounding cars in the competition format, and these are typically not the type of events where a judge perceives too much bass from subs that aren't on and whatnot. Sounding "good" won't necessarily be good enough at that level of competition. That said, anyone that's seen me post knows I don't put a lot of faith into competition results. But the fact that they were able to be used in winning systems at that level of competition at the least points to the fact that they don't sound bad, unlike the underlined statement in the quote up there indicated.

You say not it's hard to make a sub sound good at 120db....I'd say it's impossible to make a sub sound good at the high SPL levels most people on the forums use to judge/compare the "sound quality" of a subwoofer (and more times than not it's in a fart-cannon of an enclosure). One sub may agree with your personal subjective preference while another may not.....but neither of them are going to sound good at those levels.

I'm not really sure what your actual point has been in this thread, as you seem to simply be playing devil's advocate. But my point is simply yes, it is possible to have an L7 that doesn't sound bad.

Sound level testing is (should be) done at a level loud enough to accurately reproduce the source material. Considering they are listening to real music and not commercial pop/rap/etc, the subbass actually extends very low in frequency. So while the bass may not be "loud" by peak SPL standards, the excursion required to reach the required listening level can actually be fairly significant....certainly significantly greater than 1mm for anyone running one or two typical sized subwoofers (as both Biggs and Eldridge did. Biggs had a single 10L7 in the dash, Eldridge used a pair of 12L7's sealed). There's a difference between 120db at 60hz and 120db at 20hz.

Yes, there is a difference, but there is also things like cabin gain that promote SPL gain on lower frequencies. The point being made is that in no instance is the sub being maxed out, or even close to it. Most of where your bad sound comes from where the BL curve tapers off or other components like spiders and surrounds are stressed. This is assuming the cone is stable.

Also keep in mind both Biggs and Eldridge were competing in the top-tier classes at large national events and world finals. They were competing against what would ideally be the best sounding cars in the competition format, and these are typically not the type of events where a judge perceives too much bass from subs that aren't on and whatnot. Sounding "good" won't necessarily be good enough at that level of competition. That said, anyone that's seen me post knows I don't put a lot of faith into competition results. But the fact that they were able to be used in winning systems at that level of competition at the least points to the fact that they don't sound bad, unlike the underlined statement in the quote up there indicated.

Have you competed in SQ or been an SQ judge yourself? I've done both, and seen psycho-acoustics at work. SQ is purely subjective, and I've seen people get scored because of what equipment they ran before they even turned it on. The same applies for who it is. If you're known for sounding good, it immediately sounds better. I tell people to never show what equipment they are running if possible, and if they have to, wait till the judge is done with the score sheet.

You say not it's hard to make a sub sound good at 120db....I'd say it's impossible to make a sub sound good at the high SPL levels most people on the forums use to judge/compare the "sound quality" of a subwoofer (and more times than not it's in a fart-cannon of an enclosure). One sub may agree with your personal subjective preference while another may not.....but neither of them are going to sound good at those levels.

At a certain point, nothing sounds good. It's simply too loud for human ears to sound as good as it did at a lower level. In fact, humans often perceive a dirty or clipped sound as louder because it's more harsh on the ear, which equates to what something too loud does. If it's crystal clear, you won't be able to tell how loud it is till you have a reference point. This seldom occurs with bass because of the amount of pressure involved on the ear drum.