Sign in to follow this  
beach

chevy s10 design

Time for a new design for my extended cab S10...2 sundown SA 12's going in, which way should the subs and port face, I have not seen much info on enclosures for these small trucks and I would like to have a plan before I start the project........I would appreciate any help

welcome to my world lol, had a hell of a time with my s10 extended cab, ill share with you the 2 pics i have found for these trucks.

box2.jpg

s10stereo.jpg

i personally went with the 1st one holding a 15" Fi Q. these pics helped me

this is what mine looked like in my 2003 from way back

100_0266.jpg

I have read subs forward port up works great for extended cabs. Max two 15's in this configuration, you might be able to squeeze three 12's in there.

s10stereo.jpg

Hey, that is my design!!!!! Wanted to go a little differnet than that but the owner of the truck wanted the amps in the middle.

yea it is your design. awesome design!! im sure once i get tired of this Q 15" im going to scrap what i got and make something clean like you did there. probably do that design with 2 BL's or something when money permits.

I have read subs forward port up works great for extended cabs. Max two 15's in this configuration, you might be able to squeeze three 12's in there.

I just finished doing a box in mine, 3.34 cu ft turned at about 33 and its huge in there. probably squeeze out 4 cubes and still keep it at the window line but that will be tough. when building the box pay close attention to where your seat is comfortable and where the woofer sits, even when sitting in the seat where comfortable the seat pushes back farther and if the woofer is in the way you will have to move the seat up, real pain in the ass for me. in sefugi's design the woofers can sit low where it isnt an issue. also plan the port placement. dont want the port pushed right up against the back of a seat. port up would work for that.

Edited by smashedz28

peep bangingmc's build log, sonoma and s10 are the same. hes runnin 2 SMD 15's on 2 saz3500s

Loudest and best sounding would be subs forward as far to the passenger side as you can get them with the port firing up as far to the driver side as you can get it.

This is a proven design and works well for SPL and music.

wish i would have knew that when i built mine :-/ did sub on driverside port on passenger side facing forward. might need a redesign soon lol, not happy with mine thats for damn sure

wish i would have knew that when i built mine :-/ did sub on driverside port on passenger side facing forward. might need a redesign soon lol, not happy with mine thats for damn sure

Re do it with what I said 6 cubes net 120sqin port. :)

lol, bromo couldnt fit anymore than 3.3 cu ft in there under the back window, 6 is out of the question lol. god i hate how s10s sound.. ive put 4 different setups in that thing, bunch of different boxes. just hate the sound. my btl in my tahoe spoiled me lol

lol, bromo couldnt fit anymore than 3.3 cu ft in there under the back window, 6 is out of the question lol. god i hate how s10s sound.. ive put 4 different setups in that thing, bunch of different boxes. just hate the sound. my btl in my tahoe spoiled me lol

You don't have enough room then. Sell it and get a 15".

thats what i have, a fi Q 15" lol. price was more than right on the sub so i cant complain. would have loved a BL 15" but didnt see one of those on craigslist for $120 Like this q lol.

126.jpg

I have done sup forward and port up. And sub forward port forward with the 2 15's. Both sounded well and netted me decent numbers. Now debating 4 12"sa's in the bed. This is back when I had the DC XL's in it.

I like that design too! if only i didnt park outside and live in a ghetto ass city lol.

Ya thats why the Sundowns are going in the bed,plus ive been wanting to cut this thing up for awhile lol. Looking at 4 12's and 2 2500's is the game plan. May try 4 on the 1 2500 I have but I like overkill.

Well, might as well share my design. Your box will obviously be different, but you can build a false floor so you have a nice foundation to build everything on.

8e44b0d6.jpg

e5c29e0c.jpg

As far as dimensions go the whole extended cab area is available. The rear seats are out and the plastic trim has already been cut...the only thing I would like is to keep it under the rear glass and be able to recline the seats a little. Thanks for any and all help!

It will end up to how you like the way it sounds. I have always ran subs forward and port up in my ext. cab trucks.Placing my port at the back of the box running across the back window line.

Now a friend of mine has 2 12" DC's in his Ranger. Subs on pass. side port on drivers side and that thing is insane sounding. I was very surprised with it.

You will have plenty of room to stay under the window line and still recline either route you choose.

As far as dimensions go the whole extended cab area is available. The rear seats are out and the plastic trim has already been cut...the only thing I would like is to keep it under the rear glass and be able to recline the seats a little. Thanks for any and all help!

Specifics are still needed to make the most of what you have, otherwise we're just guessing at what you've actually got to work with. I came up with 48" wide x 15" tall x 14.5" deep...think something that size would work for you?

48" x 15" x 14.5" would definitely fit...my next question would be how much port area would be needed and what frequency would be good/best for spl and daily listening(all types of music) At these dimensions I come up with just over 6 cu ft before port is figured in which would give plenty of room to play with as sundown recommends no more than 2.25' for the SA 12's at low power (right now all I have to power them is a SAE-1000d)....thanks for taking the time to help.......looking forward to getting started on this project, just want to make sure i have planed for everything ...i have wasted a lot of time and money in the past trying to rush

If you've got bucket seats, why not rip out the center console (if you have one), and extend the enclosure between the seats as a "T"? You could always use the "T" section as an external port, would gain you at least a couple feet of interior volume behind the seats.

If you've already ripped out all the plastic interior pieces, why not use a LOT of heavy fiberglass mat and have the sides and back of the enclosure conform to the shape of the truck? Lay a mat of 1/2" dense foam on all the metal surfaces, then 'glass over it - I'm sure you'd have the capability of finding 8-9 cubes, easily.

the box i built which went into a 1998 Extended cab s10 was only 12.25" depth.. seat still doesnt go back to where im comfortable, i also have no tilt wheel. here is a pic of my install. if i had went with a 12" woofer and put it more towards the bottom vs a 15" it wouldnt have been so bad, but for some dumb reason i placed the sub on the driver side and when the seat is all the way back its ok, but i didnt account for my weight in the seat pushing it back even farther.

DSCN0402.jpg