loondizie52

JL tw5 13.5 or SA8

Need to go behind backseat of 03 F250 Crew cab. ive got about 5.25 inches of mounting depth. im gonna put either 3 of the tw5's or Fosgate P3 shallows, or at least 4 of the SA8's. which sound will sound fuller and less hollow and weak. im used to always having at least 2-6 12's or multiple 15's or 18's. got a new truck and trying to downsize but get the best and most out of it

Edited by loondizie52

Not sure what your willing to do but if your really interested in getting some decent bass then a fairly simple mod that worked really well was cutting and re-welding the rear seat bracket so that the rear seat sat forward a couple inches. We did it to my buddies 350 and managed to fit 4 audiopipe tens in the back in a ported enclosure that got pretty loud. You can easily get 8-9" of clearance which will allow you to put in just about anything. And the nice thing is that even after doing that the rear seat is still comfortable. We had buddies who were 6' 4" sit back there all the time.

The JL tw13.5 is a solid speaker. Probably one of the best slim subs out there. I installed one in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in the JL stealth box with some Focals up front and that thing rocked! My definition of rocked might be a little different yours though. It got plenty loud for me is all I'm saying. :) But if you did multiples, I'm sure you wopn't have an y problem getting good output from them.

On the other hand the SA8s are some awesome little beats and a lot cheaper than the JLs. It's a toss up but I'm interested to see a build either way.

Not sure what your willing to do but if your really interested in getting some decent bass then a fairly simple mod that worked really well was cutting and re-welding the rear seat bracket so that the rear seat sat forward a couple inches. We did it to my buddies 350 and managed to fit 4 audiopipe tens in the back in a ported enclosure that got pretty loud. You can easily get 8-9" of clearance which will allow you to put in just about anything. And the nice thing is that even after doing that the rear seat is still comfortable. We had buddies who were 6' 4" sit back there all the time.

Good idea, if you have the tools and the know how I would also suggest it

IM not sure if you alreday know this but jl audio 13tw5's will only goon a sealed box.

ill say go with the SA 8's on a ported box

Edited by heckvr4

Space is going to be a serious issue with the 8s. The subs are 5.25" deep, they still need room for the pole vent to breathe and room for the front end of the basket, the surround and excursion. With only 5.25" to work with, slim subs are probably going to be your best bet.

Take a look at This for your application. Shallow mount will be your best bet as mentioned above.

cool thanks for the ideas guys. i thought about the seat idea, i was trying to figure out if i could just cut flat sticks and bolt them further forward without welding. i really dont want to alter it too much. i was doing some more research and found T3 t600s 10's that are only 5.2 deep

The stereo integritys suggested earlier may be one of your best bets since they are only 3.4" deep. Although the t3s are good drivers you may not want to squeeze them into the space you have to work with. Think about how little space .05" actually is before you purchase a driver with similar mounting depths.

Edited by Deto1992

ya you have a point. i looked intot he si bms but they arent making them anymore with no date of return scheduled. im kinda leaning toward 4 of the RF P3 shallow 12's

i would love to get those but i cant find them anywhere and i called a couple dealers and they said that they have never been able to get them. idk how much they cost anyways

Nick of Stereo Integrity speaks well of the Alpine Type R slims and the 13TW5; the Alpine for output and the JL for SQ. In fact for output he suggests the Alpine over the BM. Take that for what it's worth.

The JL TW5 is a nice subwoofer from what I hear, I'm just not a fan of their drivers.

Nick of Stereo Integrity speaks well of the Alpine Type R slims and the 13TW5; the Alpine for output and the JL for SQ. In fact for output he suggests the Alpine over the BM. Take that for what it's worth.

Not sure if you saw the thread on DIYMA about the new Alpine Type-R's, but there was an Alpine engineer on there discussing them and I must say I was pretty impressed. It appears they actually spent some time on quality re-engineering them and did some important things like focusing on linearizing BL, etc. There was more info in there about the normal R's than the Slim's from what I recall, but if they put the same focus into the Slim line them I wouldn't be surprised if they were solid drivers as well.

Not sure if you saw the thread on DIYMA about the new Alpine Type-R's, but there was an Alpine engineer on there discussing them and I must say I was pretty impressed. They actually took some time to re-engineer them and did some important things like focusing on linearizing BL, etc. There was more info in there about the normal R's than the Slim's from what I recall, but if they put the same focus into the Slim line them I wouldn't be surprised if they were solid drivers as well.

link?

These look prety solid. Dayton make some great stuff for the money IMO

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-134

Dayton is one of the best values out there imo.

I looked at the Daytons but they model VERY poorly. Mechanical power handling was about non-existent IIRC.

I think a BM would be great for that application, but when he's out of stock you gotta go elsewhere. For that I'd say Alpine. I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much for anything JL, especially the 13TW5.

SA8's just won't have the depth there to do them, they also won't be real strong around 30 hz where the other subs mentioned could be.

Not sure if you saw the thread on DIYMA about the new Alpine Type-R's, but there was an Alpine engineer on there discussing them and I must say I was pretty impressed. They actually took some time to re-engineer them and did some important things like focusing on linearizing BL, etc. There was more info in there about the normal R's than the Slim's from what I recall, but if they put the same focus into the Slim line them I wouldn't be surprised if they were solid drivers as well.

link?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/91741-alpine-utilizing-xbl.html