So i installed the radio about 2-3 months ago now and have loved everything about it.

then, on December 29th i was driving downtown and my faceplate died. I still had music but i had no control over anything. Volume didn't work, seek, station change, cd eject, AND the remote didn't do shit either.

Ok, so it went a week with no problem so i figured nothing was wrong.

then friday night i was going to listen to the Zcon that TeamRamRod has and it did it again to me. i pulled over, turned my truck off, and opened the door to cut power to my radio. turned truck on and it worked.

Saturday, i drove to east lansing to see my girlfriend. Turned truck off, went into her apartment to pick her up (took literally 2 hours because she had to get "dressed") so we could go to dinner. Start my truck up and i got nothing, no power, no music like before absolutely nothing. I turned my truck off and then turned it back on and still nothing. i said forget it and drove to the restaurant angry. we ate and went back to the truck and all of a sudden the radio works again with no problems.

Today, it happens yet again and really annoys the hell out of me. I came home and yanked the radio out, checked all my connections and my ground. They're all good. wtf is wrong with this radio?

background on the radio.

i got it from my brother who had it installed in his avalanche for about a month with no problems before he upgraded to his Avic-z120BT.

i let it sit in my room for 2 months before i put it in my truck.

put it in using the Harness i bought from my local car stereo shop.

used the old dash kit from my Pioneer 590

Used new antenna adapter

Edited by Mtopper

Connector for the faceplate to h/u is not connecting well. Pull it off and reconnect.

i've tried that. still nothing

Want to sell it? :)

haha, um..... only if you were to pay for me to get a new Pioneer 4200 including installation

Edited by Mtopper

haha, um..... only if you were to pay for me to get a new Pioneer 4200 including installation

And how much is that?

And how much is that?

$550.

i'm going to another shop tomorrow to have them look at it, if something is still messed up i'll be contacting Pioneer. i really like this radio but not if its going to do this to me when its cold out.

And how much is that?

$550.

i'm going to another shop tomorrow to have them look at it, if something is still messed up i'll be contacting Pioneer. i really like this radio but not if its going to do this to me when its cold out.

If you get a chance, snap a picture of that plug you got for it.

I know the plugs on the 880/800 are different from all the other Pioneers.

And how much is that?

$550.

If you get a chance, snap a picture of that plug you got for it.

I know the plugs on the 880/800 are different from all the other Pioneers.

which plug? the harness i bought? i have the external ipod adapter which is hooked up and works great (when the radio doesn't do this weird short crap)

i'm heading to bed. its 3:30 here. i have shop visit at 8, work at 9 and class at 4... busy day haha.

i'll check back on lunch break and post what the shop said

Yea which harness did you have to get?

The one with the power wires? The one with the RCA's? Or the one IP Bus cable?

the harness i bought was to connect to the truck's stock electrical. the shop i went to today was my usual shop's custom shop where the guy ripped my dash apart and traced every single wire from headunit to battery. Ended up being the main power wire from the deck's pigtail into the harness i bought. the pin into the connector was bad. so they replaced it and said to call back if it happens again and they can dig into the headunit itself.

sorry about waiting so long. i didn't get a lunch break today and was on campus until about an hour ago. First priority once home was to feed my dog and then myself lol.

bassahaulic, if i sell the radio later this year do you want it?? i'lll let you get first dibs

the harness i bought was to connect to the truck's stock electrical. the shop i went to today was my usual shop's custom shop where the guy ripped my dash apart and traced every single wire from headunit to battery. Ended up being the main power wire from the deck's pigtail into the harness i bought. the pin into the connector was bad. so they replaced it and said to call back if it happens again and they can dig into the headunit itself.

sorry about waiting so long. i didn't get a lunch break today and was on campus until about an hour ago. First priority once home was to feed my dog and then myself lol.

bassahaulic, if i sell the radio later this year do you want it?? i'lll let you get first dibs

Glad you got it all fixed!

Yes I will take it, if not me one of my friends. lol