Blackula31

Two 12" SA-12's ported

Wassup everyone???

Im in the process of getting two 12" SA-12's...

I want to port them.... but dont want to take up the entire trunk in my car (Looking @ a 2011 Dodge Charger). Per the info I copied below ... it says I can go with 1-1.5 cubes per sub but I just have to tune higher. Can someone tell me what the optimal size would be 1.25 or smaller per sub and the port area and tuning frequency

I listen almost exclusively to rap music...

Please assist!

Enclosure Suggestions:

1.75 ft^3 ported tuned to 30 Hz -- F3 of 26 Hz

* Tune higher and use a smaller box for more SPL oriented setup (Use 1 - 1.5 cubes)

* Enclosure can be as big as 2.25 ft^3 with lower power levels

1.00 ft^3 sealed -- F3 of 44 Hz

* For SQ and space limited applications

I always forget something... it will be the SAZ-1000D wired to 1 ohm... so each sub will be getting 500 Watts...

Well according to the recommendation you should have between 1 and 1.5 cubes if youre goal is spl. As far as I know, when a recommendation specifies spl, it is referring to a one note burp. Since this is not what youre looking for, I think you should go sealed and see what you think (given that you could always build another box). Unfortunately, if the subs are in a ported box that is too small you will lose efficiency and low end output.

I would make the biggest box you can that leaves you with enough trunk space you want.

Biggest being 3.5cubes to 3cubes NET. Bigger the box, better efficiency, likely a little more output.

remember a SPL orientated setup is not the same as "getting as loud as possible in a daily driver". Smaller box = increased power handling (great for short burps with tons of power), and tuning higher would lessen the lows output and boost the higher range.

So I would go with better efficiency by going with the biggest box you can fit while still maintaining enough trunk space.

Tuning is personal preference, I like 33hz...

And don't forget driver displacement, port displacement, and bracing displacement when calculating net volume.

you're gonna need 2 SAZ-1000's if you're running 2 SA-12's imo

Why? Why does it need rated power plus 400watts per driver? No such thing as under powering being a bad thing.

Consider the drivers being overkill for the amp, and not the drivers being under powered...

With the SAZ-1000D I would look at going ported in the 1.25-1.5^3ft range, tuning around 35-38hz. Built in cabin gain and transfer function should give you the deep bass your looking for but yet stay transient. All install dependent though.

The SAZ-1000D is(was) a powerhouse little amplifier and with proper setup should be more than enough without taxing your electrical and pocketbook.

With the SAZ-1000D I would look at going ported in the 2-2.5^3ft range, tuning around 35-38hz. Built in cabin gain and transfer function should give you the deep bass your looking for but yet stay transient. All install dependent though.

The SAZ-1000D is(was) a powerhouse little amplifier and with proper setup should be more than enough without taxing your electrical and pocketbook.

I think his problem is that he doesnt have the room to give each driver 2 or more cubes.

With the SAZ-1000D I would look at going ported in the 2-2.5^3ft range, tuning around 35-38hz. Built in cabin gain and transfer function should give you the deep bass your looking for but yet stay transient. All install dependent though.

I think his problem is that he doesnt have the room to give each driver 2 or more cubes.

LOL, I know I mistyped and went back and corrected to 1.25-1.5^3ft. My bad!

Why? Why does it need rated power plus 400watts per driver? No such thing as under powering being a bad thing.

Consider the drivers being overkill for the amp, and not the drivers being under powered...

I should have worded that differently, I know it doesn't need that much. I ran a single SA-12 off 400w & it got loud enough for my liking. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in, but here's my .02 ..............

A single SA-12 with 1,000w & a proper size ported box would be louder & more effecient than two SA-12's with 500w each & restraints on box size. And with one you don't have to run it at exactly 1,000w, the gain can be cut down some & leave plenty of headroom. With a pair of SA-12's you're really gonna be pushing a SAZ-1000. Plus, it's gonna be $200 cheaper.

Edited by 00WJGC

I should have worded that differently, I know it doesn't need that much. I ran a single SA-12 off 400w & it got loud enough for my liking. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in, but here's my .02 ..............

A single SA-12 with 1,000w & a proper size ported box would be louder & more effecient than two SA-12's with 500w each & restraints on box size. And with one you don't have to run it at exactly 1,000w, the gain can be cut down some & leave plenty of headroom. With a pair of SA-12's you're really gonna be pushing a SAZ-1000. Plus, it's gonna be $200 cheaper.

You’re doubling motor force and cone area. Theoretically it should be louder than 1 12" on 1K watts. Plus he could always add another SAZ-1000D and strap them to the pair or upgrade to either a SAZ-2500D or bigger.

You’re doubling motor force and cone area. Theoretically it should be louder than 1 12" on 1K watts. Plus he could always add another SAZ-1000D and strap them to the pair or upgrade to either a SAZ-2500D or bigger.

I agree, but the OP stated that trunk space was limited(1-1.5cu per sub). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds a little small for ported SA-12's. If he isn't gonna have enough room to build an optimum enclosure for 2 then I'd try a single setup. He can always add a 2nd sub later.

Actually 1.5^3ft is pretty common size for the SA-12".

If the OP could either post pics of trunk area or get us measurments, it would be easier to recommend something else if they are space limited.

Actually 1.5^3ft is pretty common size for the SA-12".

If the OP could either post pics of trunk area or get us measurments, it would be easier to recommend something else if they are space limited.

I stand corrected then, just sounded small to me.

Pictures are definitely needed, if he only has 3cu ft total to work with before speaker, port, & brace displacement that's not gonna work. lol

The box I have planned will be sealed.... 1.25 per sub before the .14 deplacement ... I think I would be happy with that!

The box I have planned will be sealed.... 1.25 per sub before the .14 deplacement ... I think I would be happy with that!

With that amount of volume, sealed is a good idea :fing34:

And you'll have more trunk space.

Think that will hit pretty hard?

lulz.

No one knows what every setup will sound like. If they did, there wouldn't be any competitions. Installation can make/break the end result.

You can swap out the same equipment from vehicle A to vehicle B, with significant output increase or decrease...

Next, I don't know what your definition of "hit pretty hard" is. When I first heard a bass car, it had two lower line rockford 12"s and 300watts, I was giggling from the bass, thought it was awesome.

Six months later I got a nice setup and got use to it. Jumping back in my friends car with the RF 12s, couldn't really tell there was bass. Point is, depends what your use to hearing.

Might do 138db at the headrest, might do 135, maybe 142, maybe 136, or even 143... who knows.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth. :) Don't forget to post a build log!

So, I know i have a totally different subwoofer but with my 12" Icon on 500w I am loud enough that the old lady gets mad when I come home with the music almost maxed out... I'm pretty sure with your 2 SA-12's you'll be plenty happy with them running in the proper sized sealed enclosure, good news is you can get a ported enclosure later on down the road so it can seem like you got a whole new setup... ;)

lulz.

No one knows what every setup will sound like. If they did, there wouldn't be any competitions. Installation can make/break the end result.

You can swap out the same equipment from vehicle A to vehicle B, with significant output increase or decrease...

Next, I don't know what your definition of "hit pretty hard" is. When I first heard a bass car, it had two lower line rockford 12"s and 300watts, I was giggling from the bass, thought it was awesome.

Six months later I got a nice setup and got use to it. Jumping back in my friends car with the RF 12s, couldn't really tell there was bass. Point is, depends what your use to hearing.

Might do 138db at the headrest, might do 135, maybe 142, maybe 136, or even 143... who knows.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth. :) Don't forget to post a build log!

LOL... It was kinda a rhetorical question... I figure it would be decent... I remember how impressed I was with my buddies system back in 94... he had two crappy 10" Kenwood subs, crappy kenwood amp... and a jvc tape deck... LOL... I think that setup did like 135 when he had it measured... he had the two 10's in a big sealed box... lol

Thanks for all of the input though!

Edited by Blackula31

lulz.

LOL... It was kinda a rhetorical question... I figure it would be decent... I remember how impressed I was with my buddies system back in 94... he had two crappy 10" Kenwood subs, crappy kenwood amp... and a jvc tape deck... LOL... I think that setup did like 135 when he had it measured... he had the two 10's in a big sealed box... lol

Have you had any previous setups? What were they like? ever meter them? ever been to a comp? :P

lulz.

Have you had any previous setups? What were they like? ever meter them? ever been to a comp? :P

Yeah... I have had a system... last system was two 12" Crystal CMP's (sealed)... on a JBL 1200.1 I had JL Audio 5.25 TR series coaxials... and JL TR series 6x9's... JBL 50.4 (I think that was the amp)... car was deadened with brown bread... all in a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix... Alpine 9835 HU... 6 inch LCD's in the headrests... and passenger visor!

Never measured it... never competed... but it bumped nicely! :D

My new set up will be:

2 - 12" SA 12's

SAZ 1000d

SAX 100.4

CDT Audio CL 69 6x9's

CDT Audio 6.5 inch (will be HD series)

Will have to leave stock headunit in the 2011 Dodge Charger... due to all of the functions... will prob add a JL Audio Clean Sweep...

lulz.

Yeah... I have had a system... last system was two 12" Crystal CMP's (sealed)... on a JBL 1200.1 I had JL Audio 5.25 TR series coaxials... and JL TR series 6x9's... JBL 50.4 (I think that was the amp)... car was deadened with brown bread... all in a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix... Alpine 9835 HU... 6 inch LCD's in the headrests... and passenger visor!

Never measured it... never competed... but it bumped nicely! :D

My new set up will be:

2 - 12" SA 12's

SAZ 1000d

SAX 100.4

CDT Audio CL 69 6x9's

CDT Audio 6.5 inch (will be HD series)

Will have to leave stock headunit in the 2011 Dodge Charger... due to all of the functions... will prob add a JL Audio Clean Sweep...

Sounds like your new car is gonna be pretty awesome. Looking forward to the build log, 2011 charger... :wub: