eddcccc

where did I go wrong

Just made a new box for my 21" dp (the amp I will be running is a sundown 3500, I have (2) 1750 strapped right now about 3000 watts) in a 2000 Ford Taurus. (8.3 cu ft/32hertz) The sub is facing up, with a top on it to direct wave more in the car and stop trunk rattle. The port is firing in the car. (I guess its sort of a 4th order/ported box combo) During the build I wanted to make sure since the port would be firing in the car and the sub facing up with a top on it, to completely seal the front wave from the rear trunk. After the installation, it was loud but noticeably louder with the trunk open. Ok I must have missed sealing something..... I noticed I missed a few spots and filled them with great stuff. At night in complete darkness i ran a light across the entire box to check for any leaks, (having light inside car while looking in from trunk) I also took the woofer out and check the entire box for leaks, maybe the top was leaking back in the trunk. Everything looked good. No leaks! Next morning I tested again, not only was the bass not as loud, but I also still had the same situation when opening the trunk??? I took all the great stuff off, open the back deck up now it loud as hell and no difference with the trunk open or closed????. Whats wrong here?

Post pictures so we can get a better understanding.

How big were these leaks and cracks you filled with great stuff?

Problem? For starters, it's a Ford.

:peepwall:

j/k j/k ........Can you post up some pictures of the enclosure/trunk?

Edited by 00WJGC

To help answer the last section of your "issue". Trying to load a subwoofer with a baffle over it may work if it is designed correctly. After you removed the sealants you tried to use you had a properly loaded (using the trunk with the subwoofer mounted near the trunk lid) subwoofer for your setup. Hense no gain with trunk lid open or closed.

Subwoofer Placement

Yep because owning a car manufactured by the best makes your installation suspect.

Where in AZ do you live? phx?

Yep because owning a car manufactured by the best makes your installation suspect.

I was just joking; I've owned a Ford, Chevrolet, & Chrysler vehicle. They're all about the same imo.....

But to be honest..... the '96 Mustang Cobra SVT I had in high school was my least favorite of the 3....

To help answer the last section of your "issue". Trying to load a subwoofer with a baffle over it may work if it is designed correctly. After you removed the sealants you tried to use you had a properly loaded (using the trunk with the subwoofer mounted near the trunk lid) subwoofer for your setup. Hense no gain with trunk lid open or closed.

Subwoofer Placement

Interesting read... Is the front of the trunk closest to the cabin or the other way around??

My thought when I read "best output" was he placed the box at the "opening" of the trunk(where the trunk release is), facing inward towards the cabin?? Is that correct?

Subwoofer Placement

Interesting read... Is the front of the trunk closest to the cabin or the other way around??

My thought when I read "best output" was he placed the box at the "opening" of the trunk(where the trunk release is), facing inward towards the cabin?? Is that correct?

Front of the trunk is towards the rear seat. Rear of the trunk is towards the trunk hatch. The author of the article claims for typical subwoofer enclosure best output and sound in a sedan can be achieved with the subwoofer facing the rear hatch or rear corner or trunk lid. He also explains that the subwoofer needs to be close to the loading surface itself but didn't go into depth what "close" is. I am surprised he didn't mention a relationship between enclosure size and trunk size. I would think a 15^3 enclosure wouldn't load well in a trunk that is 14^3.

Read "Aiming Part 2". He had pictures of an enclosure and it's placement. I noted to myself that his enclosure is very tiny compared to what myself and others have.

The top SPL trunk cars have the subs facing the cabin and completely sealed from the trunk. I think for typical installs rear facing is probably best. I wouldn't do that without properly deadening the trunk though.

hmm... so close to the hatch opening face the hatch is best? His pictures almost meant nothing to me.... didn't make alot of sense from how he explained it... and yes I was wondering how "close".... Seems like 5-6 inches but I'm trying to judge it from bad pictures... :(

In competing and daily... our results are a LOT different...

For daily you want the port to be as far away from the driver as possible for the low lows...

For a trunk, we typically fire a port to the side while firing sub FORWARD, not back.

this always results in good numbers in trunks..

VERY few instances have we seen different.

Also.. i have stated in the past do not use a single 18 in a trunk unless you have around 10-14cubes gross minimum...

I guess i'm gonna have to state... never use a 21 in a trunk regardless of the size....

You are choking the hell out of it.

Removing sealing causing the sub to get louder results in VERY POOR transfer of energy from the trunk to cargo area.

why?

The opening isn't large enough.

why?

Because the box is too large.

shizzon have you done any tests with the same car, amp, box and media? I would love to see your results and pictures if you have any.