Sign in to follow this  
manrossdamn

What to major in?

Hey guys, I'm just trying to see if anyone has any experience in these fields.

I'm fixing to graduate in a few months, and I don't think I'll be going to community college, but if I do, I'll be focusing toward Electrical Engineering.

I've loved working on cars for as long as I can remember, but my family disagree's with my choice, due to hard labor and that they only make so-so amounts of money.

After researching for a while, average first couple years a technicion makes around 35,000$, Electrical Engineering average starts off around 55,000$.

Thats close to a 20,000$ gain.

Do you think it is worth it to, go to a technical school? ex; Wyotech, UTI, SAM Houston?

I'm planning on going to University of Pennsylvania, my dad will be helping me pay for intuition.

I've read what we'll be learning, and I have no idea how to do calculus so far, because I haven't taken it yet.

If anything, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some heads up on other majors.

I don't know what else is out there, except for small things.

Thanks guys, just wanting to see what I can do later in life.

:fing34:

Hard to say Bro. With the way things are right now, people are having a rough time no matter what they majored in.

Business's around here are letting experience staff go because they can pay someone younger to do the job and pay them a third of what were.

My friends wife was let go last month, she was in pharma sales making nice coin - one of the tops in the company. They let her go and hired someone right out of school with 1/3 of the base. Sounds good to someone just starting out, but when you get married and have kids, no so much.

Good Luck to you no matter what decision you make Bro.

PS: Sam Houston brings back good memories. I played baseball there a LOOOOONG time ago. lol

it depends on how dedicated you are to the major... if you want a bachelors in electrical you will prob need 5 years of school depending on how the placement tests go...i wanted to be an electrical engr 2 years ago but decided to switch to industrial and systems engr in the first year...you will learn a whole lot more than a technician would thats for sure.... but you need to know a lot about a lot to get the bigger money right out of the gate.... i say to look up the curriculum for upenns ee program and research the course descriptions and c if you wanna spend 5 years learning about it.... engr is not an easy major by any means.... but engrs are one of the most wanted and needed positions in todays world tho....and btw if you really love cars i think mechanical is for you anyway.... it is less pay than electrical by a couple grand but it sounds like that would make you happier

Accounting demand is high, as our office is looking to hire a couple actually. I would say go with a major that has a Math background. I like Wyotech and I considered SAM but I went for more technical and business...but I ended up developing training/edcucation software and programs for the deisel industry, and teaching at a community college for 4 years before this.....so I combined strong technical aspects, business, and even education curriculum in my education plan. Be an asset, try to be different from every other applicant out there, but be sensible and marketable about it...for instance...as I was laid-off a few months ago, but I was hired in 3 weeks, and made more money even in these times...because there is not a lot of people that can do what I do....so experience matters....but it is even greater to match it with a quality education too....in something that you can accel at.

I'm in the Electrical Power Industry and the job outlook is great as the "Baby Boomers" are retiring faster than they can recruit younger replacements. Electrical Utilities are a secure place to work as you always need qualified individuals to keep the lights on. Just my .02!

Haha a "loooooooong" time ago lol

Dang, I heard.

My mom is telling me about people she cuts hair for, about how they're losing their jobs, or not making as much as they used to.

And my dad, well, he's doing fine but he doesn't live with us, he lives up north.

I don't want to waste money on a technical school, just read an article or two about it.

30,000$ for intuition when I can get grants, and financial aid for UoP for half the price.

Calculus 4 scares me..

I'm looking towards mechanical engineering also..

My dad always wanted me to do this, and I've been saying I'll do it someday since I was about 6.

I'll just get help when I need it.

Good luck to ya'll, hope this economy gets better..

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

^^^^

Scary!

Just looking at Calculus 4 makes me want to change my major, I guess I'll see whats out there.

Anyone want to share what they're majoring, or have majored in?

Just looking at Calculus 4 makes me want to change my major, I guess I'll see whats out there.

There is no calculus 4, you take calc 1, 2, 3 and then DiffEQ. Engineering is ridiculous...kicks my butt.

There is no calculus 4, you take calc 1, 2, 3 and then DiffEQ. Engineering is ridiculous...kicks my butt.

Haha, oh. I didn't know, but I'll let you tell me, I was just reading their curriculum.

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/undergraduate/degrees/maj-mechanical.php

SHSU has a good engineering program, but doesn't have the prestige/name recognition or networking opportunities of Texas A&M, Rice, Baylor, UT, or TCU. Plus you don't have to worry about out of state tuition costs or moving all the way to Pennsylvania.

im majoring in wind energy...sounds lame but it pays good and keeps you in shape, and its currently taking off, wind farms are going up everywhere.