j-roadtatts

Broken case on 250XP. New Design in the works?

Got it.. Thank you guys!

So now what? Are you going to contact us back or are we in the dark about whats going to happen next? I'm glad you got it but it doesn't help anything

Got it.. Thank you guys!

So now what? Are you going to contact us back or are we in the dark about whats going to happen next? I'm glad you got it but it doesn't help anything

Yes, as soon as I have something to contact you guys with. I already told you, multiple times that we should have the frames by the end of the week, it's not the end of the week yet and obviously nothings changed or I would have contacted you.

If I have things come into the shop with your real name, how are we supposed to give you the correct info here if I dont know that DarkTinman=Austin Arredondo? How do I know your not John Doe and are waiting for an alternator for a Tahoe? If I cant tie a real name to a Forum name, I have no idea who is asking questions, then try playing that guessing game across 20 forums... You see where I'm coming from??

I'm not trying to be a dick but in *this* situation I'm just as in the dark as everyone else, until the housings show up I have no idea if/when they are coming until I see 'em and I'm more pissed about waiting than you guys are.. These housings are now a MONTH passed when they were supposed to be here, trust me, as soon as they show up everyone will get their alternators and we can all move on....

What about the mounting and tighten brackets? Any change to those?

What about the mounting and tighten brackets? Any change to those?

We did reinforce them, just need to get them re-plated since the last ones we did we had cad plated... In all honesty, it's not the bracket that's the problem and it doesn't need any reinforcement but we did it to be safe.. We have one local car who's had that same setup for 18 months and hasn't had a SINGLE issue and he has our first gen bracket, BUT, he's running a different housing than the ones that are breaking.. I got a text this afternoon that they were "supposed" to be shipping tomorrow so my fingers are crossed.. Remember, I have 4 different housings I'm waiting for and ~100 or so unit's on backorder.. Trust me, I want these housings WAY worse than any of you...

I got the first three parts of one of the housings today for a final machining approval which is now done, the rest of the parts are on the mill as we speak and will be done Monday. SO, unless something CATASTOPHIC happens you will all have alternators in your hands by the end of next week!

I got the first three parts of one of the housings today for a final machining approval which is now done, the rest of the parts are on the mill as we speak and will be done Monday. SO, unless something CATASTOPHIC happens you will all have alternators in your hands by the end of next week!

To clarify ... Is that the end of this week or next week. You made that post on Friday so I'm not really sure which you meant.

Well, the good news is I got the castings today for the Honda's and they were perfect first shot.. SO I started building the alternators.. BUT, since the bracket we built was designed for the billet housing, our castings wont fit it because of the spacing of the adjustment ear.. That's kind of a good thing because I will have them make the brackets out of 3/8" plate and more reinforced this time just because I dont EVER want to have another one of these cars have issues.. So, I will have the fab shop start making the brackets tomorrow and we should have them done by Tuesday at the latest (they are right next door and are very fast, unlike our other suppliers)..

If I wouldn't have had the bracket issue, I would have shipped alts today guys, overnight to you all..

I can ship some (not powdercoated ones) tomorrow and ship brackets separate next week if you want, or I can ship them together with the brackets next week whichever you guys prefer.

I'll post a pic of the new housing later when I upload it..

Well, the good news is I got the castings today for the Honda's and they were perfect first shot.. SO I started building the alternators.. BUT, since the bracket we built was designed for the billet housing, our castings wont fit it because of the spacing of the adjustment ear.. That's kind of a good thing because I will have them make the brackets out of 3/8" plate and more reinforced this time just because I dont EVER want to have another one of these cars have issues.. So, I will have the fab shop start making the brackets tomorrow and we should have them done by Tuesday at the latest (they are right next door and are very fast, unlike our other suppliers)..

If I wouldn't have had the bracket issue, I would have shipped alts today guys, overnight to you all..

I can ship some (not powdercoated ones) tomorrow and ship brackets separate next week if you want, or I can ship them together with the brackets next week whichever you guys prefer.

Should everyone with a Honda alt get the new bracket to be safe or just people that have 250 and 270XP's?

I think its just for the accords because of how much vibration there are.

Should everyone with a Honda alt get the new bracket to be safe or just people that have 250 and 270XP's?

I think its just for the accords because of how much vibration there are.

What Phi said.. It's only the XP's on the Accords we had this problem with.. Everything else was golden.. I'm really going to hate scrapping $1500 worth of brackets because of this now, but life goes on...

How's it mount?

Not sure if this answers your question, but DC posted this on facebook:

I made the frame "universal" *as cast* but dependent on the individual application 2 of the ears will be machined off... This housing covers several hundred different applications as it's the most popular type of mount Denso made and still uses..

Just to give you guys an update... Our fabricator is backed up and I don't want to wait for brackets to be made so we are going to just face the casting where it needs to be so it matches the billet case and we'll be good to go. I'm just waiting on some tooling to come in for the mill that was backordered and as soon as i get it it will take me all of an hour to load the tool, write the program, and run ALL the parts... Either way, it will be faster than waiting for the fab shop. I'm sorry guys..

Just FYI, the difference is the thickness of the new casting vs the billet one on the adjustment ear. Our casting matches the stock Denso thickness, whereas the billet one was thinner (thickness wise).. Machining the castings like this will in NO way affect the strength of the casting as the problem area was on the pivot foot, and all we need to do is machine the rear face of the adjustment ear..

Next week, yes.. ALL of the alternators are actually built, but now I have to tear them down so I can machine them. I cant machine them until I get one stinking tool so I can make a fixture. As soon as I get that I'll make the fixture and run them. If I don't get it by Tuesday I will have someone just do it for us so I can get them out. I would have already done that but all the shops we deal with all have jobs running on their machines.. The new housings worked great for Toyotas because they mount on the opposite side of the adjusting ear.. I'm sorry about the additional delay, I just didn't forsee this one coming..