Fergjac

Help me pick my active setup!

Hey SSA! New member here with a few questions, hope you can help me out. I will be doing a build log soon on my 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. My plans are to have a single sub firing into the cabin with the trunk sealed off and the port through the rear deck. I know I will be getting a Fi BL but I am not positive on what size I will be able to fit firing forward ( I'll be making measurements tomorrow in shop class). I will power it with a Sundown 1500SAZ. Then for my active setup I want to run all identical amps so I will run a 100.4 (SUNDOWN) for my midrange and tweets and a 125.2 (SUNDOWN) for my midbass drivers. I know for sure that I want AA carbon fiber 7" for my midbass I just need some advice on what to do for my midrange (cone size, brand) and my tweets(brand). I wish AA made a component set, maybe they do and I just can't find it. Thanks guys (and gals?)

You can buy matching tweets to go with the AA carbons, BKOLFO4 on here is a dealer for Ascendant so send him a message about any questions or concerns you have. He will also be able to get you pricing.

We need more information then help me pick out a front stage. Where will you be mounting these drivers, how much space you have to work with, how much work you are willing to put into the doors, how much chopping you want to do the doors or the panel itself, how much expertise you have in installing a proper front stage?

If I were you I would start with a two-way setup(midbass/midrange and tweeters) up instead of a three-way setup (midbass, midrange and tweeters) since it will be way more difficult to construct, tune and install.

I would run the 2-AA Carbons on the SAX-100.2, one bridged to channels 1/2 and the other driver bridged on channels 3/4. I would use the SAX-125.2 for the tweeters, just my .02

Hey SSA! New member here with a few questions, hope you can help me out. I will be doing a build log soon on my 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. My plans are to have a single sub firing into the cabin with the trunk sealed off and the port through the rear deck. I know I will be getting a Fi BL but I am not positive on what size I will be able to fit firing forward ( I'll be making measurements tomorrow in shop class). I will power it with a Sundown 1500SAZ. Then for my active setup I want to run all identical amps so I will run a 100.4 (SUNDOWN) for my midrange and tweets and a 125.2 (SUNDOWN) for my midbass drivers. I know for sure that I want AA carbon fiber 7" for my midbass I just need some advice on what to do for my midrange (cone size, brand) and my tweets(brand). I wish AA made a component set, maybe they do and I just can't find it. Thanks guys (and gals?)

Welcome .... :drink40:

This would be a great buy!

Irmc AA are out of the Carbons or are running quite low. Actually AA makes a nice 2 way with the 7" Carbons and 1" Textile soft dome tweeter which are meant to run active.

Thanks for the tips guys, To answer your question I have no previous experience with active setups but I feel like I can learn things fast enough to jump the curve if you catch my drift. I really like the Idea of those the Bravox Carbon fiber 3 way setup. Would I still be able to run my original setup of amplifiers with the 4 channel and the two channel or would I have to get three amps to power my front stage. I'll have to take a bunch of pictures tomorrow and post them up so that I can show you what I'm working with. I really appreciate all the help guys. As for mounting positions I was hoping to fab up some glass to mount my tweets in the A-pillars and mount the other two speakers in the either the front doors or one in the front door and one in the rear door on each side of the car. I'm guessing it's best to put both up in the front doors. I'm willing to tear up the entire door panel if I must. I was hoping to mount some sort of mid-woofer back in the C-pillars at a later date because they are really wide and I really like the Idea of customizing this to my fullest ability. Again I have very little experience with this but I feel like I can stick it out.

I would start out with a nice 2way active.

Really easy to have a nice set up sound really bad.

That Bravox 98GMC linked would be nice. You could play with them active if you wanted, but have the passive xover to fall back on if needed.

Good luck.

I really should learn what I'm talking about before I start throwing out words. I though Active setup was having a component set with crossovers in them but when I just looked it up now it says that having the crossovers between the amp and the driver is passive. So active if I am correct is having using the crossovers built into the amp? Or is it putting crossovers on the signal sent to the amp?

I'd start out w/ a 2way active front first. Get a beefy 6.5'' mid & you won't need a dedicated midbass driver.....

the Image Dynamic CX62 mids are excellent for an active setup. They can handle 150-200w rms, play a broad freq range, & have amazing midbass.

Active crossovers are the headunit, amp or external eq between the amp and headunit. Instead of using a passive crossover and letting it do all the work, you will have all the drivers individually ran off different channels of the amp. You will have to continuosly tune the setup to get to your liking and it will take more than some days or a week or two. Not saying you cant do it, go for it man and ask any questions you have.

Personally if you do go with the Bravox I would say stick with passive crossovers as you will probably take forever to reach the performance they will get with the crossovers that were designed for them. Just my .02

Note taken, Thanks again for all the help. Sorry for the confusion. I have been looking at sundown amps again and now I realized why I was leaning towards the AQ amps. Would anybody here have experience with the 4.90 and or the 1200D from AudioQue? They are just much cheaper and they seem well made. I feel like the extra cost on Sundown amps is because of the Sundown Name.

Note taken, Thanks again for all the help. Sorry for the confusion. I have been looking at sundown amps again and now I realized why I was leaning towards the AQ amps. Would anybody here have experience with the 4.90 and or the 1200D from AudioQue? They are just much cheaper and they seem well made. I feel like the extra cost on Sundown amps is because of the Sundown Name.

not really, you get what you pay for.

sundown > AQ.

Do you have proof? I'm not just going to jump bandwagon like everybody else in the world.

Start off with a 2-way active setup and just get a pair of tweets to use with the AA CF mids. What's your budget for tweeters?

I'm going to go with the Bravox 3 way components most likely, I will probably try to Active run it. However I will have the passive to fall back on if I become to frustrated, as this is my first audio build on my own car. Plus the car isn't worth too much so I don't want to go all out on my first project.

I'm going to go with the Bravox 3 way components most likely, I will probably try to Active run it. However I will have the passive to fall back on if I become to frustrated, as this is my first audio build on my own car. Plus the car isn't worth too much so I don't want to go all out on my first project.

Cool beans, good luck with the install.

Do you have proof? I'm not just going to jump bandwagon like everybody else in the world.

Open the covers on both, it will be obvious. :)

Sundown utilizes superior internal components vs AQ hence the price difference. AQ is built to hit a price point and just takes an OEM design from the build house and stamps there name on it. Sundown has more R&D on their current models along with their own heat sink design.

:morepower1:

You are wasting money if you buy a passive setup and run it active. Why pay for the engineering that went into designing and tuning the passive setup if you are just going to throw it out the window?

Theres alot of benifits and good reasons to building an active setup, but just to have a 3way is not one of them.

Open the covers on both, it will be obvious. :)

this.

also, google sundown vs AQ . read 5-10min, buy a sundown.

LOL!

Buy the amp that has the power, features you need, and fits your budget.

You wont hear any difference.