Elton

is my amp a paper weight

was installing a new to me sae 1200 from db-r when the worst thing happen the bit fell out and arched the speaker terminals.. everything shut off came back speakers made a weird hissing noise so i swapped it out seem to help the sub works for a little then cuts out

Edited by Elton

Wasn't this thread already started here->

o no... first thing i would do is unplug the amp completely take it out of the car then tomrrow plug it all back in again.. kind a like a reset. and if the noise is still there contact db-r regarding what happened and what is going on and get his expert opinion on what is going on.

ya i made another thread thought maybe id get a better answer over here i did contact db-r said might of blown the outputs but it say it goes into protect if theres a short

Blown outputs is an easy fix for Chris. Just $$$ which sux but still a good amplifier. As a rule of thumb when I hook up an amplifier I always hook up power last or insert fuse in amp or fuse holder.

When hooking up an amp, the FUSE is the last thing that should be inserted..

i should mention my dumb ass thought it be good idea to set the gains with a dmm as i was tighten them down for a better fit that's when it all went down hill

Edited by Elton

When hooking up an amp, the FUSE is the last thing that should be inserted..

Basically what I do as well.

4-Way Protection Circuit (Thermal, Overload, Speaker Short, and Over Current ????

pretty sad if it broke that easy ive done it on accident with a few cheap amps and they still work fine

I would imagine if anything was really really wrong with it would have a protection light lit. It keeps trying to work, almost has to be something wrong with the incoming signal, would you happen to have a 3.5mm to RCA cable that you can plug into an MP3, Ipod, or some other portable device to verify the integrity of the amp?

Well, the cable would do that for you. One end has a 3.5mm (headphone plug) end on it, that would plug into the headphone jack on an MP3 player, Ipod, portable CD player, alarm clock radio, basically anything that is a source other than your HU. The other end of the cable has RCA's on it, that would simply plug into the inputs on the amp.

You need to stop blaming the amp. It is all your fault. :suicide-santa:

And did you just say the amp shut off? So it tried to protect itself......

I had more respect for you before this incident and you blaming nothing but the amp.

pretty sad if it broke that easy ive done it on accident with a few cheap amps and they still work fine

Car audio installation. Pay a "professional " to do it for you bro.

that just defeats the whole purpous of learning in my opinon.. :ughdunno:

that just defeats the whole purpous of learning in my opinon.. :ughdunno:

Learning is messing up 1 amp. Stupidity is doing it more than once.

ya theres no pro's around here lol unless i drive for 2+ hours