edouble101

Kenwood KDC-X994...... issues!!!!

So I just installed (yesterday) my brand spank'in new Kenwwod KDC-X994. I soldered all my connections and I am using the units built in power to power my factory speakers. I am building a system and need tunes to hold me over so that's why I am running HU power. Today on my way to work I had that volume at 28/35 for one song. Half way through the song the volume slowly decreases and stays there for 5 seconds than slowly increase. Hmmm what the hell! I never had a HU do this. I continued to listen as the volume would fluctuate from "loud" to soft. I knew I didn't have a connection issue, just based on the frequency and duration that the volume was changing, it wasn't an abrupt on/off.

I called Crutchfield and the techy said that 28 was too high of a volume level for a unit rated at max volume level 35. I said uhhh what the hell that's around 75%, should be golden. He then told me to turn off a factory "on" preset. This preset is "Supreme+". This preset attempts to make up for recording defects, blah blah...gimmick. So I did what he said. I was listening at volume level 26 and the unit was doing the same thing!!! I called Crutchfield again and was told that I have a blown speaker in my car causing the HU to go into protect :roflmao: I dont think so. There is no audible notification of a blown speaker in my car.

To end, the techy is sending me a new KDC-X994 just to reassure me that it isn't the HU that is bad. Has anybody experienced similar issues with a HU running factory speakers? I have been installing HU's for about 16 years now and never had this issue.

Is the built-in amplifier too powerful for you vehicle's charging system, creating voltage drops? :ughdunno:

Edited by 00WJGC

I have a KDC-X492 in my Jimmy running the PG RSD's in it. I run that thing right up the first hint of distortion and back down a notch on a regular basis and that level is often 28,29,30 or higher depending on the recording level of the material I'm listening to. Not only has it always sounded pretty damn amazing for HU power, it's never done anything like that. I have a KDC-X991 in the van, but everything is externally amplified so comparing to it is no help.

I can't imagine any reason why it would do this, except maybe it's driving through a factory amp, damaged that amp and is now causing some sort of short issue. Other than something like that, I dunno without it being the HU itself. Wait for the replacement and see what happens I guess.

I have a KDC-X492 in my Jimmy running the PG RSD's in it. I run that thing right up the first hint of distortion and back down a notch on a regular basis and that level is often 28,29,30 or higher depending on the recording level of the material I'm listening to. Not only has it always sounded pretty damn amazing for HU power, it's never done anything like that. I have a KDC-X991 in the van, but everything is externally amplified so comparing to it is no help.

I can't imagine any reason why it would do this, except maybe it's driving through a factory amp, damaged that amp and is now causing some sort of short issue. Other than something like that, I dunno without it being the HU itself. Wait for the replacement and see what happens I guess.

I didn't think of that, I was thinking defective unit or bad ground. OP, does the vehicle have an external factory amplifier?

Is the built-in amplifier too powerful for you vehicle's charging system, creating voltage drops? :ughdunno:

Electrical is sufficient for 22x4 wrms. Check out my build log.

I think the hu is faulty but Crutchfield techies are saying different. They are sending me a replacement hu. I didnt purchase my vehicle with the upgraded audio package. Without a doubt I do not have a factory amp.

I didn't think of that, I was thinking defective unit or bad ground. OP, does the vehicle have an external factory amplifier?

Again check my build log. Hu ground is at battery ground. I do not have a factory amp.

Thanks for the relies guys!

Edited by edouble101

Never heard of this. I, too, have the same radio and absolutely love it. I can't think of any settings or anything I have thus far encountered that would cause what you are describing to happen. It is a great radio! Make sure you have DSP set to through. The sound processor in that thing really does make a difference. Supreme+ basically boosts very low and very high frequencies lost in the lossy mp3 format. The bluetooth feature of that radio is very cool.

Could you be accidentally pushing the attenuate button on the remote (I know... just trying though).

Edited by nick_19

Never heard of this. I, too, have the same radio and absolutely love it. I can't think of any settings or anything I have thus far encountered that would cause what you are describing to happen. It is a great radio! Make sure you have DSP set to through. The sound processor in that thing really does make a difference. Supreme+ basically boosts very low and very high frequencies lost in the lossy mp3 format. The bluetooth feature of that radio is very cool.

Could you be accidentally pushing the attenuate button on the remote (I know... just trying though).

I do not have the remote in the car. I an not touching the hu when this happens. Thanks for your suggestions!

I haven't used the bluetooth yet but I plan on it!

I am going to check the impedence of the speakers soon.....

-My replacement hu I was sent does the same thing. The volume cuts out at volume settings above 22/35.

-I checked the impedence of the individual speakers from the hu plug. They all measure 3.6 ohms.

-I checked my ground wire impedence 0.000 ohms. I even switched my ground wire to the stock ground and the volume drop still happens.

-The hu is snug in the dash but does have room to breathe.

-I think I may disconnect the factory tweeters in the a-pillars and see if that does anything.

-The volume drop is being caused by the hu overheating and going into protect. Why is the hu overheating??????

Hmmmm...I have the x794 and I love it...I'm using an external amp though but I will say it did get hot sometimes, to where I could feel it on the back of the faceplate when I took it off, but I have since switched off the internal amp in the settings. You should try to turn off the RCA outs (in...like Initial Setup or something like that. I'll get back to you) if you're not using them and see if it runs cooler. Also try turning off the AUX out if you're not using it.

Hmmmm...I have the x794 and I love it...I'm using an external amp though but I will say it did get hot sometimes, to where I could feel it on the back of the faceplate when I took it off, but I have since switched off the internal amp in the settings. You should try to turn off the RCA outs (in...like Initial Setup or something like that. I'll get back to you) if you're not using them and see if it runs cooler. Also try turning off the AUX out if you're not using it.

I never heard of turning RCAs off. Gotta look into it.

I am thinking that the cause its a faulty speaker but the impedence checks out good.

My voltage is 12.54v with my ground to battery, 12.51v with stock ground and car off at the Kenwood plug.