holley2346

Extremely Disappointed

I've been a FI guy ever since my first Fi sub...... I've been in love and never have doubted Fi.

That is until I got these gen 3 neo btl's.... the bass is far different compared to my gen 2 even in a very similar enclosure.... I don't feel like typing a long drawn out review at the moment but in general I am disappointed....

Secondly I beat on my gen 2 btl with a 3000D at 1 ohm for almost two years and was happy... I recently sold this setup so I could try out the neo's...

Well tonight one of my subs started scraping.... took it out of the box and it ohmed out perfect. I then free aired it and it was apparent I had a problem... so after taking the moving assembly out of the basket this is what I found.

2011-01-20%2018.09.40.jpg

2011-01-20%2018.09.35.jpg

These subs are brand new with less than 6 hours of playing time.... this sub was paired with another one, and both of them were getting their power from a 3000D... therefore their 2000 watt rms was not even likely met...

Every time I try calling I get no answer, which is why I'm posting here....

Any help is appreciated.

Looking at the conditions I would expect something like this to be covered by Fi, considering that this is far from the only product I have purchased from you.

But if for some reason it is not, there is not a place to order in the Recones section and I'd appreciate it if someone would contact me via phone / email.

t - o - d - d dot h o l l e y at gmail dot com

pm me for phone number.

Any help is greatly appreciated

wouldnt throwing more than the rated rms at the sub void warranty? although the coil does look screwed up :-/

wouldnt throwing more than the rated rms at the sub void warranty? although the coil does look screwed up :-/

The amp is rated at 3000 watts at 1 ohm at 14.4 volts

Since I haven't gotten my electrical problems fixed my voltage is dipping down far below this... therefore these subs weren't seeing any higher wattage than their rms.

would be cool if they took care of it

edit: just re read, you had that 3000 goin to (2) n2's not 1. my bad

Edited by smashedz28

I never did like the look of those new N2's...

i agree with u bassahaulic. some ppl will love them cause its "different", but i loved the look of the gen 2's with that big ol' ass they have

now on topic that sucks one fried on u and hope fi hooks u up

i agree with u bassahaulic. some ppl will love them cause its "different", but i loved the look of the gen 2's with that big ol' ass they have

now on topic that sucks one fried on u and hope fi hooks u up

I hope so... I've spent plenty of $$ with them to at least get a recone and some epoxy out of it....

I really don't care what the thing looks like as long as it performs well.... and I am not impressed in the performance department, especially compared to the gen2...

But who knows, the numbers may blow my socks off.... I am over a 150 already with plenty of room to grow wattage wise and box efficiency wise. SPL isn't what I'm doubting, the quality of the sound is what I'm not impressed with.... compared to the gen2.

Edited by holley2346

Clipped from low voltage you admitted to ? These must have been lowered impedence than your previous subs. Trying to run that 3k at .5ohm ? LOL

Edited by vic713

Clipped from low voltage you admitted to ? These must have been lowered impedence than your previous subs. Trying to run that 3k at .5ohm ? LOL

My gains are set correctly, I appreciate your input but ruining top dollar equipment is not on my to do list.

I'd also like to add that my gains aren't set at full potential, and neither were the subs played at full potential. I'm not about harming my equipment just so I can hear some loud sound for a few minutes.

Edited by holley2346

Pretty asshole like reply.

He said he ran the 3k on a single woofer so I'm sure he can set a gain right.

wtf you must have gotten a fluke sub wow interesting.

Im thinking an by the looks of that coil you clipped the sub to all hell. Which obviously resulted in HEAT! Here is my question though, did the sub/subs ever get stinky? How did you set the gain right? What did you use? Im by no means trying to be a dick, just curious on a few things.

The amp just got back from repair today actually.

And sorry if I sounded as if I "deserved" something... as that's far from what I was intending.

My gains are set audibly, it's the way I've always done them.... it has worked fine for the past few years and as previously mentioned I had 0 problems out of running this 3000D on a gen 2 btl for almost two years. The gains have not changed since the last setup, and shouldn't have since I still have the same radio and only changed out the sub.

This is the first sub I have ever "blown"... it just seems odd that even though it's blown, it is still showing normal resistance levels.

Thanks!

Also, as a note to anyone reading my opinions about the subs.... you can take them however you want them... my opinions are what they are, just my opinions... Just because I like the way a gen2 sub plays better than the neo doesn't mean you will feel the same way. I love Fi's products and their support... just liked the gen 2 btls a little better. Needless to say I expect a nice number once I get everything set up properly. :fing34:

I also think I should describe my "voltage issues" into further detail.... maybe the terms I used were a little extreme for my situation. By saying I am having voltage issues I am only stating situations where the voltage dips below the relative float voltage (~13.0) of my battery bank which is over 800 AH and well over 5600 CCA. Voltages I am seeing are not going below the 12.4 mark, which isn't much of a problem generally... but I want to stay at a healthy 14.4+ (which is why I have already ordered the equipment to do so).

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by holley2346

(which is why I have already ordered the equipment to do so).

What sort of equipment did you order? I am relatively new to high output sound systems so I am unfamiliar how you would get a steady voltage out of a car's electrical system.

Edited by OMartinez

Pretty arseho like reply.

He said he ran the 3k on a single woofer so I'm sure he can set a gain right.

Yeah, ok new guy. If you say so.

There is only one way to ruin a sub like that, too much power.

I would be very surprised if they cover any of that, those types of failures are only user error.

I would be very surprised if they cover any of that, those types of failures are only user error.

You left out a clipped signal.

Sweet, you love the look. What a great reason to buy a sub :(

You left out a clipped signal.

He didn't leave out shit. He said "too much power". Perhaps I could simplify that for you and state that too much average power is "too much power".

I never did like the look of those new N2's...

What does the look of a sub have to do with a coil failure ?

:ughdunno:

This feels just like when the gen 2's came out. Very few people believed they would perform like the first gen's. OMG, it looks so out of the box, it can't be good.

(which is why I have already ordered the equipment to do so).

What sort of equipment did you order? I am relatively new to high output sound systems so I am unfamiliar how you would get a steady voltage out of a car's electrical system.

Well at first I only had 4 yellow tops and a dual alternator kit.... I doubled my battery storage and am going triple alts. I have the extra alternator, I'm just waiting on the bracket. :fing34:

If your goal is to keep voltage above your batteries float voltage you must have enough alternator power to keep up with your load(s).

Whether Fi covers this or not, there is no place to order a n2 recone on their site. Out of experience in contacting fi, this seems to be the best way (ssa forum). Which is why I'm here.

Edited by holley2346