holley2346

Extremely Disappointed

You left out a clipped signal.

Which results in extra heat build-up, same sort of thing. Only too things can kill a sub: heat and over-excursion(mechanical failure).

You left out a clipped signal.

Which results in extra heat build-up, same sort of thing. Only too things can kill a sub: heat and over-excursion(mechanical failure).

No it doesn't.

But what do I know, lol....

(which is why I have already ordered the equipment to do so).

What sort of equipment did you order? I am relatively new to high output sound systems so I am unfamiliar how you would get a steady voltage out of a car's electrical system.

Well at first I only had 4 yellow tops and a dual alternator kit.... I doubled my battery storage and am going triple alts. I have the extra alternator, I'm just waiting on the bracket. :fing34:

If your goal is to keep voltage above your batteries float voltage you must have enough alternator power to keep up with your load(s).

Who are you going through for your alternator kit?

When you say you liked the UFO style better, can you go into more detail?

Also, had the N2 purpose broken in yet?

As far as the sub messing up.

I've only had one sub blow that I didn't mean to. But I was running triple RMS, and I smelled it about 30 times, then one day no smell, it just burnt up, similar to that.

But I've blown another on purpose, and it smelled God awful for 5 mins before it finally bit the dust.

Any update on this? If it's not going to be covered or anything I'd like to go ahead and pay and get it shipped out.... I'm having to push everything back now since my equipment failure.

Thanks!

Any update on this? If it's not going to be covered or anything I'd like to go ahead and pay and get it shipped out.... I'm having to push everything back now since my equipment failure.

Thanks!

Just e-mail sales "at" ficaraudio.com, and or nick "at" ficaraudio.com link this post and they'll get back with you on what to do. Sorry about your situation bro. Patients is virtue.

No it doesn't.

"Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount."

You do realize that this:

There is only one way to ruin a sub like that, too much power.

I would be very surprised if they cover any of that, those types of failures are only user error.

Doesn't lead up to this:

No it doesn't.

"Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount."

He never said clipping killed anything and it won't, unless because of the clipping you are putting too much average power into the driver.

You do realize that this:

There is only one way to ruin a sub like that, too much power.

I would be very surprised if they cover any of that, those types of failures are only user error.

Doesn't lead up to this:

No it doesn't.

He never said clipping killed anything and it won't, unless because of the clipping you are putting too much average power into the driver.

I stated the same, heat build-up due to clipping. I also stated that overheating and physically tearing the woofer apart are the only ways to blow it(short of manufacturer defect)...isn't this pretty common knowledge?

Edited by RAM_Designs

Heat is a voicecoil's foe.

understatement... Heat is the devil to all electronics... there is nothing worse in the world than heat build up on a component no matter the task it is intended for.. Good luck with your situation holley... hopefully it is quick.. :suicide-santa:

Heat is a voicecoil's foe.

understatement... Heat is the devil to all electronics... there is nothing worse in the world than heat build up on a component no matter the task it is intended for.. Good luck with your situation holley... hopefully it is quick.. :suicide-santa:

I found this out first hand with my first install when I was 15-16. Nearly burnt my Mustang down. (:

Yea, well apparently alternators easily make dry leaves into flames... especially when they get trapped between the rubber boot that should be covering the charging bolt... Found this out on the NJ Turnpike ... Not a good thing at 2am coming from NYC... :suicide-santa:

Yea, well apparently alternators easily make dry leaves into flames... especially when they get trapped between the rubber boot that should be covering the charging bolt... Found this out on the NJ Turnpike ... Not a good thing at 2am coming from NYC... :suicide-santa:

I learned that it's best to disconnect the negative battery when you're messing w/ an amplifier....liked to of jolted my brother & burned my 1st ride down w/ one touch of the amplifier casing. :shrug:

Now I actually understand how a vehicle charging system works & why the battery should be disconnected......

lesson learned =]

Umm... lolz... I know that part... Problem was this happened while I was driving... Leaf debris flew up into the engine compartment and made its way up to the alternator charging bolt... Smelled smoke... Pulled over, opened hood.. see red on alternator, look closer... gust of wind and POOF!! Flames for funsies!!! :jon:

No, a clipped signal doesn't create any more heat than an unclipped signal of equal power.

I did a test on this.

I know people will argue this, but it isn't valid to me until you spend the time like I did.

clipping results

Edited by 95Honda

Holy Fack. Forgot about forceaudio. Pretty sure It's still in my sig.

Good article though. I've pointed a few people to that.

No, a clipped signal doesn't create any more heat than an unclipped signal of equal power.

I did a test on this.

I know people will argue this, but it isn't valid to me until you spend the time like I did.

clipping results

"We could not prove within the scope of our test that a different signals of normalized power would have any different effects on the driver, regardless of the amount of cone excursion."

Very interesting. Goes against common sense when you'd figure that greater excursion for a given power level will give better cooling. Maybe it would be more vital with woofers that rely on cooling via motor cooling technology, VC former cooling, vents in the basket between the spider and motor, spacers between the basket and motor, etc. moreso than the cheap PE drivers you were using that probably had non of these features?

I'm sure it makes a difference, but the test just goes to show clipping isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Additionally, the excursion with those small drivers is proportional to a few inches in a large driver...

I haven't seen many other people go to this length to test this either...

There's a million "what ifs", but when you break it down, it's hard to dispute hard data...

Everyone says a clipped signal produces more heat, I proved it doesn't...

Everyone says a clipped signal produces more heat, I proved it doesn't...

I wouldn't say that it necessarily produces more heat, but the lack of cooling due to a clipped signal not allowing as much excursion presents an opportunity for heat to build up easier.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Well, like I proved in the test, this isn't the case... But take it for what it is...

I think people neglect the actuall efficiency of thermal transfer. The air isn't coming out as a steady flow, it is constantly changing in pressure and velocity.... Without testing, it is an erroneous assumption to say clipping negatively efffects thermal cooling do to air flow, it could actualy be the opposite. But until you do a test, you cannot make this statement, you can only make an assumption... And as with most car audio, assumptions are usually wrong...

Additionally, depending on the dampening of the driver, a clipped signal of the same power will allow more excursion than an unclipped one....

Edited by 95Honda

holy shit....glad i waited to find an oscilloscope before i even touched my gain. i would shit bricks if that happened to mine. whats a recone run anyways....$100?