Sign in to follow this  
armyranger3858

what 12s hit low

i need a 12 because i need to save a bit of space dont want any sub rated over 900 rms....price doesnt matter and whatever box i build it will be tuned to 32hz

Edited by armyranger3858

ascendant audio chaos will play pretty low and they are rated at 800 rms but will take more if you wanted to

All subwoofers are made to play "low". The way you set them up is what will predict how well it plays "low". Just because a sub is rated for more power than 900 watts, doesn't mean it won't sound good on 900watts, and may even hit "lower" than the 900 watt rated sub on the same power.

All sub woofers hit low. Just that some do it better than others. It all comes down to the installation, type of vehicle and of course a properly calculated and built enclosure.

I would go with a SSA Icon In a 2.25 cubic foot enclosure tuned around 30-32 hertz

Not to pick on the OP but this question "stupid" for a lack of a better word. It also gets asked way to many times. Install dependent is the biggest factor. Tuning your box to 32hz will achieve "the lows." I agree with Audibel Customs with what they suggested, problem is you need to find a used Icon or wait a little longer for the new ones to come out.

What does the rms ratting have to do with anything?

Tuning to 32 hertz will achieve the "lows" in most cases hower, It is also dependant on the sub and size of the enclosure. I have modeled and bilt plenty of enclosures tuned to 32 hertz because that is what people HAD to have. However modeling showed a -3db rolloff around 35 herts. This is not taking in to account the environment in which the enclosure is located in. In my personal vehicles with moddest bass that is designed to accually listen to and not just hear, I will tune around 26 hertz depending on the set up so I can achieve a flat curve with a -3db rolloff around 27-28 hertz. Again this is based on modeling software which cannot take into account the environment the enclosure will be in.

I assume he already has an amp?

Edited by Audibel Customs

I assume he already has an amp?

Yeah, that is what I am guessing at too, but the stigma of matching RMS to RMS drives me nuts sometimes.

Yeah, that is what I am guessing at too, but the stigma of matching RMS to RMS drives me nuts sometimes.

Same here. I think I've underpowered(hate that word too) nearly every setup I've had...granted I don't look to push my stuff to the max like some people do. Hell, I had a pair of 1st gen IXL's running on a bridged Cadence DCA4100, 250watts per sub, and I could bring them past xmax in a larger than recommended box. Same with my TC2+ Assassins, I could make their surrounds start to fold.

Edited by RAM_Designs

The OP stated he wanted to save space. So let's assume he wants an enclosure built will be spec's recomended by the manufacturer. A rms power rating should coinside with the recomended enclosure size stated by the manufacturer. And if the rms rating is in fact a rms thermal raing and not rating to reach xmax at the specified enclosure size then that needs to be stated.