Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

hissing/popping noise from one speaker

So here is the scoop. 02 Silverado with older Pio Premier, H701, C701, Sundown 100.4, Sundown 1000D, big 3 with all 1/0 (pos to alt, neg to frame, neg to cab).

Had some trouble with some tweets blowing (Link to that thread) and narrowed it down to the Sundown amp. Quote from previously linked thread below

I switched the tweeter wires around so the left was playing on the right and when I got in my truck I immediately heard a hissing and popping sound from the tweet. I turned the HU off and it continues until the amp powers down. I drove around and periodically turned on the radio and every time I heard it. I switched between AUX, CD and Tuner and it was the same. When I stopped again I switched the RCA inputs and still heard it. Keep in mind that when I switched the RCA inputs the new RCA did not even have signal going to it (turned off at the processor). I switched the wiring for the channels again and the problem is gone.

So now I am 99.9% sure it is the amp. I will be contacting DB-R electronics as they have done work on this amp before.

Had it sent to db-r they sent it back after they replaced some things. This is what db-r said...

As far as I could tell, the only way I could get distortion in channel 1 or 2 was to push on some small caps in the input circuit, that we sometimes see fail. Pushing on them distorted the signal, these caps have been known to go bad sometimes, usually results in distortion or channel sound going completely out then coming back on when you hit a bump in the road, etc. So I replaced those caps, for channel 1 and 2, and also replaced some transistors in the channel 1 output circuit just to be sure the problem wasn't coming from somewhere else. I checked the RCA jacks, they are all fine, as is the speaker output terminals. The caps we replaced with much higher grade capacitors that will not fail.

So I got it back and during the re-install I installed a Alpine W505, added a HU ground to metal in the truck. For the amp ground I ran a bolt through my cab with 1/0 on one side to the distro and 2 2gauge strands on the other side (had it so I used it). The 2 gauge strands run to the frame. The rest was left the same

Couple days later it started again.... poppin' and hissin'.

I'm really at a loss on what to do now. Db-r had to TRY to make this happen and then replaced it with stuff they said would not fail, all my grounds are up to par. Could it be the H701??? I really hope not... I really have serious doubts that db-r messed up but anything could happen I suppose. I really just want to get this fixed. I can't afford to junk another $40 tweet.

Check the wires from the Amp to the tweets? Might be shit wire.........Try with other speakers/wire and see if you can still replicate the problem?

J

Take the 701 out of the equation and see if the noise stops. If that doesn't work try a different amp. I am sure through the process of elimination you should be able to find the problem.

Take the 701 out of the equation and see if the noise stops. If that doesn't work try a different amp. I am sure through the process of elimination you should be able to find the problem.

Unhooked the RCA's from the 4 channel and it continued. Didn't unhook them from the sub amp. Shouldn't make a difference but you never know. So it still has to do with something from the amp to tweet. I'll switch the wiring around for chan 1/2 but if I remember correctly I did that before and it did in fact switch which speaker made the popping leading me to believe it was from channel 1.

Could it be in the HU itself? From the rca outputs on the hu back to the input on the amp maybe. :shrug:

So you say you swapped tweeters and the noise stayed in the same channel? Do you have another amp you could test with? Maybe run a temporary test speaker wire to the speaker and eliminate the wiring.

Going to try a couple things this evening.

1. Switch speaker wires for channel 1/2 and see if the problem switches tweets.

If it contintues its obviously a problem with channel 1.

If it doesn't then its a problem with the wire/tweeter. The wire is designed for underground use, each wire is individually coated then a "fiberglass" packing is woven within it and another tough plastic liner around it (Got it on the cheap from Dayton or Monoprice). I really doubt the wire is a problem unless it is at the connection points. I know that I have coated connections on the ends and that the amp side is fine. Would it be possible that I am having residual problems from when the amp was previously messing up and the tweeter is actually busted and is inducting it's own noise into the system? Unfortunately I do not have another amp to test this theory if this ends up being true.

Thanks for the help, it helps to write this stuff out as I go along and to get input from others. It keeps my sanity and stops me from overlooking the obvious.

you have an ipod or mp3 player with the headphone jack to rca cord? take the HU out of the equation.

I don't think its the HU cause OP already stated he changed it and problem still exist. The RCA s might be sending a bad signal due to being pinched somewhere. Try the iPod thing.

Definitely wasn't the HU because I unplugged the RCA's and it still did it.

Finally got around to messing with it today and its definitely channel one. If you turn up the HU to a good volume the tweeter on channel 1 sounds terrible. So I switched the wiring for the tweeterss and the opposite tweet sounded bad. Went ahead and switched the RCA's for good measure but it still came from channel 1.

Going to send DB-r an email tonight and sure I'll be sending it back in the AM.

Definitely wasn't the HU because I unplugged the RCA's and it still did it.

Finally got around to messing with it today and its definitely channel one. If you turn up the HU to a good volume the tweeter on channel 1 sounds terrible. So I switched the wiring for the tweeterss and the opposite tweet sounded bad. Went ahead and switched the RCA's for good measure but it still came from channel 1.

Going to send DB-r an email tonight and sure I'll be sending it back in the AM.

Damn! U and those fucking tweeters!