Sign in to follow this  
cjackxiii

Requesting comments on my new setup

I am currently in the process of building my dream system in my dream car (1970 olds). My experience with sound systems is limited to small amps and subs, never anything as big or expensive as I am attempting now.

I am purchasing 2 12'' dual 1 ohm BTLs (as an spl driver) with all the trimmings and the option in the recommended enclosure shown in the cut sheets that are provided in the Tech forum.

The amp I'm going to be using to power these beasts is a T40001bd.

T40001bd - 4000 watt 1-channel amplifer

1500x1 @ 4 ohms, 3000x1 @ 2 ohms, 4000x1 @ 1 ohms.

I just ordered a 270 amp alternator that does 120 amps (or 170) in idle from dc alternators (as recommended from someone in these forums).

Unfortunately until I can get enough coin (1200+ what I was quoted from http://www.marchperf.com) to upgrade my system from a v belt setup to a serpantine belt system at high rmps the alternator will most likely slip impacting its high end output.

I was planning on also throwing in a couple regular automotive batteries I have sitting around as a buffer between the alternator peeks and the amplifier's demand.

Now what I want to know is what do the sound system gurus in this forum recommend as any additions I should take in order to get my moneys worth out of my setup and not damage the speakers and amps.

I have read through numerous posts in these forums and a bunch of terms are thrown around that upon reading have hunted down the definitions for but with such a recent introductions to the possible dangers in these high end systems I just wanted to touch base with you guys in case I'm missing something.

Id downgrade that to one driver and run that amp at lower wattage or get a much smaller amp. I wouldn't go in knowing there is a problem that serious as "alternator slip". I guess that's just me though.

Id downgrade that to one driver and run that amp at lower wattage or get a much smaller amp. I wouldn't go in knowing there is a problem that serious as "alternator slip". I guess that's just me though.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm planning on babying my system until I'm able to upgrade my belt system. While talking it over with Stan (good guy highly recommend) at dc power the slippage wouldn't occur at low-mid rpm range and wouldn't impact the high output significantly.

I also didn't want to start of with a smaller amp then later want to upgrade and have to deal with selling the old inadequate amplifier.

Will keeping it down protect the amp+speakers from damage?

Shogan-again, I appreciate your fast response

Edited by OMartinez

get better batteries than them "automotive batts" u speak of, look @ XS 1st if u can afford and if not then id go kinetik, and a great budget batt is a deka...get a few and dont mix n match batts., other than that ur on the right track

If DC Power is fine with the setup and it makes sense then I'd go for that part. As far as the amp goes, if you haven't purchased it then look into something a little less robust. If you're set on it or already own the amplifier then keep gain to a minimum depending on what route you go.

Things to think about:

Will 2 BTLs fit in their optimal enclosures? Ported or sealed? BTLs are meant to be ported so lets hope you have the right space.

Are you going to deaden the hell out if the car?

What front stage are you going to install?

Edited by Shogen

I shure would like to see some pics ot the Olds ... :NeedPics: Sounds like a Awesome system ... Best of luck to ya !!!

If DC Power is fine with the setup and it makes sense then I'd go for that part. As far as the amp goes, if you haven't purchased it then look into something a little less robust. If you're set on it or already own the amplifier then keep gain to a minimum depending on what route you go.

Things to think about:

Will 2 BTLs fit in their optimal enclosures? Ported or sealed? BTLs are meant to be ported so lets hope you have the right space.

Are you going to deaden the hell out if the car?

What front stage are you going to install?

I already own the amp, actually owned it for a couple of years, I just haven't had a car I wanted to put it in. I'm planning on doing a ported enclosure and it will fit. When you ask for the front stage are you referring to the mids and highs? If so for my mids I have a couple of three-way and a couple two-way 6x9's and a couple of assorted mid range amps to choose from. I'm not as particular as with the sub setup. I've been covetingr Fi's BTLs for the past couple years.

Other than dynamat or raamat is there any other recommendations on deadner mat to use.

Edited by OMartinez

get better batteries than them "automotive batts" u speak of, look @ XS 1st if u can afford and if not then id go kinetik, and a great budget batt is a deka...get a few and dont mix n match batts., other than that ur on the right track

Do you have any personal experience with any of these different brands of batteries?

I shure would like to see some pics ot the Olds ... :NeedPics: Sounds like a Awesome system ... Best of luck to ya !!!

Definatly. Unless it blows up :drink40:

I've had kinetic batteries. They were ok. But didn't last as long as I'd like. For the money I'd run Deka. If you look around you can find group 31 Deka blems for just over 100 plus shipping.

Thats funny that im planning on running almost the same set up. T40001bd on two 15 btl n2's. got the entire set up except for high amp alt. My batteries are 3 optima d31's and still dont feel there enough. Going into a two door tahoe. Thinking I AM A end up having to have 2 alt's. Running all zero gauge wire and sub box to spec is a must for sure. Good luck!!!!

Make sure you have the electrical to properly back your amp, set the gains correctly, keep the signal clean, and know your systems signs of stress/ when to back off. Should be a nice setup. In for build log.

Would suggest some pro audio for front stage to keep up with them subs. Couple sets of Selenium 6w4p 6" mid range and 2 ST350 super tweets ought to do the trick. I have 1 set of 6w4p and 1 set of Vifa 1" textile dome tweets on an AP3002 and it is suprisingly loud for what it is, but is crisp and clear at the same time.

Edited by PHATBOi

Thanks for all the great input, as soon as i got everything going ill post pics. Has anyone ever lined their trunk with fiberglass?

Sign in to follow this