TrakDay

Ported SA-12... wow

I wanted some bass in my truck and decided I was going to do a small setup for daily use. So I ordered a SubThump box, didn't want to deal with the angle of under the seat. That box will be filled with a Mach 5 Audio IXL 10". After ordering that I decided to see about possibly doing a ported setup for the hell of it. Basically means I lose a seat in my truck when running this setup. So I decided to have RAM_Design design a ported enclosure for the SA-12 I ordered. We decided on 1.85ft^3 tuned to 32Hz. The design and cutsheet from RAM made it extremely easy for us to build the box quickly without measuring 50 times to be certain. This is the first ported box I have ever built, so it was all new to me.

Anyways the SA-12 is absolutely amazing! I am so impressed by this sub and I haven't turned the amp up beyond half way yet, figured a nice breakin period would be nice. I think this sub single SA-12 is as loud as my 3 RF HX2 12s were back in the day... This makes me wish I had a better vehicle to put a system in so I could build something even crazier. Thats alright though, 2 of my buddies want SA subs now, so I will atleast get to build a few more setups for these SAs.

Well here are the pictures of the ported setup... Note the last picture, thats the amp rack which will soon hold the amp with nice and neat wires!

Vehicle getting the stereo

L1010367.jpg

zx750.1

L1010522.jpg

L1010523.jpg

L1010526.jpg

Thanks RAM_Design...

L1010531.jpg

L1010538.jpg

L1010540.jpg

L1010551.jpg

L1010552.jpg

Amp Rack

L1010516.jpg

Thanks SUNDOWNZ... This sub is killer and much more than I was honestly expecting!

very nice box! lovely truck!

Also, OP.. careful with that setup, your amp SSF is fixed at 25hz...

Also, OP.. careful with that setup, your amp SSF is fixed at 25hz...

So should I not even be using it? I don't know that it is even on now. Like I said though... I still haven't put much power to it yet. Just making sure everything is working properly and breaking it in right now.

Thanks for the comments on the box guys. My buddy had the cuts done in like 30 minutes and had it put together by the time I had finished wiring everything up! I think we had 4 hours in the entire thing.

I'd take the gain down even from where you have it now... Hopefully someone can chime in and offer other solutions rather than getting a different amplifier...

The gain is not even halfway right now. I have no intentions of raising it as I simply don't think I need it any louder than it currently gets. My plan is to eventually get a Sundown Amp... but for now this will have to do. I gotta get my race car back together before I put any more money into this truck.

Amp Mounted...

L1010561.jpg

L1010566.jpg

Factory Nav... I love this way too much to give it up for an aftermarket DD.

L1010563.jpg

Thing is a Beast!

L1010557.jpg

looks sick... you gonna carpet that box up???

Ignore the amp settings in the picture... LOL Thats from holding it trying to mount it by myself just now.

looks sick... you gonna carpet that box up???

Yeah I am going to do that in the next week or so when I have time. The seats will all go back in as well.

Thanks for the compliments, I am real happy with the way it came out, especially since my buddy and I had never done an install anything like this, actually was his first stereo install/box build and I gotta say he did an awesome job building the box exactly to the specs we were provided.

Looks great man, nice ride. I wouldn't worry to much about the ssf on an sa-12, they can not bottom out and your not throwing much power at it. It takes me about 1/2 mo to break them in fully with around 2x rated, they just get a bit lower and louder the reactive rise seems to drop.

Looks good! videos?

Looks like the bracing would cause a bit of turbulence, epically the one in front of the port. Curious why you didn't use dowel or threaded rod bracing?

Looks good! videos?

Looks like the bracing would cause a bit of turbulence, epically the one in front of the port. Curious why you didn't use dowel or threaded rod bracing?

IIRC the port is 2" wide, and the brace is about 6" away...shouldn't cause any issues. I've done closer with no ill effects as well.

Edited by RAM_Designs

GMC Sierra 3500HD?..... :droolcup:

This sub just continues to impress me! I am at the point where I want to buy a Sundown 1200 for this thing to allow it to reach it's full potential!

I realize 600 watts is the warranty thresh hold, but what can you put to this thing daily.

i have an 09 silverado crew cab, i understand the issues

This sub just continues to impress me! I am at the point where I want to buy a Sundown 1200 for this thing to allow it to reach it's full potential!

I realize 600 watts is the warranty thresh hold, but what can you put to this thing daily.

depends on your box size/tuning and all. Have to try what you want and listen for when the sub starts to be stressed. back off a bit when you get there. Or if you're giving more power, but there is no gain. stop and turn it back down to where there was no gain to be had.

Here are a few updated pictures with the interior all back together. The amp hit the seat brackets at first so I had to raise it about 1", no big deal.

40 split folded up... fits absolutely perfect with plenty of room for the front passenger!

L1010598.jpg

Plenty of leg room...

L1010599.jpg

60 split folded down. Looks like I can carry 4 comfortably all day with this setup!

L1010596.jpg

L1010597.jpg

looks awsome.......looking to get two of those bad boys and do a nice ported box tuned to 32hz with my hifonics 1600d....