Sign in to follow this  
SMpaintball78

help on sub choice!!!!!

hello SSA forum goers,

i have just joined this site and this is my first post so if im doing something wrong just say so....

anyways here is my problem. i have a 1995 ext. cab ford ranger. i have a choice of these subs and i plan on walling them off.....

either 1 18" FI BTL fully loaded

1 15" RE audio xxx

2 15" kicker L7's

i have all of these subs but i dont know which ones to put in. i like sound quality but still gets loud. i had 1 12" mtx 9500 and loved it but had to give it up. i have a kicker zx1500.1amp and all stock electrical (doing the big 3 in the next week) in walling off which ever setup i decide to get. if i decide to go with the L7's or the xxx (havent completly decided yet) will be in a sealed enclosure, the fi will be ported. please give me ur 2 cents worth on the subject.

Thanks

if you like sound quality then you should probrably go with the re xxx but i would get a bigger amp. 1500 watts wont do a whole lot of justice for the xxx

its the older style xxx

1600rms/2500peak

ive never heard the old style xxx but that amp should match up to it pretty good. i would go with the xxx and then do the big 3 and add some batts. maybe someone thats used the old xxx will give some input but if it was me thats what i would do.

ya. im just not sure on which to pick. its between the 18" Fi and the 15" Re xxx. someone is coming to pick up the L7's now lol.

A single sub setup walled in a truck will look odd, in my opinion, unless it's a 21" or something like that. I'd do the 18" BTL out of all of your options. Add a second when you're able to.

I'd refrain from the XXX since you can probably just do a proper box for it below the window line, or close to it.

Edited by RAM_Designs

A single sub setup walled in a truck will look odd, in my opinion, unless it's a 21" or something like that. I'd do the 18" BTL out of all of your options. Add a second when you're able to.

I'd refrain from the XXX since you can probably just do a proper box for it below the window line, or close to it.

Exactlyyy. If you are set on walling it off than you should definitely go with the btl even two if you can afford a second sub and amp.

.... and just send the old XXX to me. ;)

Or send it to me!

Aaron.. I haven't even seen you with a setup!

:thanx:

Or send it to me!

Aaron.. I haven't even seen you with a setup!

:thanx:

Thats because we put money into Mark's truck and I always seem to have life in the way of my own audio install. For example, I am moving now and need every square inch of my car. :(

You could always put money into my truck. If you need a copy of my wish list just let me know.

Oh, and I wont be moving anytime soon.

:fing34:

Exactlyyy. If you are set on walling it off than you should definitely go with the btl even two if you can afford a second sub and amp.

well not only do i not have enough money for another btl 18, i odnt have the power. i had 1 12" mtx 9500 on my kicker zx1500.1 and my lights dim more than u can believe. pluse, i was told that in order to make the 1 18 btl i have sound right, my box would have to take up the whole back of the cab of my truck which would bake the box around 7.5CF so i really couldnt put another 18 in there if i wanted to lol and iv always wanted to wall off my set-ups but iv never had the tools, or nice subs to do that with. for christmas this past year, i have all the tools i need. iv always had like cvr's or stuff like that. its just recently that i have actually had some subs worth walling off.

well not only do i not have enough money for another btl 18, i odnt have the power. i had 1 12" mtx 9500 on my kicker zx1500.1 and my lights dim more than u can believe. pluse, i was told that in order to make the 1 18 btl i have sound right, my box would have to take up the whole back of the cab of my truck which would bake the box around 7.5CF so i really couldnt put another 18 in there if i wanted to lol and iv always wanted to wall off my set-ups but iv never had the tools, or nice subs to do that with. for christmas this past year, i have all the tools i need. iv always had like cvr's or stuff like that. its just recently that i have actually had some subs worth walling off.

Well if you dont want to sacrifice 7 cubes, then remove the Btl from the options. Then, you would be left with the XXX 15. However, walling one 15 will definitely be a little strange. I feel like walling a car off is going to the ultimate degree, in a sense, and I do not believe it is necessary to go through the trouble for one 15. Maybe you should wait until you have the money to pick up new subs. In the meantime, you could build yourself a solid box for the XXX and bump until you hqve the funding. Just dont go crazy with the volume its really not good to stress your electrical.

Maybe the big3 will help you with your dimming lights problem. Your stock alternator must be weak. I run 1800 watts rms in my little Toyota Auris 2.0 l (diesel engine) with no problem, and the big 3 is not finished yet. I only did the grounds.

Make a box for that btl, and that's it. The RE seems to be a good sub though ! And you see, Aaron(from SSA) wants it !!!

Well if you dont want to sacrifice 7 cubes, then remove the Btl from the options. Then, you would be left with the XXX 15. However, walling one 15 will definitely be a little strange. I feel like walling a car off is going to the ultimate degree, in a sense, and I do not believe it is necessary to go through the trouble for one 15. Maybe you should wait until you have the money to pick up new subs. In the meantime, you could build yourself a solid box for the XXX and bump until you hqve the funding. Just dont go crazy with the volume its really not good to stress your electrical.

well hate to break yalls hearts but i just sold my fi 18 and the L7's. im putting my re xxx 15 in my 1965 mustang for shows. i actually doubt ill hook it up. BUT for my truck on the other hand, i just picked up 2 12" mtx 9500's. each sub is getting about 850 TRUE watts. so do u think these 12's would be worth walling off?

Maybe the big3 will help you with your dimming lights problem. Your stock alternator must be weak. I run 1800 watts rms in my little Toyota Auris 2.0 l (diesel engine) with no problem, and the big 3 is not finished yet. I only did the grounds.

Make a box for that btl, and that's it. The RE seems to be a good sub though ! And you see, Aaron(from SSA) wants it !!!

yes i see

Aaron wants it. BUT im not made of money and cant just give a 350 dollar sub away for free lol

well hate to break yalls hearts but i just sold my fi 18 and the L7's. im putting my re xxx 15 in my 1965 mustang for shows. i actually doubt ill hook it up. BUT for my truck on the other hand, i just picked up 2 12" mtx 9500's. each sub is getting about 850 TRUE watts. so do u think these 12's would be worth walling off?

I still wouldnt wall off two 12s. I mean, its completely up to you but I still think that I would only go with a wall if I had maybe 2 15s. You could always try to keep the box below the window line and through in a few aeroports firing up. For example,

and

Edited by Deto1992

Add two more and then it will be worth a wall! 2 12" in a wall in a truck will look odd.

Add two more and then it will be worth a wall! 2 12" in a wall in a truck will look odd.

If you do go this route you need to do some serious upgradesss with your electrical.

If you do go this route you need to do some serious upgradesss with your electrical.

actually, starting friday, im beginning of the big 3 upgrade. also when i bought the 2 9500's, the guy GAVE me a free deep cycle battery so i think i should be good after that right?

actually, starting friday, im beginning of the big 3 upgrade. also when i bought the 2 9500's, the guy GAVE me a free deep cycle battery so i think i should be good after that right?

Theoretically, you should be alright with the big 3 in 1/0 gauge and an additional batt(assuming its not crap) for one zx1500.1. However, if you are planning on a second, you may want to consider a h/o alt and another additional battery. Complete your install and check your voltage with a voltmeter. As far as I know, youre going to want to be above 12 volts, preferably closer to 14 volts.

Theoretically, you should be alright with the big 3 in 1/0 gauge and an additional batt(assuming its not crap) for one zx1500.1. However, if you are planning on a second, you may want to consider a h/o alt and another additional battery. Complete your install and check your voltage with a voltmeter. As far as I know, youre going to want to be above 12 volts, preferably closer to 14 volts.

ya. i once had a capacitor hooked up and i was getting like 13.8 VOLTS. i cant afford a h/o alt. now so thats y im justing adding a second and possibly a third battery if this 1 extra one dont work out.

Honestly... with the price of 2 upgraded xs or kinetic batts, u could get a h/o alt... my. 02

i have one battery already for free. the guy i bought the 9500's from gave me one that he had. he said the boat batteries from wal-mart work better than optima batteries and cost alot less. he had 2 of these walmart batteries and his lights barley dimmed and he had 2500 TRUE watts being drawn. he had stock alt. and no big 3.