dbsupra

Sanity check- building single SA-8 enclosure

My son and I are building an enclosure for a single SA-8 for a school project (much cooler than a birdhouse!)

I've built several enclosures growing up, mostly either a medium size sealed or a large ported. I've never been that concerned about the math, just did my best and if it sounded bad just build another. Now that I'm older, I care more lol.

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty.

Looking at either a slot port box or an external aero port in around a .6-.8 net enclosure. I've looked at several calculators and the such, but looking for real world to double check before we start putting something together.

For a slotted box, it comes out to a .8 net with a vent dimension of 3x5.5 and total length of 34.5"

On the external aero port it is .7 net with a flared port of (1) 3"x18.7"

I've looked around for square area of port per cube, mach speed, etc. Would either of these work? Am I running into the chance of port noise? I'd like to do a 4" aero but that would be more like 3' long.

Any insight would be appreciated!

edit: looking at more of an sq design than pure spl. Running a 250rwms 4ohm and 500wrms 2ohm amp.

Edited by dbsupra

You can contact Bromo, he's a member here. He's a very good box designer.

Good luck with your project!

My son and I are building an enclosure for a single SA-8 for a school project (much cooler than a birdhouse!)

I've built several enclosures growing up, mostly either a medium size sealed or a large ported. I've never been that concerned about the math, just did my best and if it sounded bad just build another. Now that I'm older, I care more lol.

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty.

Looking at either a slot port box or an external aero port in around a .6-.8 net enclosure. I've looked at several calculators and the such, but looking for real world to double check before we start putting something together.

For a slotted box, it comes out to a .8 net with a vent dimension of 3x5.5 and total length of 34.5"

On the external aero port it is .7 net with a flared port of (1) 3"x18.7"

I've looked around for square area of port per cube, mach speed, etc. Would either of these work? Am I running into the chance of port noise? I'd like to do a 4" aero but that would be more like 3' long.

Any insight would be appreciated!

edit: looking at more of an sq design than pure spl. Running a 250rwms 4ohm and 500wrms 2ohm amp.

That should be fine as long as you don't use a 3" port, that's not big enough. An unfortunate side effect to a small box tuned low with more port area is a long port. Just make sure you aren't tuning below 35 hz, things start to go not good if you do that.

I say a 3 inch port is just fine and tune that thing to 32 hz. it will sound amazing. ive ran a dozen different set ups with my sa-8s on all power levels

Thanks!

I was shooting for ~37hz based on the type of music I listen to.

I thought I might be able to get away with a 3" for my application. Being that I'm using external I suppose that would be easy enough to change if I wasn't happy. Just wanted to make sure I was atleast in the ballpark.

Is this going in a supra? If so what yr? And can I see some pics? I loooovv supras. 97 6-sp black. Dream car! Lol. Good luck with the build.

I say a 3 inch port is just fine and tune that thing to 32 hz. it will sound amazing. ive ran a dozen different set ups with my sa-8s on all power levels

I helped (and continue to) develop the SA8. I wouldn't do a 3" port. You can run one sealed and it'll be just fine, but that doesn't mean you're getting your monies worth. Ever put 4000 watts clamped on an SA8? We've tested all power levels :fing34:

I helped (and continue to) develop the SA8. I wouldn't do a 3" port. You can run one sealed and it'll be just fine, but that doesn't mean you're getting your monies worth. Ever put 4000 watts clamped on an SA8? We've tested all power levels :fing34:

i ran 2 3ks strapped @ .5 each on 4 of em

i dont think he cares about 4k on one driver.

He doesn't care about your 2 3k's either. Power levels don't matter when your box is wrong to start with.

He doesn't care about your 2 3k's either. Power levels don't matter when your box is wrong to start with.

:fing34:

I appreciate the help! No, this isnt going in the supra. Its 2 seats and a cage with a 4" exhaust. Not much audio goes in there lol.

Bromo hooked me up! He tweaked my slot design and will probably go that route. May consider building an external aero for an x-8 if I pick one of those up down the road.

I appreciate the help! No, this isnt going in the supra. Its 2 seats and a cage with a 4" exhaust. Not much audio goes in there lol.

Bromo hooked me up! He tweaked my slot design and will probably go that route. May consider building an external aero for an x-8 if I pick one of those up down the road.

Keep this in mind. We don't have an X8 yet, it's still a drawing at this point. We don't know what box it will need or work best in, and it's not that big of a box to start with. Regardless of all that, you won't get one till June at best. I'd build for what you have, and build again as necessary because after all, it's a small box. You can build like 4 individual 8 boxes out of 1 sheet of wood.

I'd build for what you have, and build again as necessary because after all, it's a small box. You can build like 4 individual 8 boxes out of 1 sheet of wood.

Yes that's what I was thinking. I bought a 4'x8' sheet. I'll have plenty to build another box later on. The X8 looks cool on paper, thought maybe I could get one of those for the next project. I love having more than 1 car :)

Still waiting on my SA8. I ordered Tues or Wed and it hasn't shipped yet.

Now I know why your name looks familiar! You have (had) the red crx on youtube. Your Cake video is what convinced me I wanted this sub.

Hoping to get started cutting tomorrow.

I'd build for what you have, and build again as necessary because after all, it's a small box. You can build like 4 individual 8 boxes out of 1 sheet of wood.

Yes that's what I was thinking. I bought a 4'x8' sheet. I'll have plenty to build another box later on. The X8 looks cool on paper, thought maybe I could get one of those for the next project. I love having more than 1 car :)

Still waiting on my SA8. I ordered Tues or Wed and it hasn't shipped yet.

Now I know why your name looks familiar! You have (had) the red crx on youtube. Your Cake video is what convinced me I wanted this sub.

Hoping to get started cutting tomorrow.

Yup, I'm that guy. I'll have an X8 sometime in February to start initial testing.

My son and I have the enclosure built. Received my sub today and did some test fitting. What I didn't consider was how large the diameter of the basket is. Huge! My original intent was to install the sub in position 1. However, the ribs hit the inside of the wall. It will easily fit in position 2, but it is the opposite end of the exterior port outlet and close to the interior port inlet. Will this effect anything in position 2? Worst case, I can cut a baffle to mount above postion 1 to increase the height. That way I will have the clearance needed. Just didn't want to go to the trouble if it wasn't needed.

I appreciate the help!

Dave

sub_placement.jpg

I was wondering about this myself. If proximity to the port affects output and sound.

Yes, ideally you dont want a sub at the end of the port. I'd recommend putting both subs as close to the other side as possible.

i also have a issue with building a box to go under the rear seat of a tundra. I have a mere 5" of height 18"w and aprox 20" deep to work with. I have been racking my brain on how to make it work. I do have room to wedge the end to gain the height to mount the sub but the port is another story. Maybe it just wont work im not sure but if JL can get a ported enclosure for a 8W7 im sure something can be made for the SA-8

5" of height isn't going to cut it. The mounting depth of the sa-8 is 5.25" and 8.25" basket diameter

Oh I follow you now. I tbought you meant 5" height period. Are you going to do an external port?