Sign in to follow this  
Wackzirth88

Neo SSDs

I don't know if this has been talked about on here or not, so I apologize in advance if it has. I was doing a little research on what sub(s) I would like to put in my new car. I was thinking about going with a SSD and when I got on the fi site I saw that it says neo ssd's coming soon or something along those lines. I'm pretty interested, so I figured I'd post here to find out more about it. Besides weight, will switching to neo magnets change the ssd's performance much?(if so how?) Do you guys have an idea when it will be available for purchase? And lastly how will the change effect pricing?

It wouldn't make a change you could notice daily.

SOB! Right when I just recently bought one.....x2 for more info

happened to me with the BTL lol. from now on i buy ALL intended subs at once, no more buy one now and possibly buy another later. buy em all at once lol.

SOB! Right when I just recently bought one.....x2 for more info

happened to me with the BTL lol. from now on i buy ALL intended subs at once, no more buy one now and possibly buy another later. buy em all at once lol.

Haha well thank god I only needed one, I just like having all of the latest stuff. Gives me a reason to buy more though!

Edited by mattd0344

Wow looking forward to seeing the new neo SSD's.

Anything?

All in time.

Trying HARD to keep pricing the same. Lighter, more cooling options... just a progression of the line. Ill get some pics up in a week or two. Trying to figure faster ways of making them then the protos. Machining the deep and narrow pocket is a little less than fun at the speed we want to. Looking at making a 6 insert full circle carbide cutter that will mount to our spade mount (for drilling the 3.25" holes in the N series top plates). Should make short work of things, but will take a fair amount of time to make.

Give me about 2 weeks and Ill have pics to post.

Thanks,

Scott

Trying HARD to keep pricing the same. Lighter, more cooling options... just a progression of the line. Ill get some pics up in a week or two. Trying to figure faster ways of making them then the protos. Machining the deep and narrow pocket is a little less than fun at the speed we want to. Looking at making a 6 insert full circle carbide cutter that will mount to our spade mount (for drilling the 3.25" holes in the N series top plates). Should make short work of things, but will take a fair amount of time to make.

Thanks,

Scott

I am thinking that I need 4 of these in my truck.

Scott will the NEO SSD's have more xmax then the regular ferrite models?

Thanks,

Scott

For milling slots I've had good success using a Trochoidal Milling technique. Seco Tools has a nifty Excel calculator that will get you started.

Trochoidal Mill Calculator

To cut a 3.25" bore in 1" steel I use a Corkscrew Milling technique. I don't have an easy calculator for that one. What I do is I use the thread milling feature in my CAM software. That should get you in the ball park. Here is a nice read from Ingersoll on corkscrew milling.

Corkscrew Milling by Ingersoll

If you need g-code programs let me know. :)

We circ interp most of the holes then with a final singular cleaning/sizing pass. But for these with the pole in the way, I have modified a tool holder that uses ground/modded SNM style bits to hit both sides at once. Seems to work well so far, but I worry about ridigity issues with the modded tool holder. What I think I will end up doing is a trepan of sorts and make a 90degree section of a circle with the cutter out at the end. Would be about as rigid a tool holder as you could make considering it follows the shape of the cut it is making around a full 90. I could mod it further to hold 4 or 6 bits in a full circle and have just a giant indexible hole saw that cuts outside pole and inside rebate at the same time... with 20HP on the lathe bad can happen quick with wimpy tools.

I appreciate the info and offer for code programs. We use a couple of them, but for the most part write by hand. If I dont understand it ALL I probably shouldnt be doing it :) Some of them like to do some odd things at times.

Thanks,

Scott

We circ interp most of the holes then with a final singular cleaning/sizing pass. But for these with the pole in the way, I have modified a tool holder that uses ground/modded SNM style bits to hit both sides at once. Seems to work well so far, but I worry about ridigity issues with the modded tool holder. What I think I will end up doing is a trepan of sorts and make a 90degree section of a circle with the cutter out at the end. Would be about as rigid a tool holder as you could make considering it follows the shape of the cut it is making around a full 90. I could mod it further to hold 4 or 6 bits in a full circle and have just a giant indexible hole saw that cuts outside pole and inside rebate at the same time... with 20HP on the lathe bad can happen quick with wimpy tools.

I appreciate the info and offer for code programs. We use a couple of them, but for the most part write by hand. If I dont understand it ALL I probably shouldnt be doing it :) Some of them like to do some odd things at times.

Thanks,

Scott

Interesting, doing this on a lathe. I'm guessing standard face grooving tools don't have enough reach for the depth you're going. I see where you're getting at with the half circle tool to support the insert. Cool deal.

I've experience my share of CAM software doing off things at times. I see it most when using a new post processor. A repetitive XY move in the CAM code gets deleted by the post processor and the post outputs a simultaneous XYZ move instead of the XY move followed by the Z move in the next line. It's either that or the 4th axis moves are opposite of what the machine actually moves.

Cool stuff. Time to get back to it. Can't wait to see the new stuff. :)

Sign in to follow this