Sign in to follow this  
Roberto0909

Keeping a sub healthy

I would dare to say I am pretty cautious. I have a 12" Q dual 2, cooling and all that, and am running a 1000 watt rms mono amp to it. I was just kinda curious as to whether it was possible to blow the sub with that amp or do any damage to it. I have the level a pretty safe setting and make sure to keep the bass equalizer down, but i would like to get a little more out of it. Any insight would be appreciated

As long as the signal isnt clipped and you aren't trying to play way way below box tuning you should be fine. What amp is it...As long as all of the settings are right, you have nothing to worry about.

Are you current smelling any coils? Or have over excursion?

If not, I'd assume the sub hasn't reached it limits yet.

But that doesn't mean so crank up the gains, as that is not a volume knob.

If the amp is really 1000 watts, you could cook the driver.

It's a hifonics amp and its wired to 1 ohm so its a true 1000 watts. ive got the subsonic filiter right under 32 or as close to that as i could get because that is what my box is tuned to. i believe the LPF is at 80. I havent smelled the coils or anything but with some songs i feel like i can hear something, but I was not sure if it's just something rattling, if its clipping, or if its me just being paranoid about blowing it.

Sign in to follow this