Trancer

SA8's ported by Subthump.com. Any interest? Crew Cab and Extended

Dual SA8 ported or Dual 12" subs in Extended Cab and Crew Cab Trucks?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Dual 12" Subthump Sealed box or Dual Ported SA 8's for an extended cab or crew cab truck?

• Dual Ported SA 8's
    • Dual 12" Sealed Subs
    • Quad Sealed SA8's

Sorry, I already know I Posted this in the Fabrication section, but I forgot to make a poll out of it. So I went to go edit it and then I got to thinking, which section should I put this in to get the most attention? So Mod's if you feel necessary, please delete the one you think would attract the least amount of attention, but Id like to have the Poll.

Hey guys, I am in the talks with Steve, the owner of Subthump.com. They make some of the best sealed prefabbed boxes I have ever dealt with. They are simply amazing, the prices are budget friendly. Their main focus are on sealed boxes, because they aim at the people who are on a budget and they can mass produce. So I have been throwing emails back and forth and emphasized how much popularity there is out there for the Sundown Audio SA8's. Now we all know these things shine better in ported boxes. My box building days are over and subthump is nortorious for squeezing out as much air space and the deepest depth for subwoofers.

Here is my first subthump box. Ran this box in my 2003 Extended Cab Silverado with two TC Sounds TC1000's. They are both blown. Used the wrong type of screws so the subs kept getting lose and going free air. If anyone wants them, let me know.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Extended-Cab/99-06-GM-Extended-Cab-Ultra-Deep-Dual-1012-Downfire-Box.html

Then they came out with this. I wish I was able to get this box when I had my 03 Silverado.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Crew-Cab/07-Up-New-Body-Style-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-Downfire-Box.html 7" mounting depth and 1.16 cuft of airspace! Ah GM Why cant you give us more room in the New Body Style trucks!?

Here is the box I am currently running. 2 RE SE 12's (Not the new RE SEx's)

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Crew-Cab/07-Up-New-Body-Style-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-Downfire-Box.html .83 cu ft airspace per chamber and 6.5" of mounting depth. This box is kinda suffucating my RE SE 12's. They want more air, they told me.

So Im thinking of going with 2 SA8's ported. It will be powered by the same amp I have been running and will probably be running forever. Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 @ 2 ohms. So with all of my wiring upgrade including the Big 3, Kicker 1/0 awg, one ground on each side of the truck, it should be doing whats on the birthsheet. I think the birthsheets @ 2 ohms are around 1350-1400 watts RMS. 1 Ohm is around 1550-1600 watts rms if I remember correctly. Correct me if I am wrong..

Here is what inspired me to talk to Steve about a Dual Ported 8" Box specifically for the SA8's, but I dont know what the mounting depth and what the optimum tuning would be. I like lower tuning; 31-33 hertz.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Crew-Cab/07-Up-New-Body-Style-GM-Crew-Cab-Quad-8-Front-Fire-Box.html

So this will be for the new 2007 New Body Style Silverado and Sierra Crew Cabs. I am sure he could probably make a design for the Extended cab trucks. Ironically, the extended cab trucks allow more room than the crew cabs. I dont get it GM.

So I am trying to get some feedback from you guys on here so I can relay this to Steve to see if there is any interest. If there is any interest, he may put his into production. I dont have much specs on this Subwoofer, just the specifcations I got from here;

Realized that I don't have them on the site or anywhere easy to find at the moment -- so here we go :

D2 Model :

RE: 3.28 ohms (series)

FS: 41.6 Hz

Qes: 0.513

Qms: 6.606

Qts: 0.476

Le: 2.778 mH

Vas: 3.285 L

BL: 17.138 N/A

Cms: 83.341 um/N

Mms: 175.654 g

Sens: 78.476 dB @ 1w/1m

BL^2/RE: 89.5

D4 Model :

RE: 6.08 ohms

Fs: 44.66 Hz

Qes: 0.594

Qms: 6.337

Qts: 0.545

Le: 4.26 mH

VAS: 4.44 L

BL: 21.20 N/A

Cms: 80.8 uM/N

Mms: 157 g

Sens: 80.06 @ 1w/1m

BL^2/RE: 73.92

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Associate, Stereo Integrity

and here

Box size has alot to do with mechanical power handling. If you are going to be pushing your woofer beyond it's rated RMS power you need to be very mindful of this fact and put the woofer in no larger than the minimum suggested enclosure for music program.

We design our woofers for very small enclosures and power ratings are there for a reason -- you can continue to push a driver like the SA-8 beyond RMS power and it will not be stressed whatsoever thermally by the time you can cause mechanical issues. The motor, especially on the SA-8, is VERY strong -- being an 8" driver there is limited mechanical throw available. The driver retains high motor force all the way up to the point where you can start breaking it.

In any event... based on my testing so far you can expect something like the following on mechanical power handling vs. ported box size on the SA-8 :

1.25 cubic feet = 300 watts

1.00 cubic feet = 400 watts

0.80 cubic feet = ~450-500 watts

0.60 cubic feet = ~500-600 watts

You may ALSO need a subsonic filter depending on box tuning. The rated RMS power is 400 watts RMS -- if you push past that you are voiding warranty coverage. We are bringing in re-cone parts and they can be fixed, though, for those of you who like to push things. If you have any doubts about your ability to monitor your listening habits just stick to the 0.60 recommendation.

To re-iterate... they are not fragile. I have ton ALOT of testing on them with enormous amounts of power -- the above considers full bandwidth music program that can drop to very low frequencies and is a safe suggestion.

If you are an SPL competitor then you probably already know this and these suggestions don't really apply for burps @ tuning. We have put in excess of 600% of RMS power on them for SPL burps.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Associate, Stereo Integrity

Ok, so my questions are the following:

1. Does anyone have any interest in this build? If so, Please post her

2. What is the optimum space requirements?

3. What is the optimum tuning for an SA8?

4. Would I benefit from going from 24" of cone surface; sealed to only 16" cone surface, but ported?

5. What is the mounting depth for the SA8? The box they have for the Quad 8" sub mounting depth s 7" and 1.08 cu ft. We obviously will lose alot of airspace in account for the port, whether it be slot, aero etc...

6. What would you pefer? Slot Port? Aero Port?

I apologize for the long post, but we could really get something going here, if its worth it. I dont have much, well any at all with 8" Subs. So please help

That was quite a large post and not exactly sure what you are wanting but here are a few specs that I think you were asking for:

5.25" depth

8.25" overall basket OD (no gasket)

7.375" cut-out diameter (without gasket)

7.25" cut-out diameter (with gasket)

6.25" magnet diameter

We suggest 0.6 - 1 cube ported tuned to 30-40 hz based on your goals and preferences. Sealed can be utilized but is not optimal for these drivers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These specs came from SSA store: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d8-Sub-woofer.html

Hope maybe this answers a few of your ?'s.

Thanks, that was wat I was looking for.

The main focus is that I am trying to get the owner of Subthump.com to custom make a box for a crew cab '07 Silverado /Sierra. He is looking into making me a custom ported box for the SA8's. If there is interest, we could be looking at a new item from subthump.com.

I have always been interested in your SA8's. I am just unsure if it will be an upgrade from my sealed subthump.com enclosure with two RE SE 12's. Have you ever had any experience with these two compared? I always prefer ported over sealed, but in a truck, space is always the issue. I would be losing cone surface area, but gaining a ported enclosure.

And yes, I apologize for the rambling. I tend to do that when I have ideas just flowing through my head. What sparked this is that I am building a stereo for my friends NBS 2007 regular cab Silverado. He is a college kid on a budget and all of his friends are know-it-alls and he wants to blow them away. Have you ever had anyone run a pair of SA8's in a ported box in a regular cab truck without sacrificing functionality of the vehicle, like what I have seen on ROE with boxes just laying in the middle of the two bucket seats"?

Thanks for the reply and the missing specifications.

The other options for his stereo are:

BM MKIII 12's (If only I could get my hand on a pair!)

MB Quart 304 12's.

Any input or advice is much appreciated.

Edited by Trancer

He cant make a box to house two sa-8s under the seat on a 07+ crew. not enough space without raising the seat

He cant make a box to house two sa-8s under the seat on a 07+ crew. not enough space without raising the seat

What about a Double cab tundra? I have seen a box for 2 JL 8W7's ported made for a tundra, but I have never and will never run anything JL.

What about a Double cab tundra? I have seen a box for 2 JL 8W7's ported made for a tundra, but I have never and will never run anything JL.

no clue i dont own a tundra

What's wrong with JL? Too rich for your blood? Or you believe because it's mainstream & expensive that it MUST be bad?

no clue i dont own a tundra

What about an F150, or a ram? :suicide-santa::P

I wouldn't dis JL until you own them at least once, I have had 3 different JL setups and I have to say they are still some of the cleanest subs I have ever used. Tbh I want the sa8's as well but I'm just sayin dont hate unless you have given them a chance. My w7 was so sexy :)

I wouldn't dis JL until you own them at least once, I have had 3 different JL setups and I have to say they are still some of the cleanest subs I have ever used. Tbh I want the sa8's as well but I'm just sayin dont hate unless you have given them a chance. My w7 was so sexy :)

Exactly.