Sign in to follow this  
mariobjones

2 SSA ICON 15s in 2002 Grand Prix

Hey what's up SSA family, I'm new to the Ssa subs, but wanted to try them out!! Heard a lot of good things about them. I know you guys are thinking it will be a tight fit, and I'm ready for the challenge. Just wanting to get some input on what amp I should go with? All opinions accepted!! Will do build log!!

Whatever amp that fits your budget and is in line with helping you reach your goals.

Whatever amp that fits your budget and is in line with helping you reach your goals.

This.

If you're on a tight budget the AudioQue 2200D or Soundstream DTR1.2200D will work well, assuming you're getting D4 subs.

Edited by RAM_Designs

What's some decent amps around 150-200?

That'll give you a true 2kw to work with? None. Maybe you can find something used for around 250-300 in the classifieds that will give you the power you need. Or just build a bigger box and go with less power.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Icon's don't come in dual 4. I would suggest going for higher quality used with less power then super cheap amp with the higher power.

What's some decent amps around 150-200?

There are none, (depends on power).

Icon's don't come in dual 4. I would suggest going for higher quality used with less power then super cheap amp with the higher power.

I agree.

Bring up the budget. :)

Were you planning on having these sealed or ported? I really hope sealed because I doubt that you will fit the proper ported box in that trunk. I think mine isn't much smaller than yours and it was difficult to fit the correct sized box for 1 15" ported unless it was built in the car.

Try to find about 1200-1500 watts used/refurbished that is a good quality amp. No need for 2000 watts as you won't hardly hear a difference. You may still need to bump your budget up about $100.

I would have suggested only buying 1 15 and trying out ported and sealed with a good quality about 1500 watt amp and if you needed more down the road then throw another 15 in there since you already have an amp that can work. I think you will be surprised how much bass you can get out of a good 15 in the right box.

Are you chasing numbers with this setup or just trying to have some bass and to show off a little?

Trying to get some numbers, I know I won't get extremely high, but I wanted to at least try to get to an 145-150db range and price range for amps can gok as far as 350. Subs will be in sealed boxes, theirs no way I can fit them as ported in my car unless I walled it off, and If I decide to wall it off, I'd get some 18s

145-150db with 350 for an amp. Big DREAMS for a small budget....No offense. :morepower1: Sealed is a decent idea since you HAVE to but just make sure you are able to give them the optimal enclosure for SEALED!

Edited by TeamRamRod

Just for shits n giggles, I say you meter a 143 at the headrest. *rechecks thread in coming months*

:)

Just for shits n giggles, I say you meter a 143 at the headrest. *rechecks thread in coming months*

:)

:roflmao:

It will be a tight fit for 2 15" subs sealed in the GP. This is a picture of 1 15" Icon in a GP of the same body style. Box stretches from wheel well to wheel well. There is a group 31 battery behind it and the amp, and just enough room to throw golf clubs in between the box and the tail lights.

002.jpg

Lol I know. I was just being sarcastic, but if you think I could with that budget. And I'll show you guys some pics when I decide on a amp. I have an Rockford 2500 coming from my bro in Dallas now, brand new, and he has no use for it, so being the great twin he is, he's given me a late Christmas present haha so I guess I will just get 1 or 2 extra batteries with the 350. But I think it'll be sick with the fosgate amp. @bromo what year is your gp?

@bromo how long is that box bro? Can you try to flip it horizontal? Looks like you could fit two. Can I ask you what's your dimensions? And did you install from trunk or removing your backdoor?

That box is probably just the right size for a 15" Icon... I wouldn't try to squeeze 2 in that one enclosure... :peepwall:

For one 15" Icon you need a width of 25 inches... If you were to do 2 in one enclosure you're doubling that easily... Do you have 50" of space for the width of the enclosure?

No I meant two of the same enclosures. I've had some p3 15s in the trunk before, and it took about 10minutes to put in, they were separate boxes. Just like I wanna do with the icons

And in comparison to bromo's box, my previous 15's boxes where kinda tall, and I believe that's why It was so difficult to fit in grand prix, because the entrance on these models suck. Trunk has a bunch of space, just the entrance part sucks.

IIRC the box is 35.75"W X 16"D X 11.5"T. It will fit with the sub facing toward the rear but then you run the chance of blocking the subs output off. The box went in through the trunk opening, the largest box I fit through the trunk opening was 32"w X 16"t X 16"d and I had to jump on it and muscle it in.

Ok I'm going to use similar dimensions, but just a tiny bit shorter. You all will be updated

IIRC the box is 35.75"W X 16"D X 11.5"T. It will fit with the sub facing toward the rear but then you run the chance of blocking the subs output off. The box went in through the trunk opening, the largest box I fit through the trunk opening was 32"w X 16"t X 16"d and I had to jump on it and muscle it in.

Sawzall!

That's a easy fix lol.

...Big bass in trunks is only good sealed off into the cab other then that its just bass not nothing crazy!! Go single 15 my suggestion and make it look clean and sound good dont want atone of crap cramped in the trunk doesnt turn out well long term.

I just measured trunk, and it's a perfect fit. and I got a steal for the 2 subs so that's why you guys, couldnt pass up on the deal.

Thanks for posting the picture bromo. Good to see more people running them sealed. ;)