Repth

Enclosure for Q

Looking to pick up a 15" Fi Q. What enclosure is it more suited to? I do not have a preference ported or sealed and I am capable of building either, just like to know which more naturally suits the driver. Car is a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. 140 amp alternator, big three, Cadence ZRS-7000D (1.3kw @ 1 ohm). Maximum interior volume is 3.5 cubic feet and not an inch more. That does not include the port, so if it's ported then subtract the port volume from that.

Also, if I want to run it sealed, is high QTS option mandatory?

High QTS is not mandatory for sealed, just recommended :)

The Q is great for sealed or ported, if you wish to be able to switch enclosure styles, don't get High QTS

What will the high QTS do for me sealed? More low end output, more overall output, more accuracy and clarity, etc?

Also, does Fi accept returns, assuming I get the high QTS and then decide immediately after installing that I want it ported and wish to switch for a non-high-QTS?

what are you looking to get out of this sub? what kind of goals? maybe with the right information the guys here can help you out and get it right the first time

Goal is primarily sound quality, with output at a very close second. It is extremely necessary that the subwoofer be able to keep up with music all the way from chopped and screwed rap, hip hop, dubstep, rock, metal, and even drum and bass. I need the subwoofer to get fairly loud as it is going in a trunk; it doesn't have to blow my eardrums when I sit in the drivers seat, but I am attempting to overcome the barrier of the rear seat to get the bass to blend in to the music. I do tend to like a stronger bass response, I find myself liking a 3db bump in response from 100-200hz and a 6db bump from 20-100hz. Something like that at least. But first and foremost it has to be accurate. I tried a Shiva-X2 but it didn't have enough output for me.

Goal is primarily sound quality, with output at a very close second. It is extremely necessary that the subwoofer be able to keep up with music all the way from chopped and screwed rap, hip hop, dubstep, rock, metal, and even drum and bass. I need the subwoofer to get fairly loud as it is going in a trunk; it doesn't have to blow my eardrums when I sit in the drivers seat, but I am attempting to overcome the barrier of the rear seat to get the bass to blend in to the music. I do tend to like a stronger bass response, I find myself liking a 3db bump in response from 100-200hz and a 6db bump from 20-100hz. Something like that at least. But first and foremost it has to be accurate. I tried a Shiva-X2 but it didn't have enough output for me.

My opinion would be to go sealed then. Sounds like you want a strong midbass as well. If you want a decent output from 20-200hz I wouldnt even consider a ported setup. Thats a huge range.

Edited by swift

subs play sub bass. if you want more midbass, get mid bass drivers.

and you don't want sound quality. get another sub besides the Q. I'd go down to a 12 or two 10s as well so you can still go ported.

...a sub is made for 80Hz and down.

You need to invest in solid components to keep up with and do what you want to do.

Well, it looks like I misstated what I was expecting. I was only trying to illustrate that my personal listening tastes call for a bump in response in the lower frequencies. I have a set of ID CTX65cs comps crossed at 100hz; it is plenty of midbass for me, I was only trying to illustrate that I like to run my midbass and subbass a little louder than the rest. I am only expecting the subwoofer to play 30-80hz.

and you don't want sound quality.

I'm sorry, what? That's news to me. I was pretty sure that was a requirement of mine. I want a driver with good sound quality that simply has the output to blend into my front stage; the issue is that it's coming through a trunk so the output has to be considerable just to create a flat frequency response in the cabin.

Edited by Repth

If you want it to play 30-80 with decent output I would still do a sealed setup. The Q15 will have plenty of output on 1k.

I have mine ported and tuned low, but I could care less about 50+hz being very loud. At 50hz mine sounds very clear and has decent output, but at -40 is where mine starts to shine.

Nick would tell you best though

Edited by swift

If you are set on the Q 15 thats fine; it is completely up to you. But, you are going to need to go sealed unless you want to lose low end output and efficiency with a smaller ported box.

If you are set on the Q 15 thats fine; it is completely up to you. But, you are going to need to go sealed unless you want to lose low end output and efficiency with a smaller ported box.

3.5 cubes is small for a ported 15? ):

3.5 cubes is small for a ported 15? ):

Mine is in 3.6 cubes ported and it destroys the low notes but is tuned to do so!

I thought you said u had 3.5 before port area and displacement? That will leave you with 2.8 or maybe alittle more if you do a slot port. Its on the lower side but should be plenty to do what you want. Just be aware of what you tune it to. Too high and you will lose low end, tune too low and you will lose the punchy higher notes that you said you like. That why I said go sealed. I had had 3 different sealed setups and they all sounded good with alot of output. 2 of those were trunk cars.

Just ask FI what they recommend and they will lead you in the right direction.

Your goals scream ported BL, it will have way more than enough "SQ" for you. Really.

What is the amp rated at for power output?

Your goals scream ported BL, it will have way more than enough "SQ" for you. Really.

That's what I got out of his posts too.

You guys are the experts on the products; I try to make the best educated guess given my listening tastes but ultimately I am a newbie. Weighing the descriptions of SQ and SPL, it does seem that SQ would be my primary goal given that it's loud enough to match my front stage. Looks like I can either fit a 15 Q sealed or a 12 BL ported. I would really be irritated to pick up a BL and find out it doesn't provide enough sound quality for me.

build your box as recommended by Fi with the BL and you will be fine.