Sign in to follow this  
a4b7

Who has a flatlyne in a sealed box or heard one?

I want to know if anyone has heard one in a sealed setup..if so..what box size/power/how it sounded?

The recommended enclosure ranges from 1-1.4 cu ft. I just bought 2 flatlynes, and can't decide what box to get.

1. Because I already have a LI in a 1.447 cu ft (1.32 after displacement), and was going to use that box..and order another 1.447 cu ft box to match it.

Or

2.Buy a smaller dual box (2 chambers 1.1 cu ft per chamber) box.

I am a basshead and love low, extended bass (wish I can go ported!), and was thinking about just getting another 1.447 box. Any pros or cons for the 1.1 box vs the 1.4?

I installed two sealed in a BMW. The box was common chamber around 1.5 net total. They were on a 20.1 with gain set about 3/4. The customer normally spends about 50 grand a year with me on sound and has had just about every name brand you can think of. His highs were Focal Utopia 3ways on a Focal 4 channel and he was impressed with both the highs and bass.

That's good to hear because german cars are built like a wall, it's difficult to get the bass into the cabin if the seats are up. I have an audi, so that makes me excited to get the subs installed..just still trying to figure out what size sealed box.

That's good to hear because german cars are built like a wall, it's difficult to get the bass into the cabin if the seats are up. I have an audi, so that makes me excited to get the subs installed..just still trying to figure out what size sealed box.

Smaller box will be flatter, larger box will give you more output. If you can get specs from Nick I can work up graphs for each so you have a better idea. However I seriously doubt you will hear any "SQ" difference being they will be in the trunk. Are you positive you don't have room for ported.?

Here's pics of the enclosure. As you can see it was tiny.

m5069.jpg

m5071.jpg

that looks awesome, I might have room for ported. The car is lowered, and going ported means taking up the whole trunk and adding alot of weight (granted 2 of these 12 and the box is alot more weight than the single 12" LI). The ONLY way I can see myself going ported is with a lightweight wood and aeroports, or maybe passive radiators. I have roughly 32w x 15h x 20d to work with. That leaves me with around 4.4 cu ft before displacement.

On that note, I think I will just get another 1.447 box..I mean I can always add mass in there to lower the space if needed.

If folsom wasn't so far I would drop by your shop. I am from NO, but stay and work in BR during the weekdays

Edited by a4b7

My shops not much to look at. Just a 50x50 building. I only do sound part-time. I survey a lot of the bulk cargo ships that come up the river. What model Audi do you have?

I have my 1 12" in 1.2ft^3 after displacement in a sealed enclosure. I have it powered on a Sundown SAZ-1000 @ 2ohm for 600watts. It sounds amazing and musical for any type of music that I throw at it...Jazz- to death metal. Jazz, the upright bass tones are very smooth and never overpowering....Death-metal or rock...the double bass is ultra responsive and powerful yet...I hear a clear distinction between lower bass guitar notes and the drums. Rap or Trance...the output is amazing yet all of the lower tones are clear and distinct. The bass always blends in well with my front stage that is powered by a Sax 125.2

I have also debated ion getting another one going with a ported enclosure as well, but I currently trying to get an idea overall enclosure size. I have a 98 Honda Civic Coupe and the trunk space is also fairly limited.

id do a bandpass box you will hear and feel the lows!

That is the complete oposite design goal of the sub.

well idk i think it would be a good idea i had one that was blown threw my back deck it was great! hit great lows and every thing. it also acted as a cheap lowring kit in the back.

No it didn't hit "everything" if it was a proper bandpass. Bandpass enclosures are designed to create a peak in output over a small bandwith. That is exactly what the sub is not designed for. There is a big difference in a Flatline and your Deathrow.

I can now say that I have heard the flatlyne in a sealed enlosure, better yet 2 flatlynes in a sealed enclosure! I ended up buying another 1.44 cu ft enclosure since I already had one lying around from the lethal injection. I had one single flatlyne hooked up to a audison lrx4.1 until the 2nd box came home. First impression, the output is lacking! My IA LI sounded much louder and digged deeper in the sealed and ported box as compared to the sealed LI. I thought that was attributed to the fact that the li was wired in 1 ohm and saw 7-900 watts as opposed to the flatlyne which was wired in 2 ohms and received less watts. However, I knew something was wrong...I checked my wiring and gains. Turned off the subsonic filter and still no drastic change. I finally unplugged the ipod (avic d3) and hooked up my iphone and it was night and day. I had no idea how the signal from the ipod was different from the iphone.

After hooking up the iphone, the flatlyne was alot louder than the LI, and dropped much lower than the LI in the ported and sealed box even though it saw less power than the lethal injection. High frequencies had an impact that hits you in the chest and low frequencies the low frequencies unraveled new rattles and loose parts. It was unbelievable!

Today the 2nd box came home and I wired the 2 subs to 1 ohm and hooked it up to the lrx4.1 So both subs should have saw roughly 400 watts (way below the rms). Since I was impressed with 1 sealed flatlyne...you can only imagine my impressions with 2 subs. Without the changing any settings, the 2 subs was too much! The bass simply took over the car and front stage. I can barely hear the high frequencies from the tweeters as the bass made the sound flutter (kind of like when you speak into a big fan). It made me realize that I need more power for the front stage. I currently have the massive audio ck6 stage 3 comps off a nine.4 which is rated for 50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms. I will dropped that amp to 2 channel settings soon and d/c the back speakers so the comps will doubled that power.

I am no sq fanatic so I will not give a detail review since I am easily pleased as long as it is loud and clear.

My audison lrx4.1 has been cutting in and out so I can't demo the subs much (new amp tomorrow). The subs play one minute and it stops the next...no relation to whether im driving or parked. The grounds are redone, and everything is securely hooked up. The light on the amp stays green even though the subs don't play. I am thinking it is the amp since it happened to me when I changed the LI to a ported box and cranked it up more. But before that it played flawlessly for the last 2 years.

I can now say that I have heard the flatlyne in a sealed enlosure, better yet 2 flatlynes in a sealed enclosure! I ended up buying another 1.44 cu ft enclosure since I already had one lying around from the lethal injection. I had one single flatlyne hooked up to a audison lrx4.1 until the 2nd box came home. First impression, the output is lacking! My IA LI sounded much louder and digged deeper in the sealed and ported box as compared to the sealed LI. I thought that was attributed to the fact that the li was wired in 1 ohm and saw 7-900 watts as opposed to the flatlyne which was wired in 2 ohms and received less watts. However, I knew something was wrong...I checked my wiring and gains. Turned off the subsonic filter and still no drastic change. I finally unplugged the ipod (avic d3) and hooked up my iphone and it was night and day. I had no idea how the signal from the ipod was different from the iphone.

After hooking up the iphone, the flatlyne was alot louder than the LI, and dropped much lower than the LI in the ported and sealed box even though it saw less power than the lethal injection. High frequencies had an impact that hits you in the chest and low frequencies the low frequencies unraveled new rattles and loose parts. It was unbelievable!

Today the 2nd box came home and I wired the 2 subs to 1 ohm and hooked it up to the lrx4.1 So both subs should have saw roughly 400 watts (way below the rms). Since I was impressed with 1 sealed flatlyne...you can only imagine my impressions with 2 subs. Without the changing any settings, the 2 subs was too much! The bass simply took over the car and front stage. I can barely hear the high frequencies from the tweeters as the bass made the sound flutter (kind of like when you speak into a big fan). It made me realize that I need more power for the front stage. I currently have the massive audio ck6 stage 3 comps off a nine.4 which is rated for 50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms. I will dropped that amp to 2 channel settings soon and d/c the back speakers so the comps will doubled that power.

I am no sq fanatic so I will not give a detail review since I am easily pleased as long as it is loud and clear.

My audison lrx4.1 has been cutting in and out so I can't demo the subs much (new amp tomorrow). The subs play one minute and it stops the next...no relation to whether im driving or parked. The grounds are redone, and everything is securely hooked up. The light on the amp stays green even though the subs don't play. I am thinking it is the amp since it happened to me when I changed the LI to a ported box and cranked it up more. But before that it played flawlessly for the last 2 years.

nice write up man... glad you mentioned your judgment of "how good something sounds" .... Also, what amp are you going to next???

Wow... a LI on 900 watts! BTW, do the LI and Flatlynes have the same bolt mounting pattern? I am thinking of running a LI 12" in my Flatlyne's old sealed enclosure (1.34cu/ft) for a future home theater setup. The sub rack amp will put out 950rms in 4ohm. I debated on running a Flatlyne as well, your post got me to thinking......

Wow... a LI on 900 watts! BTW, do the LI and Flatlynes have the same bolt mounting pattern? I am thinking of running a LI 12" in my Flatlyne's old sealed enclosure (1.34cu/ft) for a future home theater setup. The sub rack amp will put out 950rms in 4ohm. I debated on running a Flatlyne as well, your post got me to thinking......

Yes, same mounting

Yes, same mounting

Thanks for the info! I am wanting utilize the same H-nuts that are in that sealed box now.

nice write up man... glad you mentioned your judgment of "how good something sounds" .... Also, what amp are you going to next???

The amp I have now is amassive audio n4. its extremely small

specs on the amp are as follows:

1000w x 1 @ 2ohm RMS @14.4v

2000w x 1 @ 1ohm RMS @14.4v

After wiring it, the load seem to be near or slightly under 2ohms..weird. I double checked my wiring and so assume with all the speaker wires, terminals, etc..then the load won't be a perfect 1 ohm. My electrical sits around 13.5 v so I am not getting full power from the amps either (not that I need it).

So hopefully I am getting near 1-1500 watts split between these two subs.

here are some pictures

the only camera i have is my iphone:

3 Incriminators:

3.jpg

typical cd comparison but from the backside:

img_0812.jpg

left is the LI, right is the flatlyne..which one is heavier?

4.jpg

out with the old (audison), in with the new:

img_0835.jpg

ps3 control to show how small it is:

img_0831.jpg

real small:

img_0834.jpg