theabunai

State of Hawaii trying to ban ALL aftermarket systems

The Hawaii Car Audio community just found out today that the state is trying to pass a law that will make it ILLEGAL to "install, posses, or operate" any aftermarket system including any subwoofers, any speakers exceeding 6.5", any speaker exceeding 100 watts, etc.

The bill can be found here: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2011/bills/HB1178_.pdf

Most of us are just hearing about this today, and the hearing on the bill is Wednesday, Feburary 9th (yes just 2 days from today). We're trying to get as many people as possible to go down to the hearing on Wednesday (I'll be there), but we're also trying to get as many people as possible to submit testimony opposing this bill. I'm asking all members of the car audio community to help us fight this bill.

Here is where you can submit testimony online: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony/

The bill is HB1178, put that in the first box and enter the rest of the information.

This bill is not only going to affect us bass heads down here, but the shops that install this equipment will go out of business. On top of that, all of the retailers that are partners with this site as well as those who aren't will not be able to sell their products to anybody who lives here. Please help us out, it should only take a couple of minutes.

Oh and I'm not sure if there is a specific section that this should go into, I just put it in off-topic so it wouldn't be in the wrong section persay. If the mods want to move this to a more appropriate section that would be awesome.

CAN YOU EFFIN BELIEVE THIS SHIT !!!

THEY ARE ALSO SAYING THAT THIS RULING WILL SET PRECEDENCE AND OPEN THE DOOR FOR OTHER STATES TO INTRODUCE THIS BILL

PLEASE I ASK ALL MEMBERS TO JUST CLICK ON THE LINK FILL IN THE BLANKS AND HIT OPPOSE

Done!

What bullshit!

Done!

What bullshit!

I just got a call from one of the public defenders (who alerted us of this bill being passed from right under the publics nose)

that other states are keeping a close eye on this bill... If it passes in Hawaii it will be adopted and the case ruling will be used to get it passed in their state...

The defender who is helping us had 3 cars done with sounds here LOL

done, such bs

Oh fuck no. Not when I'm this close to finishing my build uh uh hell no. Shit, Texas would scoop this up and all hell would break loose...

"This bill is unbelievable. Plenty of people make a hobby as well as a LIVING out of Car Audio. What kind of sense does it make to put companies in the dirt and destroy the livelihood of people who are gifted with technical genius and have such passion in their field? How fair is that? What happens to freedom of speech? What happens to freedom of expression? If this should pass and spread to other states it will be the death of an industry and with the slim pickings of today's economy what sense does that make?"

Bitches.

Well, I submitted my opposal as well. I can't believe such crap could seriously become law anywhere. I don't know what anyone else was filling out in the comments, but this is the piece of my mind I gave them.

From what I read and understand of this Bill it sounds as if the State Government of Hawaii is trying to undermine and take away simply one of many hobbies that people and enthusiasts can find appealing. To what purpose I might ask as well? What would anyone gain from passing such a Bill into law? As a matter of fact, the Hawaiian Government would be robbing themselves out of a multitude of tax dollars just to make someone happy. Not only would the people not be able to own or purchase the products, but the shops and businesses which sell it will be forced to go out of business and there goes even more tax dollars. No one has ever been hurt, murdered or maimed by this hobby, and for the small amount of frustration it may cause some people to hear other peoples music, there are a lot of good things that can come of supporting such a hobby. With organizations like DbDRAG, IASCA, MECA and others who sponsor and sanction car audio events, there's an outlet there for today's youth to spend their time and effort on as opposed to spending it trying drugs, having sex, and destroying public property. In closing, to pass this Bill will surely have more and worse consequences than anyone may yet realize.

If this would ever pass in my state the Fucker$ can kiss my ass.

That sucks.

Signed.

Good thing NY is pretty lax on car stuff. We can have systems, tint, exhaust..all that :dancing:

Thats the most ridiculous thing i have heard!! Next they be controlling how often you can pee or something!! Fuppin knobheads

They're crazy, there's no way in hell you're gonna ban a world wide thing!

Crazy government :suicide-santa:

wow.... thats all im going to say

This is a good example of as much as ALL of us want Freedom there is some SOB out there that wants to take it away!

Legislators of the great state of Hawaii,

I have recently been informed of Bill HB1178 currently being introduced. This Bill if allowed to pass would have the potential to set forth a horrible chain of events for Hawaii and the rest of the nation. If aftermarket car audio is to be made an offense in Hawaii, many adults both young and old will suffer. Gone will be the joys of working after work to get the ‘perfect sound’ for your daily commute. For many of the people who purchase a vehicle, the ‘stock’ stereo just does not suffice. Could you imagine hearing Beethoven, Bach, Pink Floyd, or any other music with flat un-balanced sound? I know I cannot. It would make the day to day commute even longer. As a result more people may choose to speed to get through the mundane ride even faster. This would increase the risk of traffic accidents, and fatalities. People just do not have the patience to ride in silence, or in boredom.

Another point I would like to make is the economic impact this would have not only in the United States, but worldwide. If aftermarket car audio is forbidden organizations such as MECA (Mobile Electronics Competition Association), DB Drag (Decibel Drag Racing), and other contained organizations would cease to exist. Companies such as Rockford Fosgate (RF on the NYSE), Pioneer, DEI (Directed Electronics Incorporated), and many others also would cease to exist. This would put tens if not hundreds of thousands of currently hard working American’s out of work. In addition shipping companies such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, and the United States Postal Service would lose revenue. The total cost of outlawing something most enthusiasts see as a right, would be detrimental. To do such a thing would also set precedence for this to happen in other states further increasing these potential risks to public safety, the stability of our already fragile economy, and possibly even further than that.

Again, Legislators of Hawaii as a member of United States Armed Forces currently serving in Baghdad, Iraq I ask you not to pass Bill HB1178. To do so would have grave consequences. I look forward to being PCS’d (Permanent Change of Station) to Hawaii in my career. If this bill is allowed to pass, it would truly take away from the pleasure of being able to serve this great country of ours in the great State of Hawaii.

I attached the above. I hope it somehow helps man. Ensure those in attendance are not showing up 'Bumping' or acting like fools. That will only add to the possibility of this going through.

J

thats crazy all i have to say :trippy:

I love Godsmack's comment about the economy if they were to ban mobile audio!

:sleepwerd4:

Post on SMD and CACO!! Many more people will see this there and get a lot of backing!

I posted my organizations opposition to this gross injustice.

Legislators of the great state of Hawaii,

I have recently been informed of Bill HB1178 currently being introduced. This Bill if allowed to pass would have the potential to set forth a horrible chain of events for Hawaii and the rest of the nation. If aftermarket car audio is to be made an offense in Hawaii, many adults both young and old will suffer. Gone will be the joys of working after work to get the ‘perfect sound’ for your daily commute. For many of the people who purchase a vehicle, the ‘stock’ stereo just does not suffice. Could you imagine hearing Beethoven, Bach, Pink Floyd, or any other music with flat un-balanced sound? I know I cannot. It would make the day to day commute even longer. As a result more people may choose to speed to get through the mundane ride even faster. This would increase the risk of traffic accidents, and fatalities. People just do not have the patience to ride in silence, or in boredom.

Another point I would like to make is the economic impact this would have not only in the United States, but worldwide. If aftermarket car audio is forbidden organizations such as MECA (Mobile Electronics Competition Association), DB Drag (Decibel Drag Racing), and other contained organizations would cease to exist. Companies such as Rockford Fosgate (RF on the NYSE), Pioneer, DEI (Directed Electronics Incorporated), and many others also would cease to exist. This would put tens if not hundreds of thousands of currently hard working American’s out of work. In addition shipping companies such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, and the United States Postal Service would lose revenue. The total cost of outlawing something most enthusiasts see as a right, would be detrimental. To do such a thing would also set precedence for this to happen in other states further increasing these potential risks to public safety, the stability of our already fragile economy, and possibly even further than that.

Again, Legislators of Hawaii as a member of United States Armed Forces currently serving in Baghdad, Iraq I ask you not to pass Bill HB1178. To do so would have grave consequences. I look forward to being PCS’d (Permanent Change of Station) to Hawaii in my career. If this bill is allowed to pass, it would truly take away from the pleasure of being able to serve this great country of ours in the great State of Hawaii.

I attached the above. I hope it somehow helps man. Ensure those in attendance are not showing up 'Bumping' or acting like fools. That will only add to the possibility of this going through.

J

I used this, very very well put.

just sent, i was not pleased having to but when a state decides to act like a baby, well, someone has to step up.

Hello, my name is Sean, National Director of SPL-Lab USA.

I have recently been informed of this bill and would like to express what big mistake Hawaii is about to make for the country and not just to the state in which you reside.

It appears to me that this bill has been manifested based on the principles of selfishness of not making it public enough and has created a backdoor to try and push for something that is unnecessary. Interestingly enough, it is this "secrecy" that has me discouraged about the goals of the bill. It is understood to me that this bill is a way to "get back" at the community for basically not respecting others.

If this is the view many supporters have, they are going about it completely wrong.

This bill is another failed attempt at looking at the big picture when it comes to stereo nuisance as in all other things, the stereo scene in itself is and will always be a hobby.

Like many hobbies, most hobbies are completely legal and are there to keep people busy or out of trouble. Looking at the stereo genre that we normally call the car audio scene, this hobby is completely legal. What is misinterpreted is the usage of the hobby.

Car audio is very popular in young teens because their car is their own personal space. Young teens also like going to concerts. Putting the two together equals car audio. We also have another group of people, those who enjoy the realism of music. Taking this hobby away from people is like taking the ability away to go see a movie. It's something the whole nation does, but how responsible are those that do listen to music in their car?

That's what has started it all...

Loud music. Overly excessive for other people who care not to hear it. A personal choice, not a mandatory requirement to keep peace to prevent harm toward someone.

The car audio scene is filled with more responsible adults than uneducated teens. I cannot stress this enough. There are many organizations and leagues around the world, not just in this country that let anybody compete to see who has the loudest vehicle based on divisions to make it fair.

Just like any competition, these competitions builds respect and responsibility to those who have installed an aftermarket setup that has the "potential" of becoming excessively loud. The internet is the most trafficked medium on the planet now. More and more people can get information quicker and easier than ever before. It is because of the internet that we have message boards to help those who are in this hobby to become more educated and also become more responsible about those around them.

My point is clear without any question-

Enforcing this bill to assume mischievous abuse toward the public will open a door so wide, the nation will retaliate involuntarily and will cause this nation to be in worse shape that what it is right now.

Car audio is holding this nation together?

No. Of course not...

Killing off one of the most popular hobbies among many, many, many people around this country will also affect those out of this country as well... It is a snowball effect and will rebound back to many other companies around the world in no time.

If this bill were passed, other states would also like to consider it due to their selfish thinking of handling a very minute problem that is being blown out of proportion.

I must emphasize this-

Does Hawaii realize what they might start?

The entire country is still struggling to find jobs. There are many people still out there that can't find a job. Removing the legal right to have any said aftermarket product installed would diminish sells in this country as this bill were to move from state to state. Cutting back sales would eventually lead to even more jobs and companies disappearing from our history.

And when the American people look back several years later at what we as a nation were doing to try and help ourselves rebuild and grow... They will see Hawaii was one of the first states to start a chain reaction to enforcing such a bill that ultimately led to even more jobs being lost, even more people without jobs. In order for the country to grow, we do NOT fuel the unemployed fire, we employ, not take away!

There are far too many analogies I can use to show how this bill is overly aggressive in every possible view yet I refuse to take the time to explain why because I will not bring myself down to the state's level to explain. If the state can't figure out why, then the people of Hawaii are already victims of a harsh penalty that they should have the privilege of using.

If a state wants to make the people who give the car audio hobby a bad reputation, then go about it at a personal level. Do not attack the whole nation starting with your state.

Sean

SPL-Lab USA

If you have questions, email me- shizzzon@gmail.com