suprefly

Keeping speakers, adding new sub

I've been into car audio for a long time, and this is the first time I've ever even attempted dabbling in home audio, so I'm a bit lost. I have a cheap Logitech X-530 5.1 system (specs in link). Bought it a couple years back, and I am finally fed up with the lack of bass. I have a couple questions/options to run by you wise people...

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-x-530/4507-3179_7-31079671.html

1) I'd like to keep the speakers and just upgrade the sub, but reading around it seems like it may not be trivial. Here's a picture of the speaker hookups

x530_3.jpg

I know it'll take DIY work, so I'm down for that. My question is....is it worth it? or possible?

2) I have two Sundown e8s not doing anything. From reading around, it seems like they may be ill suited for the job, but i really don't know. Could I use those for this project? or any home audio project?

3) Start from scratch, ditch the Logitech....I know I'll need a receiver, but what kind? I'll only use it for parties and my computer, so I don't need 5.1. A decent 2.1 is what I'm after, just something that will work for a college kid's needs.

I know #3 will be the most popular lol. But my budget is terrible at moment. I'd love to hear suggestions though!! And as I read more and become more knowledgeable I can narrow it down to exactly what I want

I'd start over for sure, nothing but crap in that setup. A really retro receiver from a pawn shop/CL will kill it. Then you can add whatever you like for the two speakers and sub.

Haha at M5's comment, logitech is like bose, another marketing scam 8D

Pawn shops are awesomeeee

I figured that'd be the consensus. Ok so receivers.....I don't know anything except for what I've read. I'll hit up CL and pawn shops, but what brands should I look for? Denon, Onkyo, maybe pioneer? And are there certain models to stay away from?

Home audio fail not that familiar with all that kind of stuff!

Tuned in to learn :)

There are tons of options. For your needs though simpler is better. The only downfall with the brands you listed are that they have a variety of quality levels. Onk makes stuff that is just fine, but their Integra line is better, Pio has some okay gear, but Pio Elite is nice and so on. It isn't as simple as brands, but more important models. Either way even the shittiest of any of the above is worlds better than what you have now.

Get some open box Denon from Best Buy and call it a day... Picked up a decent AVR-1709 for about $140 I believe... The output board went on me but Best Buy replaced the receiver.. So all is well...

I'd rather have ultra used CL stuff than open box from retailers. Exclusively based on bad historical luck, but nonetheless.

In many cases older is better anyways as you don't need any processing. Just an amp, volume control and maybe bass/treb pots.

I guess I just know I won't get butt raped at Best Buy so I don't do the CL thing... :peepwall:

There are tons of options. For your needs though simpler is better. The only downfall with the brands you listed are that they have a variety of quality levels. Onk makes stuff that is just fine, but their Integra line is better, Pio has some okay gear, but Pio Elite is nice and so on. It isn't as simple as brands, but more important models. Either way even the shittiest of any of the above is worlds better than what you have now.

Thanks! I've been looking around, and didn't really find a 2.1 receiver/amp. Except for this (saw it recommended somewhere:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=369

Guess it really doesn't matter if it's 2.1 or 5.1, just seems like a 2.1 would be cheaper. Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding receivers' internals......

Anything I find that may be worth anything I'll post up here and Google it thoroughly.

I guess I just know I won't get butt raped at Best Buy so I don't do the CL thing... :peepwall:

I've gotten great deals, and not so great deals. just have to be careful and know what you want. I don't know what i want lol, so maybe i'll stay away until I research more.

While I would also suggest a whole new set up, if you wanted to just add a sub and keep your current speakers without buying a receiver for the speakers you can do so. Just open up the logitech sub and snip the sub's wires, and run the other speakers as you normally would. To get a signal to the sub amp (you would need an external amp for this), split the 3.5mm jack into two outputs, plug the logitech system for the speakers in and a 3.5mm to rca adapter to the amp.

The above setup is ghetto and will not sound as good as a whole new set up would, but if you are tight on cash and can't do it I think this is an acceptable temporary alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion. The more I think about it, the more I feel that putting up with this system, saving money and doing it the right the first time is the best thing to do. Although I may replace the sub with a different little cheap one just to compare stuff ( and as a little side project lol)

So I found some old speakers on CL for $85 that intrigue me, I must say.

They are the Klipsch KG.5s

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kg-5-specifications/

Design Acoustics PS-10a

http://soundt.18.forumer.com/uploads/soundt/post-12-1165809150.jpg

and a pair of Ampex 820s, don't know anything about these except for what the person emailed me"woofer 8" ext range, tweeter 3 1/2 broad disperse, 8 ohms, 15 wats rms, 3,000 hz, 10 lbs"

...really the Design Acoustics caught my attention. What do you all think?

Edited by FF5

So I bought the above speakers for $70. ~$23 a pair, a very good deal

The Design Acoustics PS-10a 10" woofers are in pretty bad condition, of course, but for like $23 totally worth it. I hooked one up to a POS 15w 80s Sanyo and even then it sounded pretty good! The highs and mids are very crisp and articulate. I can't wait to get these back to 100% and feed them some real power. I'm going to replace the woofers with these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-320.

The Klipsch KG .5's are in absolutely fantastic condition. They're hefty little speakers. I hooked them up to an old Harman Kardon 330i at a friend's house, and they sounded great for such a small package. Actually had some punch even in such a large room. I can definitely some use for these guys.

The Ampex are the only ones I couldn't find any info on. The have to be from the 70s lol, by look of them. But they are also in perfect condition. Unfortunately that doesn't translate into fantastic sound haha. They sound ok, good even for just $23. Will make some great garage speakers or something along those lines.

All in all very happy with my purchase!