onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

aww very nice!

i was going to suggest if you had a hard time bending that weak ass 1/4 CRS either:

- bigger pipe

- use a torch

- GROW SOME MUSCLES!

but it seems you already got the 3rd one down pat! lol!

and I like your idea to protect the batteries from external wear and tear! also once it is all done how much weight will be under your truck?

Bwahahaha, grow some muscles. :) Good one. :roflmao:

As for weight. Each of those batteries is 65lbs. 8 batteries with the racks puts us at around 570lbs. Add another 200lbs for the box and subs. The icing on the cake is the 60lbs for the amp. :o Final weight, around 830lbs. If I end up with a case of dragging a$$ I'll try some coils off a 3/4 ton Suburban. If that doesn't work, airbags. :)

and if that doesn't work hydrolics!

and that is a lot of extra weight! lol!

I like the spacer idea..............Makes alot of sense.

J

As for weight. Each of those batteries is 65lbs. 8 batteries with the racks puts us at around 570lbs. Add another 200lbs for the box and subs. The icing on the cake is the 60lbs for the amp. :o Final weight, around 830lbs. If I end up with a case of dragging a$$ I'll try some coils off a 3/4 ton Suburban. If that doesn't work, airbags. :)

Your ass dragging Burb's new best friend.

REAR-3--COIL-SPRING-SPACER-LIFT-KIT-LX-SET-INTERCEPTOR-for-sale_110640895929.jpg

Insane Build? Already there with that extensive battery rack!! Awesome work!! :drink40:

Your ass dragging Burb's new best friend.

REAR-3--COIL-SPRING-SPACER-LIFT-KIT-LX-SET-INTERCEPTOR-for-sale_110640895929.jpg

Holy smokes, solid mounts? Are you serious? Maybe if I was running big balloon tires like 44's on 15" rims or something. I'd be like those "Big Red" three-wheelers Honda use to make. :P

Very nice! I love the creativity and craftsmanship.

Holy smokes, solid mounts? Are you serious? Maybe if I was running big balloon tires like 44's on 15" rims or something. I'd be like those "Big Red" three-wheelers Honda use to make. :P

Tis what I run on mine.

They fit between the spring and the chassis the rear spring to lift the body and leave the suspension where it was. Mine rides as good as it did when not lifted, just saying.

Very nice! I love the creativity and craftsmanship.

Thanks. :drink40:

Tis what I run on mine.

They fit between the spring and the chassis the rear spring to lift the body and leave the suspension where it was. Mine rides as good as it did when not lifted, just saying.

Okay, I get now. Duh, me thinking they were solid mounts. :P That's pretty interesting. So they work well for you huh? Seems cheaper than airbags. Thanks, I'll check them out. :fing34:

Looking good homie! Killer job on the battery trays. :)

Thanks bro. I'm hoping to one day finish this rack and actually move on and install a stereo in this car. :roflmao:

This was a good Monday. Work went by smoothly. Picked up the little ones, no hassles there. Got my chores done with time to spare. How about a little progress? Nothing major today, just made some battery links.

Before going too far I figured I do some work in the virtual world. This is what I came up with. Bare with me as it's a little incomplete since I don't have the cables modeled up. I'll get those in soon. :)

suburban11.jpg

Here we go. Not only do I have a little band saw, I've also got a little drill press. :P I picked up a 12ft bar of 6061-T6 Aluminum locally. It measures 3/8" by 1-1/2", this should be enough to get the job done. I used work's bad a$$ cold saw to make short work of cutting the bar down to the strips I needed.

DSC03390.jpg

Starting off small here with a 1/8" pilot hole.

DSC03391.jpg

Now were cooking. Stepped it up to a 13/32" drill. The studs on the batteries are 3/8-16 so the 13/32" drill will give me a little wiggle room. Ahhh, what a stringy mess.

DSC03392.jpg

The details are where it's at fellas. Take a little pride in what you do and give the little extra effort to debur your holes with a good quality counter sink.

DSC03394.jpg

:) Nuff said.

DSC03395.jpg

OMG! Look at what the cat coughed up. o_o

DSC03396.jpg

Look at that, just like in the computer. :)

DSC03398.jpg

:attempt:

I bet that weight a lot.

Looks good. Wish I had all those tools at my disposal :wub:

very nice going though aluminium i bet lol! and nice job on the counter sink!

did you have an issue with the aluminium spinning as the drill broke though?

and make sure to sell those chips lol! ;)

hey why didn't you make one LONG bar to go across all 4 batteries?

Okay, I get now. Duh, me thinking they were solid mounts. :P That's pretty interesting. So they work well for you huh? Seems cheaper than airbags. Thanks, I'll check them out. :fing34:

HaHa......Yeah, they work great. If you need them, shoot me a mail and I will give you a link to some nice ones. They come in 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3".

BTW, shits looking damn nice Bro. Your builds are always excellent and I love all the extra attention to the small details.

Nice job !

I bet that weight a lot.

Looks good. Wish I had all those tools at my disposal :wub:

I'm going to have to go on a diet just to balance out all the weight I'm adding on to the Suburban. :P The tools I have here at home are so so. The tools at work are what make dreams come true.

very nice going though aluminium i bet lol! and nice job on the counter sink!

Thanks

did you have an issue with the aluminium spinning as the drill broke though?

Since the press runs off vee-belts I actually stalled the drill a couple of times. :P

and make sure to sell those chips lol! ;)

I'll pay it forward and just dump them in the recycle bin at work. :) Save the planet.

hey why didn't you make one LONG bar to go across all 4 batteries?

My paint skills at work here.

suburban11_1.jpg

HaHa......Yeah, they work great. If you need them, shoot me a mail and I will give you a link to some nice ones. They come in 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3".

BTW, shits looking damn nice Bro. Your builds are always excellent and I love all the extra attention to the small details.

Nice job !

Sweet, when ever you get a chance shoot a link via PM. I'd like to check them out. :fing34: Thanks.

Edited by onebadmonte

got ya! nice plan and your paint skills are pretty decent! you should see how other ppl use there paint skills... or rather paint disabilities! ;)

keep up the awesome work and continue to save our planet one chip at a time~! lol!

I really like everything about that rack and mounting system. It's obvious you put a lot of thought and time into it.

Whats your plans for keeping the aluminum bars from corroding? Between galvanic corrosion and the elements it's hard to keep connections clean for long.

< Inspired by your Craftsmanship!

I really like everything about that rack and mounting system. It's obvious you put a lot of thought and time into it.

Whats your plans for keeping the aluminum bars from corroding? Between galvanic corrosion and the elements it's hard to keep connections clean for long.

Thanks. Most of my efforts have focused on packaging and strength. I haven't really put much though on corrosion prevention. I can imagine the aluminum bars will eventually have some of that white flakey stuff. In how long, I don't know. I can anodize the bars black and just sand the area where the bars electrically contact the batteries. What's your take? WWouthopuD?

:) One step at a time. That's all it takes.

Thanks. Most of my efforts have focused on packaging and strength. I haven't really put much though on corrosion prevention. I can imagine the aluminum bars will eventually have some of that white flakey stuff. In how long, I don't know. I can anodize the bars black and just sand the area where the bars electrically contact the batteries. What's your take? WWouthopuD?

:) One step at a time. That's all it takes.

lol. I was thinking the same thing about getting them anodized. If you can precisely remove the anodizing only from the contact points and use a anti corrosion compound to encapsulate the conection thats about the best you can do as far as I know. I had a tube of some stuff that was designed for use when mixed metals are used in electrical connects to prevent galvanic corrosion but can't remember the name off hand. If I think about it I'll look through my tool box when I get a chance and see if I still have it. The last time I did a battery mount under my friends truck I opted to mount it with the terminals facing the ground to make it easier to inspect and clean.

lol. I was thinking the same thing about getting them anodized. If you can precisely remove the anodizing only from the contact points and use a anti corrosion compound to encapsulate the conection thats about the best you can do as far as I know. I had a tube of some stuff that was designed for use when mixed metals are used in electrical connects to prevent galvanic corrosion but can't remember the name off hand. If I think about it I'll look through my tool box when I get a chance and see if I still have it. The last time I did a battery mount under my friends truck I opted to mount it with the terminals facing the ground to make it easier to inspect and clean.

I don't know man. When you look at the car as a whole there's copper and aluminum wires. Steel bolts with various plating's. An iron block, aluminum heads and God knows what else. All this lives in harmony for about three years before the first sign of a rust spot or green and white flakes. As long as all the electrical connections are tight with no arching it'll be a while before anything turns green and white. I'm not saying it wont happen, because it will. At this point I'd question the effort versus the time this will be here. I think I'm going to proceed as is taking note of any excess corrosion/oxidation and how long till it set in.

What's up everybody? I got a little tired of working on the battery rack so I focused my efforts back on the front stage. Last I left things I had some pods roughed out. I glued the required layers together and started off by drilling some holes for the threaded inserts.

DSC03346.jpg

I followed up by sanding the pods to the final profile. Here is a pic of my make shift sander.

DSC03348.jpg

Before I go any further I figure I owe you guys a shot of the man behind the curtain. Also safety first. :P

DSC03369.jpg

I used a primer on these pods for porous surfaces. Nothing fancy, just your standard issue Killz brand home exterior/interior primer.

DSC03373.jpg

This was followed up with a couple coats of grey paint.

DSC03389.jpg

As the paint dries. I worked on how I would mount these pods to the doors. Like all good mounts we start with a hole.

DSC03371.jpg

The follow up is what makes the difference. In this case I fell back on my classic rivnut follow up. A classy way to put threads in sheet metal.

DSC03372.jpg

Now we're talking. Prepping the wires.

DSC03399.jpg

More on the way. :)

Great man! Keep the pics coming! Enjoying the progress!

:drink40: