onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

This build is truly inspiring. My word for this build is Wow.

Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks, I just hope the battery rack doesn't end up in some parking lot after I go over a speed bump. :P

Eh, with all the 1/0 wire connected to it you won't loose it! :o

Wow that is awesome work! Looks like great position on the fuse holders

Thanks. After carefully studying my Luopan, a Feng Shui compass, it's guidance revealed that this would be the best location for optimum performance. Not to mention the Kicker manual recommended having fuses with in 18" of the battery bank. :P On a serious note I wanted the cables to flow and have good access to the fuses if necessary. :)

Got a little work done today. I worked on the cabling from the battery bank to the amp. Lets start off from the battery bank to the fuse holders on the positive side. Here is a shot looking forward through the real license plate opening in the rear bumper.

DSC03674.jpg

Looking up from the ground.

DSC03676.jpg

Here is a shot from the amp side of the fuse holder going up and through the floor.

DSC03684.jpg

Now lets take a look at the negative side. Here we're looking through the rear license plate opening .

DSC03672.jpg

A shot from the ground looking up.

DSC03677.jpg

Here is a shot of how the cables work around the body and in between the frame cross-member to get to the opening in the body floor to get to the amp.

DSC03686.jpg

DSC03687.jpg

Lastly the cables through the floor and into the rear cargo area.

DSC03689.jpg

For those wondering, the white stuff is baby powder. I cant emphasize enough how dusting the cables and grommets with it will make fishing the cables through the grommets so much easier.

:)

Everything is looking A-1. Love all the custom tabs and brackets, makes everything so nice and clean. You have some serious time invest in this build. I know how long it takes just to make all the cables alone. Much respect for doing it all right the first time.

And I thought baby powder was only to make a diaper smell good! Wiring Looks Great!!

Thanks fellas. :fing34: I've been putting some work in the ol' burb, but my camera's battery decided to take a permanent vacation. :jon: I finally got a chance to pic up one of those multi-memory card reader thingies. Now I'm back in action using the wife's fancy Nikon. :) This time around I made a fuse holder holder for the power cables off the alternators. Nothing fancy, just a steel plate to keep everything together under the hood. Here is my steel plate drilled and ready for tapping.

DSC03693.jpg

Three holes and twenty minutes later, FHACK!!!! Broken tap. :(

DSC03691.jpg

I borrowed one of these bad mahmajamas from work. We use these in our CNC machines. 8-32 thread, spiral 3 flute design, bottoming tap for blind holes.

DSC03694.jpg

It tapped like a dream. Using this tap really brought back the fun in doing this work. It was like a hot knife cutting through butter. It took less than five minutes to tap the rest of the holes. I love the chips this tap makes. Bummer it's $18 a tap. o_o

DSC03695.jpg

Here is a shot of the fuse holder holder assembly.

DSC03697.jpg

DSC03698.jpg

Here is where I'm thinking of placing it.

DSC03704.jpg

Before I do I'm going to have to do something about this whachamacallit.

DSC03705.jpg

To keep it simple I'm going to move it up and over a bit to clear the upper power cables. Here you can see the reference mark I put on the upper right mount.

DSC03706.jpg

I traced the mounting profile onto a sheet of paper then moved the whachamacallit over to the new location lining the reference mark up with the upper right mount.

DSC03708.jpg

With the mounting locations drawn, I marked the centers of the mounting holes. I followed up by doing my folding paper trick. This saves me time by not having to measure and remember numbers to make the part I need to make.

DSCN0092.jpg

Essentially what I do is just lay my plate on the sheet and transfer all the reference marks onto the plate. Then I just use a ruler to connect the reference marks, locating the hole centers.

DSCN0093.jpg

With the hole centers located I use a center punch to create location dimples for my hand punch.

DSCN0099.jpg

Here it is, what ever it is, relocated up and over just a smidgen. :)

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

Here is a preview of what's to come. Yes it's in black and white.

DSCN0080.jpg

is anything on this truck left untouched at this point? amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail yet again man. keep going, love me some GM builds

is anything on this truck left untouched at this point? amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail yet again man. keep going, love me some GM builds

The visible exterior is still stock. :) Once it's all done most of this will not be visible so I've got to give the small details their moment in the spotlight. :P Thanks.

Thread bump. :P I've got some more work done, no I'm not done yet, thanks for asking. I updated my quad alt bracket setup a bit. If you'd like to read about it I posted my updated in my quad alt bracket review thread. Here is a link in case you're interested.

Quad Alt Bracket Review

Now onto my build. Nothing spectacular here, just got the power cables cut and installed. I started off by taking some measurement and making notes. Got to love notes. You start off thinking proactively and taking notes. Then when it comes to going back to them, you read them and that make no sense what so ever. Well here is a shot of my chicken scratches.

DSCN0106.jpg

With measurements in hand it's time to cut some cable. Just got to find me a little room. I think I found the spot. These are going to be some long cables.

DSCN0112.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, I ran out of cable. :( I ended up buying some more cable at the local welding supply store. Paid a premium for cable I wasn't impressed with. Oh well, what do you do? I got a little more than what I needed, so I'm going to bundle it up on the side till I get the cable I like. That way I can use this cable for something else. Here are some shots of the cable runs.

DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

More on the way. Stay tuned. :)

um........ i don't think you'll ever experience a voltage drop with that much power flow...

Moar updates. :o I got a chance to work all weekend on this bish, and I'm still not done. :( Any ways, on today's installment of the never ending build I worked on an alternator wiring harness. The quad alt bracket kit came with these plain ol' pigtails.

DSCN0124.jpg

Not bad, but I'm wanting something that will plug right into the factory harness without any cutting and splicing. After a bit of searching I found and outfit online that sold individual connectors terminals and little thing-a-ma-gigs. I ordered a few and this is what came in.

DSCN0113.jpg

If we're going to do this we're going to do it with the right tools.

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

Check the crimp it leaves

DSCN0129.jpg

Well I though I had the right connector, turns out I didn't. The orientation tang is on the wrong side. :( It's okay I can use these to plug into the factory harness. I'll salvage to connectors off the pigtails to connect to the alternators.

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

Here is a shot of the factory alternator plug.

DSCN0120.jpg

Here is the new plug on the factory harness. Interchanging between this new plug and the original alternator plug is a breeze. All it takes is a toothpick to bend down the terminal retaining tang. Then just pull out the terminal, bend up the retaining tang, then install in the original plug. Easy peazy. :)

DSCN0121.jpg

Here is the mating plug to the new plug.

DSCN0123.jpg

With plug-gate sorted out I opted to make the harness on the bench. Here is how everything got routed.

DSCN0131.jpg

The finished product ready for install. :)

DSCN0132.jpg

We're on a roll tonight.

This is it fellas, I'm buttoning things up. Staring at the front, working towards the rear. Up first, everything under the hood. Lets start off with some shots of the alts.

DSCN0139.jpg

Hey everybody, it's the creampuff making a cameo appearance. :P

DSCN0146.jpg

Here is a shot of the power cables to the firewall if you were 9ft tall.

DSCN0140.jpg

Close up of the fuse holder, holder. :P

DSCN0141.jpg

A straight shot following the cables into the firewall.

DSCN0142.jpg

Side shot of the fuses.

DSCN0147.jpg

I also got the inner wheel well in place. Here is how the grounds look. Stealthy, as intended. :)

DSCN0143.jpg

Here is looking up from the ground at the grounds. :\

DSCN0144.jpg

That's it for tonight.

Looking great as always!!! I love your creativity and ingenuity!!

Everything is looking GREAT!!! Love that you built a harness for the alts instead of just butting them all together! ;)

the only bad thing i see is that it looks like your tire is almost dead hahaha. Great look of everything man

Looking great as always!!! I love your creativity and ingenuity!!

Thanks, finally getting there. :morepower1:

Everything is looking GREAT!!! Love that you built a harness for the alts instead of just butting them all together! ;)

Thanks. I took a little bit of searching to find the connectors at a price I felt comfortable paying. Lots of places were willing to sell them to me but at a price that I thought was ridiculous. :P I'm happy with the way it turned out.

the only bad thing i see is that it looks like your tire is almost dead hahaha. Great look of everything man

Bwahaha! I know. I've been eyeing some wheels in the 4wheel parts catalog, just don't tell momma I'm looking. :|

Moar progress! I got some coil spacers to level the Suburban out with the added weight in the rear. Big thanks to Sir Lancelot for turning me on the these. Now if only he was around to help me put these in. Boy, were these a bish to get in. Made me feel like an amateur installing these spacers. :o I lifted one side of the axle and used a coil compressor to get the coil out. I wasn't able to compress the coil enough to get the spacer in. I guess I should have eaten my Wheaties before tackling this job. I resorted to using my uber cheesy orange HF press to compress the coil just enough to the coil and the spacer in place.

100_3959.jpg

Here is a shot of the spacers in place.

100_3962.jpg

Before getting the spacers in place the rear of the Suburban measured 37" to the top center of the rear wheel opening. The front measured 36" With the spacers in place and the Suburban weighted down the rear now measures 38" and the front measured 37". Weird, but it is what it is I guess. Any ways, check these next pics.

100_3965.jpg

Yep, that's three rows of seats. With the front bench, this bad boy seats 9. In Maryland this could be considered a bus. :P

100_3967.jpg

Still need to make all the connections to the amp. Last step get the battery rack in place and fire it all up. Cant wait. :woot:

Edited by onebadmonte

DAMN!!!!!! that looks amazing! plus, keeping all of your seating is much better than dropping down to only a 6 seater

I see a major issue.

There have been way too many posts without the use of any riv-nuts. Lol. Seriously though it's all coming together real nice. This is a major build for sure.

DAMN!!!!!! that looks amazing! plus, keeping all of your seating is much better than dropping down to only a 6 seater

Thanks. Keeping all the seats was one of my goals. Applying for a bus permit in the state of Maryland was just spur of the moment. :OP

I see a major issue.

There have been way too many posts without the use of any riv-nuts. Lol. Seriously though it's all coming together real nice. This is a major build for sure.

Bwahahahah! Funny guy right here ^^^^ He'll be performing through out this thread. :OP Thanks bro. I appreciate you hanging in here till the end. :drink40: I can't believe I'm almost done. With the install portion that is. I've still got to test, tune and fix anything that got effed up during installation. :o

The last of the major components is finally going in, the battery rack. :o I've been kind of nervous about this one. Eight batteries at 60lbs a pop are going up all at once. This is how I pulled it off in my driveway. A big thanks to my buddy Rick, who gave up quality family time, to give me his opinion on how it all should have been done and reminded me how my dad could have done this whole install with a crescent wrench and a rubber hose. Thanks. :P

To get the battery rack up in place I came up with this contraption. It's a pair of scissor style transmission jacks from harbor freight with a board bolted a top of them. The board came from an old entertainment center I trashed. Recycling FTW!

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

Here is the fully assembled battery rack on my custom one-off :P lift.

DSCN0188.jpg

I lucked out that the Suburban was tall enough to allow me to roll the rack in place. :)

DSCN0189.jpg

Against all odds and reason the lift worked.

DSCN0195.jpg

I used some extra scissor jacks to level out the rack as I got it closer in place since the driveway slanted down at a funny angle.

DSCN.jpg

A couple of shots of the final connections.

DSCN0197.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

Here are some shots of the rack in place. I took these the following morning since my camera batteries decided to take the night off the previous evening.

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

That's it. It's all wired up and ready for the smoke test. Stay tuned for the follow up.

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

Edited by onebadmonte

Sexy!

Like the amp guts showing.

I know you have been playing it, and????????????

DSCN0204.jpg

Looks Awesome and there is enough room for a SSA party in there!!!

If there was no smoke then I guess it's time to get tuning!