Sign in to follow this  
sgreer5

Q or Bl

I know there are tons of forums out there comparing the two but I do not want just simple answers like "just get the Bl" or "go with the Q". I am wanting to know how much of a sacrifice in SQ do you make in going with the 12" Bl. How much of a sacrifice is there in SPL when getting the 12 "Q? Ive got a saz-1500d and a 6th order bandpass built for a Q. But i was beginning to get second thoughts about the Q so I wanted to get some advice. I dont want to sound like 2 l7's as far as SQ, I would really like to mimic the sound of a W7. Iv heard one of those and they sound pretty nice. I guess im about 65/35 in terms of SQ v Spl. My main goal is to sound clean and powerful anywhere from 30-80 hz, but also to get loud enough to where someone can tell that its not just any ol sub setting in the back of my car. Any advice

I can't give you specifics or any in depth answer as to how much sq or spl you'd gain/lose from one driver to the other.

But I can say, I've heard the w7s, and I've personally owned a BL and used it in a traditional ported enclosure (tuning 33hz), and the BL sounded just as well as the w7.

Can't compare output because the w7 was a 8" and the BL was a 18" :P

I know if the choice was mine, I'd pick the bl up.

Another driver to consider is the xcon, it's aimed for SQ over spl, but has the ability to get very loud.

After owning both I'd say go with the bl. To me they sounded about the same with the bl giving a little bit more thump.

I only switched to the q because I prefer to run sealed enclosures.

I haven't heard a Q but i have a 12" bl and I love it. It gets really loud on the mids and isn't terrible on the lows either. As far SQ it does sound pretty good, I had two 12" cvrs before the bl and I thought the bl had a lot better SQ. So I would definitely go with the Bl.

Research the w7 its not that sq'ish of a sub all hipe!! Jl=over priced china chink crap!!!!!!!

Fi=Well designed "AMERICAN MADE" good quility subwoofers for a good price!!!

(My opinion not bashing on jl just dont agree with their prices)

Bl!!! all i got to say my 12inch bl's are clean as hell but those dam xcons sound good and the icon's are about the same just 1krms rated instead of 1850.

I think the icon would be more of your taste.

Research the w7 its not that sq'ish of a sub all hipe!! Jl=over priced china chink crap!!!!!!!

Bl!!! all i got to say my 12inch bl's are clean as hell but those dam xcons sound good and the icon's are about the same just 1krms rated instead of 1850.

You the 3rd person to recomend a 12" Xcon.. The only problem with that is that iv already paid for a design for a 12" Q 6th order bandpass enclosure.. Not to get off subject here, but how well do the Xcons perform vs someone who has had a Bl? Has anyone had experience with both?

Would also like to hear more about the Q v Bl so sorry to get off track for a second!

ive used a 12" Q and a 15" Q. I think they are very clean sounding, as for spl not so wonderful. I have never heard a W7, heard 2 w6's and hated em. No experience with a BL or a '6th order bandpass box'. I think you should be trying to find out how the 2 will perform in your specific enclosure. Maybe one of the more advanced users can chime in on 6th order boxes. maybe a 6th order doesnt fit your goals? Ive also never heard a single complaint about an Xcon. i cant think of any complaints on the BL either as far as SQ goes, but then again most people who buy the BL aren't chasing SQ either.

Edited by smashedz28

You the 3rd person to recomend a 12" Xcon.. The only problem with that is that iv already paid for a design for a 12" Q 6th order bandpass enclosure.. Not to get off subject here, but how well do the Xcons perform vs someone who has had a Bl? Has anyone had experience with both?

Would also like to hear more about the Q v Bl so sorry to get off track for a second!

I worked with the xcons helped sirlancelot with his 4"18inch setup heard his two 18 setup before he started the new one.

Both clean and loud!!!

Big difference between the xcon and the bl the xcons where designed for more of a flat response so they will sound better then the bl driver setups because the bl is more spl so it can be peaky in a good well designed box which will make them scream!!!!

I think the the XCON out performs the BL in sound quality and loudness. Im not sure about the numbers each one would put up in the SPL comp but the Xcon sounds louder to me. Thats compared to a regular BL. I have not heard the BL with the 4" coil option as of yet.

Jl isnt china chink crap, but it is expensive.

From what I have stated above about my goal, how do you guys think that a 12" Xcon in a sealed box ran from a SAZ-1500 @ 1 ohm would sound?

From what I have stated above about my goal, how do you guys think that a 12" Xcon in a sealed box ran from a SAZ-1500 @ 1 ohm would sound?

Honestly, if you have the room to do a ported enclosure I would do that over a sealed box. Tune around 30hz and youll love it.

Try it sealed first. You will be pleasantly surprised at the output. :fing34:

I am not just guessing at this either.

If you wanted more, you could port it later.

Honestly, if you have the room to do a ported enclosure I would do that over a sealed box. Tune around 30hz and youll love it.

Why would you say that (not saying your wrong I just want to learn). I thought that since I wanted low AND highs that a sealed would allow for a more flat response in the higher frequencies?

Why would you say that (not saying your wrong I just want to learn). I thought that since I wanted low AND highs that a sealed would allow for a more flat response in the higher frequencies?

A sealed enclosure would give a flatter response, but ported would have a lot more output and low tuning would allow you to play the lows and highs.

Higher tuning would be more peaky. I tuned to 33hz in my last enclosure and the response wasn't peaky at all. Also depends on cabin characteristics

Im thinking this is what I might do.

A sealed enclosure would give a flatter response, but ported would have a lot more output and low tuning would allow you to play the lows and highs.

Higher tuning would be more peaky. I tuned to 33hz in my last enclosure and the response wasn't peaky at all. Also depends on cabin characteristics

So even though its tuned to 32hz, it still plays the upper frequency?

Ok since I also changed from the q to the xcons ill chime in.

In sealed the xcon has more thump than the q. I actually discovered bass beats in songs that I hadn't heard before.

Love my xcons I have now. Running two 15" sealed in 3 cf each on an audiopipe 3k and it sounds awesome.

So even though its tuned to 32hz, it still plays the upper frequency?

Higher tuning and you lose the low end but gain on the higher end.

Low tuning, you can play the lows and highs but the highs wont have as much of a boost compared to the higher tuning.

I would tune low, be able to play everything like a sealed box yet still have more output then sealed.

Even tuning in the high 20s would give you more output then sealed box

Listen to this man... Just got my Icon in a ported cuz I gave into Stef and Lance .... It's been Facking great so far... Wish I had the proper amplifier though... I might be able to get a sweet deal on a US AMP VLX2 but I'll see what happens later into the spring...

Any suggestions for nice sealed enclosures.. Would really like to go prefab since this is sealed. But I want a nice prefab. Cant really find much besides ebay..

Why don't you have argent audio on here build you one? He does awesome work and is very affordable.

Sign in to follow this