Tony Nelson

Box Carpet?

I'll be building a new box this weekend for my new Xcon 12. I have seen quite a few boxes with black carpet and white ports lately, and I really do like how they look. So I was gonna try one myself.

Parts Express has some black carpet. One has a latex backing and the other one doesn't. Is there a plus to one over the other?

Should I be looking else where for carpet? What have you guys used? I've never done carpet, just textured paint, and want something differant. I am just unsure what to get.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Nelson

They have carpet at walmart that has many uses. One of em luckily is using it for speaker boxes :) it'll be in the automotive part of the store. Usually by the floor mats.

You will want to use a nonbacked carpet, as it is stretchy. You will have two types of carpet. Trunk liner which has a pressed look which is what you will find on most prefabenclosures. And carpet which has a nap like household carpet. Regular napped carpet is a preferred material. If you need more help I will do a write up with picture how I wrap my boxes,

yeah get the stretchier one as it will be easier for you to hide seams that way since you are new at it.

They have carpet at walmart that has many uses. One of em luckily is using it for speaker boxes :) it'll be in the automotive part of the store. Usually by the floor mats.

I will have to check out walmart for sure.

You will want to use a nonbacked carpet, as it is stretchy. You will have two types of carpet. Trunk liner which has a pressed look which is what you will find on most prefabenclosures. And carpet which has a nap like household carpet. Regular napped carpet is a preferred material. If you need more help I will do a write up with picture how I wrap my boxes,

The only carpeted boxes I have seen have been pre-fabs. So when I think of carpet, thats what I see. I would need to see the other type to know exactly what it is. I have watched a few videos and read some write ups, but another one certainly wouldn't hurt!!! That would be great. :drink40:

yeah get the stretchier one as it will be easier for you to hide seams that way since you are new at it.

Thats what I have read so far, but also if its too thin and stretchy it can tear easy???

Thanks for the info so far!!!

If you're new to wrapping enclosures I'd suggest the non-backed material, as it's easier to stretch & cut.

Do yourself a favor and watch this video prior to actually doing the work. It'll teach you how to wrap the enclosure properly with a single piece of material (many new guys use multiple pieces and it usually ends up looking poor):

There are other ways to cut the material, but the "half moon" is pretty easy to do correctly. The guy in the video doesn't actually do it perfectly, but the results are still okay...

Edited by dizzle138

I liked the X cut but now I do tucking.

I mostly work with vinyl these days. It can be a pita when wrapping a box, but it's awesome for beauty panels & such...

If you're new to wrapping enclosures I'd suggest the non-backed material, as it's easier to stretch & cut.

Do yourself a favor and watch this video prior to actually doing the work. It'll teach you how to wrap the enclosure properly with a single piece of material (many new guys use multiple pieces and it usually ends up looking poor):

There are other ways to cut the material, but the "half moon" is pretty easy to do correctly. The guy in the video doesn't actually do it perfectly, but the results are still okay...

:+1: for the vid!! Thanks!

I want to get into the vinyl wrapping too. :) tips?

- Be sure to use plenty of glue (and staples).

- Vinyl with a bit of padding is awesome for big panels, as it gives everything a "plush" look, but you'll want to remove any padding when working within tight spots.

- Invest in a decent heat gun or hair dryer. You'll need to apply heat to make the vinyl "stretchy" when working with sharp angles or within tight spaces.

- Don't be afraid to call a few upholstery shops if you want fancy stuff like french seams.

- The "tuck" method you referred to earlier can make working with vinyl MUCH easier. Simply tuck the vinyl into a crack and push some florist wire (or small speaker wire) in there to hold things down. It's cheating, but it works.

- Patience is a virtue.

I'm with phi, who spends more on wrapping the enclosure than the sub is worth? :suicide-santa:

It wasn't a bad setup for my 16 year old sister at the time. BTW she's the one who wrapped it. :popcorn:

lol @ the wrap to sub ratio... But it looks damn good anyway...

That was one of the videos I watched. Good explanation.

It wasn't a bad setup for my 16 year old sister at the time. BTW she's the one who wrapped it. :popcorn:

Little sis has got some skills. :)