Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SA-12 vs. Treo TSX

SA 12 swap out from Treo TSX - SMD Forum

Originally posted by kr15 on my SMD Forum :

(All italics text posted by kr15)

Summary : 1.2 dB up with the SA-12

-----

Well I have an SA 12 in the mail from Jacob. I am currently running a Tsx at 2ohm on a MBQ 1500d, so 800rms or so. The Treo is in an optimal box for TSX specs. The SA will also be in an optimal box. This is in a trunk car...When sub gets here and after I break it in some, I will post numbers from the swap. Both subs will have recieved 800rms, and both subs will have been in enclosures made to specs so I feel the comparison is pretty fair. The TSX is only rated at 400rms, but thats a joke. It has a 2.5inch coil and nice motor structure/soft parts etc, so even tho the SA specs out better on paper, the TSX isnt your standard 400w driver so I feel that the comparison is fair here as well..

I plan to meter both subs and music and tones, I will state those numbers and also compare them based on my thoughts of the SQ of the two. I will post a video as well..

And just for fun, a Flex team mate has offered to use his SAZ 3k to see what we can do. The Treo might go up in smoke (hope we get a vid), but the SA should handle it...

I predict the SA to do 139 on music and 140 on a tone. The Treo is about 138 on music, Im not sure about on a tone. So I expect about a 1db gain from the SA...we shall see. And a Thanks to Jacob for supplying me with an item for my addiction

-----

Got my package today, and I must say that this thing is impressive....I think the "600w" rating on this thing may be a bigger line of bullshit then the "max" ratings on Lanzar amps (which we all know is the biggest single falsehood in car audio)...You might be more likely to actually get 4000w out of one of those lanzar amps then you would be to damage this sub on 600w...Heck of a product Jacob..."Entry Line" my ass...lol

-----

This thing is amazing Jacob. Fresh out of the box, not even broken in, suspension still stiff as hell and in a box that is spec'd for the Treo, this sub is definately louder and probabley has better SQ then the Treo. You have officially converted me from Treo...I am having a box built to the specs you emailed me based on my power and goals by a teammate and we will TL it that day, hopefully in a week or 2. I will post up results and a video. Sundown! FTW!

Here are some comparison pics. 2 very overbuilt subs, the Treo being a "400w" driver and the SA a "600w" driver

2cx6ped.jpg

24v1j6c.jpg

-----

Ok, finally some numbers for you guys....in a direct swap out, the sundown was 1.2db louder then the treo was on music...the treo had done a 137.9, the sa did a 139.1...on a tone, 51hz (my cabin peak :( ), the sundown did a 140.3 this was done at the headrest. I literally dropped the Sundown into the box the treo was in and have made no adjustments....Once I make a box for the sundown, i will update the numbers...

-----

Sundown FTMFW

It's a secret at least until march 5! The actual numbers are better than posted and we're building another box currently.

Glad to see customers doing real comparisons as well !

I think this is one of the better ways to help consumers...I could have simply said" the sundown is better"...but that doesnt mean much to most people. The term lab is more credible then my opinion to a consumer....I also think this helps for those people who are making those "versus" decisions...That said, I would still recomend both companies, but if someone wanted more output at the entry level, i would reccomend an SA sub..

wish more people would do test's like this. just purchased a Treo SSX and would of loved to see a good review on it before i bought it.

Great Sundown product review again. Great products Jacob!!

just purchased a Treo SSX and would of loved to see a good review on it before i bought it.
no worries there, the SSX is a great driver.....but i know what you mean

I have a customer that swapped out two older Alpine Type X's with a pair of SA-12's in the Alpine box powered by an AB-VFL 80.1. The SQ and overall loudness to the ear was noticeable immediately. Never got it on the TL yet but he is totally converted to Sundown as well.

Great test against a very reputable brand.

Thanks for the comparison test.

Sign in to follow this