Sign in to follow this  
sgreer5

Amp Rack/ False Floor

I am getting ready to build a nice simple sealed enclosure for my 12" Xcon. While im building this, I would like to go ahead and build an amp rack. I want something fairly simple. A false floor with the amps mounted down in the floor would look nice IMO but I need help as to how to start or what to do? this rack is for my 2000 Celica and the two amps are a Kicker 10ZX350.4 and a SAZ-1500. Pics or videos or just advice would be great!

I don't have pics or videos, but the easiest way to make a false floor is to start by making a template out of cardboard or poster boards. Once you have the layout built, transfer that over to a sheet of MDF. Lay the template on a sheet of MDF, trace the template, then cut out the shape.

I don't have pics or videos, but the easiest way to make a false floor is to start by making a template out of cardboard or poster boards. Once you have the layout built, transfer that over to a sheet of MDF. Lay the template on a sheet of MDF, trace the template, then cut out the shape.

X2. That's how almost everyone does it

X2. That's how almost everyone does it

To reduce weigh/costs, would 5/8" or 1/2" MDF work?

as long as it supports the weight of whats on top of it i dont see the problem.

Your false floor doesn't have to be mdf either. Mine is 1/2" thick ply.

You could build it with almost anything, plywood, mdf, formica countertop, pressboard, steel, plastic, 1x4, 2x4, etc. Are you going to carpet it or cover it in some way?

You could build it with almost anything, plywood, mdf, formica countertop, pressboard, steel, plastic, 1x4, 2x4, etc. Are you going to carpet it or cover it in some way?

I think carpet it? And I want to protect my amps with fiberglass or something like that but they cant stay cool like that. Unless I do cooling fans. Which is way out of my league in fabricating

for my buddy's integra when we did a floor, we just took the carpet out of the hatch (was a piece by itself) and traced it. If your carpet comes out like this, you can try this, just to save a step.

for my buddy's integra when we did a floor, we just took the carpet out of the hatch (was a piece by itself) and traced it. If your carpet comes out like this, you can try this, just to save a step.

[/quot

the carpet does come out in one piece for my celica. but do you raise the floor like 2"s or what?

the carpet does come out in one piece for my celica. but do you raise the floor like 2"s or what?

I believe the saz1500d is over 2" in height, so that wouldn't work for ya now would it :P

The more space between the amps and false floor, the more heat dissipation and cooling.

I believe the saz1500d is over 2" in height, so that wouldn't work for ya now would it :P

The more space between the amps and false floor, the more heat dissipation and cooling.

Im thinking of rasing the floor about 4 inches. As far as integrating a sealed enclosure with the floor? Do I just set the box on top of the false floor or do you guys have anymore ideas?

For heat dissipation and cooling =

What you could do, but which would take a bit of work. Put in the false floor and amp rack. Carpet over all of it make it look "pretty." Then get small squares of 2x4's and screw them in to where your amp would normally screw in to the amp rack. So this way, you are actually raising up the amp and putting more space between the amp rack and the amp itself.

I hope that's not too confusing...

Im thinking of rasing the floor about 4 inches. As far as integrating a sealed enclosure with the floor? Do I just set the box on top of the false floor or do you guys have anymore ideas?

You could always build the encloser to fit your trunk space. As in, you could build the box to fit the part under the carpet, have the sub firing towards the roof, then to finish it, put a false floor around the sub. Make it look nice and maybe even sparkle lol?

What you could do, but which would take a bit of work. Put in the false floor and amp rack. Carpet over all of it make it look "pretty." Then get small squares of 2x4's and screw them in to where your amp would normally screw in to the amp rack. So this way, you are actually raising up the amp and putting more space between the amp rack and the amp itself.

So what your saying is do not mount the amp straight onto a piece of wood? Basiclly give the amp space on the top (the cutout in the floor) and the bottom (the small squares that are attached to the bottom floor)

You could always build the encloser to fit your trunk space. As in, you could build the box to fit the part under the carpet, have the sub firing towards the roof, then to finish it, put a false floor around the sub. Make it look nice and maybe even sparkle lol?

Does firing it up not make it sound different? But I like that idea. If my elclosure will fit in the spare tire place i can build it from there and that way with the depth of the spare tire well and the 4" of the false floor, the top of the sub box might not stick up much higher than the top of the false floor? Idk if thats what your saying but I hope that makes since?

So what your saying is do not mount the amp straight onto a piece of wood? Basiclly give the amp space on the top (the cutout in the floor) and the bottom (the small squares that are attached to the bottom floor)

Um... You can mount it on to a piece of wood but if you want it to look good then carpet it. I am saying to put small 2x4's inbetween your amp rack and your amp. So there is a gap under the amp for it to "breathe." And then I'm not sure what you mean when you are talking about the cutout in the floor. Maybe i didn't read your first post correctly but where are you trying to install this amp? In your trunk? Backseat?

Iv drawn a simple sketch of my idea on work but i cant figure out how to get it on here?

Does firing it up not make it sound different? But I like that idea. If my elclosure will fit in the spare tire place i can build it from there and that way with the depth of the spare tire well and the 4" of the false floor, the top of the sub box might not stick up much higher than the top of the false floor? Idk if thats what your saying but I hope that makes since?

Um, depends. Some people think it does and some people think it doesn't. In my opinion it does but not in a horrible way. Yeah that's what i am talking about. Try to get it flush with the false floor

357hvrm.jpg

This is a simple drawing of my idea

66g6dt.jpg

This is the same sketch but it shows my idea for where ill have carpet

I know this is very amature, but its the best I could do.