cruzer23

Where to put subs? What would u do?

RearSeat.jpg

RearSeat2.jpg

Console.jpg

FrontSeats.jpg

as u can tell, no where to put subs under the seat. behind the seat, there is very very little space. The back seat is a 60/40 bench seat. that means one side is a seat and the middle seat, while the other seat is just 1 seat. lastly u can see that the console is not very wide, its not even 10" wide so cant even do a 10" sub there unless someone has an idea.

only way i see console box working is if i downfire it, but it would be a tall box, as the sub cant mount between the seats, so it would be above the seats. so take a good 5" or more mounting depth sub, +the 4 inches to get over the seat+ 2-3 inches behind sub, it would be really tall.

also behind the console, i tried to figure out a way for it to work there, but again same prob, its not 10" at any part, i would have to go with an 8" which just doesnt cut it for me for a single sub setup. not to mention i want a SQ sub, not an spl sub (sa-8).

i could remove a seat, but looks really retarded. not to mention i want to be able to fit people

ideas?

can you take out the middle on the back seats? custom console with some 8's if so

In my dads dodge ram we put a small box for a 10" Polk behind the center console. When we need to carry 3 people in the back, we simply unhook it and tape up the wires so they don't short circuit.

But with the enclosure in, we can still carry 2 people in the back.

I'll post a picture later.

Yeah I do not see much options there. I have done a few home theatre installations with bass shakers. Might be an option for you. Check out partsexpress.com. Or as bigjon mentioned if you can take out the middle of the rear seats.

front center console would work for 8s, but thats it. im looking for pure SQ with as much loudness as i can get. not sundown, fi, etc. ""SQL"". so image dynamics id 8s would be what i use and they are only 150 each, not sure if they could handle my 510@4ohms non clipped. i would think, but not sure if it would be loud enough.

currently running two 10s ported 870watts.

i tried designing the single sub behind the console, but not sure how to get a 10, or 12" sub in the spot. its only like 9" wide, so i cant mount a 10" there. unless i go up more, and make it expand somehow, but then will the motor fit? and i cant go too tall or everyone will see it clearly from outside even from far if its over the windows

front center console would work for 8s, but thats it. im looking for pure SQ with as much loudness as i can get. not sundown, fi, etc. "SQL". so image dynamics id 8s would be what i use and they are only 150 each, not sure if they could handle my 510@4ohms non clipped. i would think, but not sure if it would be loud enough.

currently running two 10s ported 870watts.

i tried designing the single sub behind the console, but not sure how to get a 10, or 12" sub in the spot. its only like 9" wide, so i cant mount a 10" there. unless i go up more, and make it expand somehow, but then will the motor fit? and i cant go too tall or everyone will see it clearly from outside even from far if its over the windows

You keep stating you want SQ and not spl, yet you bring power ratings into the equation...

Have you ever heard an sa8, or a 10" Fi Q?

Just because you have 510watts doesn't mean you need to use all of it... consider it headroom.

How can you honestly say your into SQ when you list your current substage as "two 10s in a ported box, with 870watts" <-That doesn't tell us shit, only gives the impression that you aren't an audiophile looking for true SQ, but someone looking for something loud and musical.

Report back with some detailed information of your current front stage and sub stage.

Help us help you :)

Head Unit: Clarion DXZ385USB | Tweets: Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator | Mids: Peerless 835004 SDS 6-1/2 | Speaker Amp: Sundown SAX 50.4 | Subs: Polk Audio MM1040 10s (135.4 db hehe) | Sub Box: 2.3 cu ft @ 32hz | Sub Amp: AQ1200D

i have to use all 510 watts unless i sell the amp... 510 watts is the 4 ohm rating, its the lowest wattage i can use with the amp.

yes ive heard fi q, fi ssd, dc lvl 3, lvl 4, its all loud and not GREAT sq. its average. even the fi q, its not a sq sub at all imo. i could not tell the difference between it and my ssd besides the q handling more power.

when i say i want sq, i want xbl2 motor, shiva-x, si mag, AE AV subs with the lambada motor. but they dont make 8s, so im trying to fit a 10 or 12 single sub

just because i say i want sq doesnt mean i want a 50 watt 8" sub and thats enough bass for me.

does telling u that i have X model polk subs tell u anything about what i want? no cuz i bought them to try and fit them behind the seat, i didnt buy them because they are mass spl subs, or top sq subs. they were just thin and cheap.

how does knowing my front stage tell u what i want sub wise? it dont at all, because u can read what i have and say oh a single 10 300 watts is fine for that, but what if i want a 12 off 500 watts?

Edited by cruzer23

Head Unit: Clarion DXZ385USB | Tweets: Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator | Mids: Peerless 835004 SDS 6-1/2 | Speaker Amp: Sundown SAX 50.4 | Subs: Polk Audio MM1040 10s (135.4 db hehe) | Sub Box: 2.3 cu ft @ 32hz | Sub Amp: AQ1200D

i have to use all 510 watts unless i sell the amp... 510 watts is the 4 ohm rating, its the lowest wattage i can use with the amp.

yes ive heard fi q, fi ssd, dc lvl 3, lvl 4, its all loud and not GREAT sq. its average. even the fi q, its not a sq sub at all imo. i could not tell the difference between it and my ssd besides the q handling more power.

when i say i want sq, i want xbl2 motor, shiva-x, si mag, AE AV subs with the lambada motor. but they dont make 8s, so im trying to fit a 10 or 12 single sub

just because i say i want sq doesnt mean i want a 50 watt 8" sub and thats enough bass for me.

does telling u that i have X model polk subs tell u anything about what i want? no cuz i bought them to try and fit them behind the seat, i didnt buy them because they are mass spl subs, or top sq subs. they were just thin and cheap.

how does knowing my front stage tell u what i want sub wise? it dont at all, because u can read what i have and say oh a single 10 300 watts is fine for that, but what if i want a 12 off 500 watts?

510watts at 4ohms, lower the gain on the amp and it'll produce less power. :ughdunno:

Would the idea of putting a small enclosure behind the center console work for you? Just disconnect the wires and pull it out when you need to carry 3 people, otherwise you can carry 2.

It would be simple, fast to take in and out, and you wouldn't have to mess with your center console.

Well normally if someone buys xxx drivers with xxx enclosure and likes the sq or spl, then it gives one an idea of what sq or loudness is to them. SQ and SPL are all relative to the person, so knowing what you have used/listened helps us judge what your interpretation of sq or spl really is.

You could have a real shit front stage and be jumping up and down that you want sq subs when in fact any decent spl sub would sound great and be loud enough for you.

Or we could judge off your front stage what you've done and it gives us an idea of what you enjoy and deem sq.

Comparing a 10" driver with 300watts or a 12" with 500watts is plain stupid, it doesn't mean anything. You and I both know a lot more comes into play for finding either SQ or SPL then just power or cone area.

I kinda get the feeling you don't want my input :ughdunno:

510watts at 4ohms, lower the gain on the amp and it'll produce less power. :ughdunno:

Would the idea of putting a small enclosure behind the center console work for you? Just disconnect the wires and pull it out when you need to carry 3 people, otherwise you can carry 2.

It would be simple, fast to take in and out, and you wouldn't have to mess with your center console.

any amp wont do its rated power 99% of the time on music regardless of gain levels.

i dont know, i dont see how SQ, and "&quot;SQL&quot;" are dependant. u can tell me ur fi q is a great SQ sub, but when its design proves otherwise, it falls into the "&quot;SQL&quot;" category. FI responded to my email when asking about the SQ of the fi Q, "its just a standard motor".

yet when u read about the xbl2 motor, or the lambada motor, u can see its in a different league than the fi q

i would love to do the single sub behind the console, but it would again have to be an 8" sub unless someone can explain how to fit a 10 or 12. its only 9" wide in every way u look at it, firing up, down, left, right, etc.

any amp wont do its rated power 99% of the time on music regardless of gain levels.

i dont know, i dont see how SQ, and "SQL" are dependant. u can tell me ur fi q is a great SQ sub, but when its design proves otherwise, it falls into the "SQL" category. FI responded to my email when asking about the SQ of the fi Q, "its just a standard motor".

yet when u read about the xbl2 motor, or the lambada motor, u can see its in a different league than the fi q

i would love to do the single sub behind the console, but it would again have to be an 8" sub unless someone can explain how to fit a 10 or 12. its only 9" wide in every way u look at it, firing up, down, left, right, etc.

I perfectly understand your thoughts about Fi if that's their response to you. And if it doesn't sound good enough for you then obviously don't buy it.

Sorry about the back being all messy, hopefully you can still tell what I'm getting at:

dsc0001v.jpg

dsc0002uu.jpg

So even if the box was directly behind the center console and stuck out a little on the sides, you couldn't manage a 10 1/2" - 11" width for a 10" driver?

Sorry if I sound pushy on fitting a 10", just seems odd that you can't fit it behind the center console, considering the space is open, I don't see why your limited to 9" in width.

wire to 8 ohms? Subs in the floor? Raise the rear seat? Behind rear seat (cut into the bed)?

How strong are your fabrication skills, and how much or what would you be will to modify in the vehicle in order to fit some subwoofers?

If you don't want to squeeze something behind the center console, I'm thinking shallow subs in unorthodox locations might work. But it would take some modification and someone with great craftsmanship skills to pull it off.

I would unassemble the glovebox and build a sealed enclosure for a Focal 21 WX Be. But looking at your last substage choice and location I would guess you just want something to sound good and not really "SQ"

Why couldn't you run the sub firing up tilted to one side? And make the bottom of the box whatever size will fit between the seat and console? Maybe one sub that sits in the middle of the back seat. That you take out when hauling five people?

You say you want "SQ". Then you say you want it loud.

Well, which do you want.

I wondered the same thing.

Do any of u know what a SI MAG is, or the SHIVA-X, or an AE AV is? they are all 1000 watt rms subs that will sound better than an icon, or fi q. they will have lower distortion than either of those subs.

so if u wanna call it, i want loud with the lowest distortion possible, fine.

here is what i came up with to fit behind the center console, but the problem is, its only 8.5" from the back of the console, to the front of the back seat. now u take away 1.5" for 3/4 wood, how, oh how can i fit a 10" sub?

subbox.jpg

Distortion is not your problem, it's the person that is controling the volume knob that is the problem. If you take any driver on the market and keep it below xmax you will be below 10% distortion and you will not be able to tell what name brand driver it is, to a certain extent. Yes of course some will be cleaner at louder levels because they have a higher rated xmax, which by definition is 10% THD. You first need to decide how loud you want to get. Then choose what setup will fit that goal while under xmax ratings. Another thing you need to consider is your install skills. Anything is possible. Are you willing to modifiy the truck for bass?

Distortion is not your problem, it's the person that is controling the volume knob that is the problem. If you take any driver on the market and keep it below xmax you will be below 10% distortion and you will not be able to tell what name brand driver it is, to a certain extent. Yes of course some will be cleaner at louder levels because they have a higher rated xmax, which by definition is 10% THD. You first need to decide how loud you want to get. Then choose what setup will fit that goal while under xmax ratings. Another thing you need to consider is your install skills. Anything is possible. Are you willing to modifiy the truck for bass?

if thats true, why was the xbl2 motor made, lambada motor, why would ANYONE put time, money, or effort into reducing distortion if u cant hear it anyways?

You can not school me on xbl^2 technology. Look at my forum, I am working with ADI at the moment building several lines. If you can expand my knowledge of xbl technology more than the man who invented it, the same person I have been working with over the past two years, be my guest.

The point I was making is if you keep whatever sub you buy BELOW XMAX which is defined by 10 percent total harmonic distortion you will not have distortion. Does this mean sub A will be as loud as sub B. NO. But they will have the same amount of distortion or lack there of because that is what XMAX means.

And there is no way a Shiva will take 1000 rms. The Pmax on that sub is 1000 watts, which I doubt you know is the thermal rating. That sub only needs 400- 500 watts in a proper enclosure with a QTC of .7 to reach xmax. If you put 1000 watts on that sub in a proper ported enclosure it would sound like complete arseho because the spider would be slamming into the topplate.

Im not trying to "school" you on the xbl2 technology, clam down...

so an xbl2 sub under its xmax, vs a sundown, fi, ssa sub under xmax, there is no difference in SQ or distortion?

Why waste money on the xbl2 motor then? why not keep it simple and use a standard motor?

and as far as the shiva goes, i was just refering to its rating, thats the only rating they give. it doesnt say give it 500 rms, it just says its thermal abilities.

however if u want to get technical, here is what is posted directly on their website, in their application pdf

"The Shiva-X2 is happy with any combination of 1-2

cubic feet for automotive applications. Fill the box with 100% polyfill (16oz. Per cubic

foot of box) and power it with 500-1500W @ 4-ohms and you will be rewarded with

incredible high-quality bass."

Would they be stupid enough to tell u that u can use up to 1500 watts, if u will destroy the sub? I hope not :o

Kid I want you to read what I write below 100x and think about it. Quit being hung up on Xbl2 style motors. Just take the suggestions, give what you have and move out. We will help you but fuck your making this shit retardedly difficult.

SOUND QUALITY AND OUTPUT IS 90% INSTALL, 5% EQUIPMENT, AND 5% BEER.

J