kstros4

2 12 ssd or 2 12 jl audo w6

i love the ssd's but i just found a great deal on some w6 and i really would like peoples honest opinion on which subs would be best in a sealed enclosure. i heard the w6 is awesome so just let me know what you guys think

Both great. whats your budget?

i can get the ssd for 360 new when they come out, and 385 for w6

Personally, I would take Fi products over JL products any day.

What are your goals?

i can get the ssd for 360 new when they come out, and 385 for w6

you sure about that?

Personally, I would take Fi products over JL products any day.

What are your goals?

X2 because you can recone and change sizes if you want

What do you want to achieve? If output is your goal, get the SSD's, if you want some of the best sound quality woofers ever designed, get the W6's.

What do you want to achieve? If output is your goal, get the SSD's, if you want some of the best sound quality woofers ever designed, get the W6's.

What actually makes the w6 sound better than the SSD? Is it the motor structure and how its designed? Ive always wondered, no mean to thread jack.

i had a w7, and now have a SSD.

I can say first if you want beat SSD is the way to go. In a sealed boxed with the right Cubes the SSD is rated for it will last and sound extremely good. My w7 was in a ported box and the band was loose in a month terribly loose it needed a recone. But JL's have a problem iv noticed in sealed boxes with burning up the voice coils. I have a friend with w3's in a sealed box and he fried 3. although im not sure if the w6 would be any better. I can tell you this the SSD will definitely have more output, and they would both probably be close in quality of sound. But it has to be in the right size box. the SSD will also hit way lower deep bass notes alot cleaner

also SSD if unique, you will have something different than just a regular over priced JL

sorry if i was harsh on JL but once again its personal prefernece

Yeah question, kinda too broad. Need to know if you want to get loud, or your going for quality. Quality-JL: loud-sad!! But I wouldn't sleep on the JL, because it can get pretty loud also, and on the other hand, the ssd can sound pretty good in a sealed box like said above. I'd personally get the FI

I i've got a pair of w6 that we're old that I have put new surrounds on and they sound amazing..but if u want something that has a little more thump id go with the ssd. But like said above they do have some amazing sound quality.

Never heard any jl products but my exp with fi is amazing i love my bl's and plan on getting another pair of fi subs.

Never heard any jl products but my exp with fi is amazing i love my bl's and plan on getting another pair of fi subs.

I say get 2 SSD's. I have a single SSD 12 and it sounds amazing and gets extremely loud. And JL is way to overpriced.

By no means will the SSD sound bad though. :D

I can say first if you want beat SSD is the way to go. In a sealed boxed with the right Cubes the SSD is rated for it will last and sound extremely good. My w7 was in a ported box and the band was loose in a month terribly loose it needed a recone. But JL's have a problem iv noticed in sealed boxes with burning up the voice coils. I have a friend with w3's in a sealed box and he fried 3. although im not sure if the w6 would be any better. I can tell you this the SSD will definitely have more output, and they would both probably be close in quality of sound. But it has to be in the right size box. the SSD will also hit way lower deep bass notes alot cleaner

also SSD if unique, you will have something different than just a regular over priced JL

What you've noticed is that the people you know don't know how to build a box for a JL. 100% operator/installer error, don't blame the subs for that. The w6 is a GREAT driver. Personally I'd much rather have them than the SSD's, but the OP's goals may (and most likely are) be different from mine.

I say get 2 SSD's. I have a single SSD 12 and it sounds amazing and gets extremely loud. And JL is way to overpriced.

In this case your argument is backwards. Overpriced should relate to cost of ownership. Buy the SSD's at $360 and sell in 3 years and compute your loss, then do that with 2 JL W6's for $385 and I guarantee financially the W6's will be cheaper to own.

But again, these answers are STILL UNRELATED to the OP's goals which he hasn't shared yet. Perhaps the whole idea of a sealed enclosure is even wrong for him. Throwing up useless subjective opinions is not helping him come to the right conclusion, but for that we need more information. OP please give us some goal related info, car info, other equipment you have and so on. Then we can help you decide.

What you've noticed is that the people you know don't know how to build a box for a JL. 100% operator/installer error, don't blame the subs for that. The w6 is a GREAT driver. Personally I'd much rather have them than the SSD's, but the OP's goals may (and most likely are) be different from mine.

In this case your argument is backwards. Overpriced should relate to cost of ownership. Buy the SSD's at $360 and sell in 3 years and compute your loss, then do that with 2 JL W6's for $385 and I guarantee financially the W6's will be cheaper to own.

But again, these answers are STILL UNRELATED to the OP's goals which he hasn't shared yet. Perhaps the whole idea of a sealed enclosure is even wrong for him. Throwing up useless subjective opinions is not helping him come to the right conclusion, but for that we need more information. OP please give us some goal related info, car info, other equipment you have and so on. Then we can help you decide.

I was just stating my honest opinion, which he asked for.

ummm, why would i ever put my W7 in a box not correctly built and tuned for it? it sounded great, but my SSD 15 was louder and had just as much SQ. so no i didnt notice people not knowing how to build a box. i build for me and plenty of other people. He asked for an opion in this case Id had a w7 and SSD so i was comparing them both.

Then your subjective opinion of SQ is skewed.

And in no way whatsoever is that a slam on the SSD. It is a great driver.

Then your subjective opinion of SQ is skewed.

iv heard plenty good sounding Jl's and Fi's, they are both amazing drivers when it comes to SQ in sealed enclosure. just from the past experience of my W7 and how broken in it gets, and my friend with his w3's i just rather SSD that is all i meant by it. If i had to go anywhere beside fi it would be sundown then JL they do make amazing drivers i just find Fi has a bit more to offer when it comes to Loudness without the sacrifice of SQ.

Iv stated my honest opinion about the matter he was asking. It may have been in favor of Fi and explain why, unlike others that just put Fi and have never owned or hear JL before.

its an opinion, they got people out there who swear kicker makes the best and loudest sub woofers in the world and that's there mind set..... you cant argue with them its an opinion

I have one Fi SSD 15" and I can't complain. Been bumping it for around a year now on a little more than rated without even breaking a sweat. Quality is great, lows are killer (in a lower tuned box of course). Plus Fi is cheaper ;)

Good luck on your decision. Research research research! :fing34:

its an opinion, they got people out there who swear kicker makes the best and loudest sub woofers in the world and that's there mind set..... you cant argue with them its an opinion

Didn't say your opinion was wrong, just skewed that is all :fing34:

Although we still don't know the goals of the OP... I'd like to ask why is he putting an SSD up against a W6 ?

Personally I've played with hundreds of W6 in ALL kinds of enclosures.

It would be a better comparison to Fi Q series....

Just my 2 cents

I don't know how people are frying JL subs. i've had w0s, w3s, w6 sealed, and recently a w7. the 0-6 were all powered off a 500/1 and the w7 powered off a 1000/1. never once had any issues. i loved the sound of my w6 in a sealed box. it was very precise in its punch. i have never heard an ssd. the only FI i have heard are an 18 btl which was ungodly loud and a ported q which was pretty accurate and loud also but, again they were ported.

Personally, i say JL. buy it for 380 and in 4 years you can still sell it for $200 bucks no problem. i bought mine used for 200 and sold it a year later for 240 with box. idk how FI sells being used.