An-i-no

Shop Owners/Employees, what's up?!

Ok, here's the story. I shop (window shop mostly) online 99% of the time on sites like Sonic, Audiosavings, and Ebay, so I found it refreshing to go visit a couple of real audio stores in my area so that I could actually see amps in person, listen to speakers, and tie some hyperflex in a knot. While I did have fun in the listening room and lookin over products the guys that worked at both places SUCKED. (Jack's Stereo and Schroeder's Audio in Waco, TX)

First of all, I went to Schroeder's to look at some HAT Imagines as they were on the dealer list. The guy said he only had Clarus's in stock and that I could see them so I went ahead and did. So as we leave the listening room (which was non-functional and dark as hell) he drops the box in my arms to let me see how heavy they are and says "these are NO JOKE" as if I don't know what I'm dealing with. Then he asks what my system will be, so I told him "2 Sundown Audio SA-12's on 1200 watts." He asks what impedance I will run them at, so I say Dual 4 wired to 1 and he goes "ONE OHM??!??!" as if the entire system would melt from it. So then he recommends a Polk 600.1 for both and tells me that, and I quote, "there's a common misconception that the power MAGICALLY splits when you run two subs. No bro, the amp will push 600 watts to both speakers because it's a SIX HUNDRED WATT AMP." So I nod through his little bs speech and gtfo there. I can understand him trying to simplify things because I seemed rookie-ish but that info was flat out WRONG. Oh and he quoted me 300 bucks for a box built to specs for 2 SA-12's. He said "We will actually CALL the manufacturer and ask for the specs" as if I couldn't pick up the damn phone and do that too, but whatever :suicide-santa: .

Jack's was actually not that bad but the guy behind the desk kept trying to sell us Type S stuff claiming that it was just as good as Type R and that Alpine was the best. So when I asked why they even stock type R stuff if S is just as good and he said that Type R's were their bestseller. :ehh:

Some shops know what they are talking about, while most of the others are a comical relief.

i have had nothing but bad experiences with local shops myself. They always act like your stupid and the prices on things are OUTRAGEOUS!. other day i needed a power block badly, i went to a local store.. damn guy charged me $30 for a soundquest distribution block! i come home after i bought the damn thing and find it for $10 on darvex. i guess its how they make there money but damn it seems messed up

That is standard fare in current car audio shops. Lying, misconstruing or flat out wrong information pushing to force sub-par over priced product on people has become the normal song and dance.

i have had nothing but bad experiences with local shops myself. They always act like your stupid and the prices on things are OUTRAGEOUS!. other day i needed a power block badly, i went to a local store.. damn guy charged me $30 for a soundquest distribution block! i come home after i bought the damn thing and find it for $10 on darvex. i guess its how they make there money but damn it seems messed up

It's messed up that a shop who's in business to make money sells a product for enough of a profit to actually stay in business and make money? You paid the guy $20 over internet prices (which are probably pretty close to if not less than his dealer cost on the product). His rent is probably a couple grand, plus utilities, employee payroll and benefit expenses, inventory carrying costs, taxes, etc etc etc. So you made a $20 dent in his $10,000+ monthly expenses, not including room for actual profit margin so he can actually feed his family.....and he's ripping you off? More than likely the guy isn't rolling to the bank in his brand new Mercedes laughing all the while that he just stuck it up your ass without atleast lubing first.....more than likely he's just thankful for every week he can actually stay in business and doesn't have to close his doors. The more sales dealers lose due to the internet market, the more of a profit they have to make on the product that does sell to simply maintain the business.

For everyday little products like that I usually buy local, knowing full well it's costing me a little extra but I'm glad to give my business locally when I can.

to each his own. my unemployed ass will shop for the best deal i can, dont give a damn how his business goes, he's a prick and he sells garbage. Infact all local shops HERE are worthless if you ask me. never had a good experience with any of them, if its not there expensive ass prices its them trying to convince me i should get a kenwood or pioneer sub to sound good. They dont seem to care about anyone else other than themselves. At the end of the day they couldnt give less of a shit about making there customers happy its them trying to sell there shit at any cost.

It's messed up that a shop who's in business to make money sells a product for enough of a profit to actually stay in business and make money? You paid the guy $20 over internet prices (which are probably pretty close to if not less than his dealer cost on the product). His rent is probably a couple grand, plus utilities, employee payroll and benefit expenses, inventory carrying costs, taxes, etc etc etc. So you made a $20 dent in his $10,000+ monthly expenses, not including room for actual profit margin so he can actually feed his family.....and he's ripping you off? More than likely the guy isn't rolling to the bank in his brand new Mercedes laughing all the while that he just stuck it up your ass without atleast lubing first.....more than likely he's just thankful for every week he can actually stay in business and doesn't have to close his doors. The more sales dealers lose due to the internet market, the more of a profit they have to make on the product that does sell to simply maintain the business.

For everyday little products like that I usually buy local, knowing full well it's costing me a little extra but I'm glad to give my business locally when I can.

Your right, its a hummer

Depends where you go. I worked at a great shop and they have been in business for 30+ years and 20+ in just car audio. Not all shops are as good as others. There is actually quite a few good shops within 50 miles of where I live(at least 5). All quality shops with good installers, good products, and good service.

I buy local when I can. I'd rather stick money back into my community.

I love it when people buy stuff online then bring it to the shops so they can pro install it then their awsome deal they got online stops working or frys and try to blame the shop for the crap they bought online in the first place,Also everybody and their moms are trying to do 1 ohm systems trying to get 1000 watts out of their 600.1 @ 1ohm amps, why not just spend some $ and get a 1000 watt @ 2 ohm amp and be happy that your equipment will last 10+ years instead of maybe 1 year @ 1 ohm, some guys would rather save those 20 bucks id rather not.

Edited by shaker

I will agree that the prices are outrageous. I do understand that they need the extra bucks to stay in business but it gets ridiculous sometimes. For example, I needed to pick around 50 ft of 1/0 gauge so I thought I would take a ride to avenue sound. Just for your knowledge, avenue sound has more than one shop here on long island so theyre not exactly struggling compared to your averga elocal shop. I get there and proceed to tell the man at the counter that I need 50ft of 1/0 for around 150 bucks. Soon after, he calls me back to the desk and tells me that he can sell me kicker 1/0 gauge cable for $8/ft , making my total $400 :WTFBubble: . I proceeded to leave the shop and he calls me back to tell me that he can get the price down to $6.50/ft just for me. Ticked off, I told him about Knu who sells quality 1/0 gauge for around $3.50 a foot. Then, as if I am completely ignorant, he begins to tell me that it is so cheap because it is not true 1/0 gauge and that Knu is skimping on their cable. Not for nothing, it would behoove of car audio shops to be straight up with their customers. I cant speak for everyone but I am way more likely to give a shop business if the employees are straight up rather than condescending con artists.

There's a lot to be said for buying from a local dealer. You have a problem with it, you take it back, might even get a new product swap right then. From an unauthorized internet dealer, you might be screwed all together or best case scenario you pay shipping and wait a couple weeks to get it back. If you need it professionally installed, they'll take better care of you and possibly discount labor for buying product from them. Price of equipment wise, there is soooooo much crap out there because the market was driven that way by people who won't buy anything locally unless it's stupid cheap which drives away the market for good equipment. Back in the day people were proud to pay $1/watt for amps.

Are there good dealers and bad dealers? Absolutely. They get that way because they'll hire anybody who can stand there and talk, because the truely capable people want more money which they can't get because distributors are selling product for less than THEIR cost. You can't get quality people without making money. 4 shops here have gone under because of ebay. A friend of mine dropped Kicker because he couldn't sell it because of internet pricing. The only remaining shop anywhere near me worth a damn is still around because they only carry mid and high end product, do VERY good work, and take care of their customers. You won't find cheap anything there, but they deliver a premium you can't get from the internet.

I'll buy local if I am in a pinch, or if they have a good deal. Other than that its online for me.

I don't object to the markup beacuse at the end of the day the bottom line is making a profit, and if anyone understands that I certainly do.

The other thing is, if you frequent a local store often and get to know the people there, they will often knock some off the prices, and help you get more bang for your buck.

J

There's only a few shops around here, but they are all pretty good. Guys that know their stuff and are extremely friendly, and help you out as much as they can.

See, here in Metro Detroit we have a few audio shops. Obviously we have the Best Buys and used to have Circuit City as the huge chain stores, then there is Mickey Shorr which is all trying to sell MTX, Hifonics, Kenwood and so forth but jacking the prices up and telling you you're an idiot if you don't buy their Rockford Fosgate Prime Series amps.....

Then there is Cartunes. i go to the one in roseville and have for 5 years now. because i buy stuff consistently from them and turn my friends in their direction, i walk out the door with them still turning profit but also with me getting better deals than anywhere else AND.... warranty. 4 year old JL Audio 300/2 was warrantied by them no questions asked and fixed for free (for me at least) and i got a loaner amp from them..... Yeah, i have dropped a lot of money into their store as have my friends and family, but they take care of us so i will happily buy from them.... Except wiring, that i buy online. Cartunes carries JL Audio wiring and its expensive no matter what

I will agree that the prices are outrageous. I do understand that they need the extra bucks to stay in business but it gets ridiculous sometimes. For example, I needed to pick around 50 ft of 1/0 gauge so I thought I would take a ride to avenue sound. Just for your knowledge, avenue sound has more than one shop here on long island so theyre not exactly struggling compared to your averga elocal shop. I get there and proceed to tell the man at the counter that I need 50ft of 1/0 for around 150 bucks. Soon after, he calls me back to the desk and tells me that he can sell me kicker 1/0 gauge cable for $8/ft , making my total $400 :WTFBubble: . I proceeded to leave the shop and he calls me back to tell me that he can get the price down to $6.50/ft just for me. Ticked off, I told him about Knu who sells quality 1/0 gauge for around $3.50 a foot. Then, as if I am completely ignorant, he begins to tell me that it is so cheap because it is not true 1/0 gauge and that Knu is skimping on their cable. Not for nothing, it would behoove of car audio shops to be straight up with their customers. I cant speak for everyone but I am way more likely to give a shop business if the employees are straight up rather than condescending con artists.

Been there before. Well, the one on West Sunrise.

When i put in my headunit, the metra kit broke. I bought it for $13 + shipping on sonicelectronix. What did avenue sound want for it? $65 smh.

I feel your pain... I went in a shop the other day too get 4 yards of carpet the guy asks why i need that much.. Well i have an 8cu/ft box and he proceeds to tell me that's crazy and i need to change something. I ignore the guy and pay 38bucks for carpet OUCH. The man then asks me what kinda numbers i put up i respond 148 on music (thats with my x-cons) and of course he says that's nothing i can do a 148 with a w7 10 on music. Anyways as i was walking out the door this ignorant bastard tells me to come to his next show and put my money where my mouth is. Seriously i just bought something from you and you have the balls to say shit like that. Im sorry but its people like that, that ruin audio shops.

It's cool that you want to support local business. But when those businesses are taking money from you, lying to you, and doing poor quality jobs. I will not pay more money for them. Why would i pay MORE for LESS, that doesn't make sense. I am here in the Tempe, Arizona scene and here we have pretty sleezy guys. I have been to two of the "top" names in car stereo. Audio express and Sounds good to me.

My first experience at Audio express was when i was 16 and had my Honda Accord freshly bought and i was hungry for a system. Not knowing what to get i walked into Audio Express with my dad and 500 dollars on my card from working at Harkins Theaters that summer. I was pretty excited when i walked in to hear bass and saw that the listening room was right there. I listened to the different woofers but before i had left with my dad to get to audio express i had been looking online and had been thinking about either getting Alpine type R's or Rockford P3's, 12 inch ones. The prices straight from Rockford were expensive so i thought by going to a local audio store i could get them for less. After a while we were approched by a guy who worked at Audio Express and we talked for a few moments. Me and my dad started talking to him about what i wanted and what i had in mind. I told him that i wanted to be loud with my bass and maybe rattle some windows. He explained to me that with my budget there was no way that i would be able to get 2 P3's and a high end enough of an amp to get it. Dissapointed and a bit shocked i looked over on one of the shelves and saw a 1000 watt kenwood amp on sale. I asked him if i got that, wouldn't it push 2 Rockford P3's. He told me that the amp would only be able to push 1 P3 and that i could try to push 2 P3's but in the end i would just blow them out. He then explained to me that there was managers special going on and that for only $500 (humm.) that i could get 2 12 inch kenwood's and a 1000 kenwood amp. I told him i would talk to my dad about it. In talking to my dad he explained that maybe i should wait and see if i could get a better deal somewhere else. I tried to ask the guy from Audio Express if i could come back later that week or have sometime to think about it. He told me that the sale was ending in 2 more days. So i ended up buying it. About a year later (2 months ago) my friend had my first amp that i bought from him. I bought warranty on my amp and subs. The amp had not been able to turn on for some reason, and after looking at it I knew that it was something wrong with the actual, not fuses. I tried to get it replaced and he told me that because they don't sell that model anymore, they wouldn't give me a new replacement amp, but that i could get my warranty money back but only half ($10). They also installed my remote start and viper alarm system, i have taken it in 5 times and each time it just breaks again.

There is way more to all of this but seeing my story, as long as it is, i think i won't type up anymore because i know you guys don't like to read... lol.

Long story short, Local business just try to rip people off and pretend that they are the only solution. Screw that, lets go online.

EDIT: P.S. I looked online awhile back and saw i could buy (and ended up buying them for a friend) those subs for 50 each and the amp for 100 dollars. Hum, so i spent 350 more then i needed to. Awesome.

Edited by DarkTinman

I feel your pain... I went in a shop the other day too get 4 yards of carpet the guy asks why i need that much.. Well i have an 8cu/ft box and he proceeds to tell me that's crazy and i need to change something. I ignore the guy and pay 38bucks for carpet OUCH. The man then asks me what kinda numbers i put up i respond 148 on music (thats with my x-cons) and of course he says that's nothing i can do a 148 with a w7 10 on music. Anyways as i was walking out the door this ignorant bastard tells me to come to his next show and put my money where my mouth is. Seriously i just bought something from you and you have the balls to say shit like that. Im sorry but its people like that, that ruin audio shops.

Wow.

That's when you tell'm you can do a 194.094db on a 30hz sine wave. :D

Tell me about it i was shocked. Needless to say ill stick with the other shop i usually use they have decent prices and don't harass me. On a side note i needed some temporary door speakers and was quoted 250 for Phoenix Gold RSD components at another bullshit shop. I figure i can get the for 60 online but hell id pay 80-90 since i was in a pinch. damn was i mistaken.

Are you going to show him up? lol

I plan to make the man tap out. If not watch his face cringe. =P Never herd of BTLs and his idea of an spl sub is a W7 hes in for a rude awakening.

I plan to make the man tap out. If not watch his face cringe. =P Never herd of BTLs and his idea of an spl sub is a W7 hes in for a rude awakening.

Fuck Yes!

Very nice haha be sure to make a video of his reaction. i want to see it, for sure. :popcorn:

Very nice haha be sure to make a video of his reaction. i want to see it, for sure. :popcorn:

Hellll yeaa man :drink40: