An-i-no

Shop Owners/Employees, what's up?!

If everyone knew how much mark up is on the food Walmart imports from china and Mexico everyone would grow their own food.

One of the local shops here (Aspen Sound) really isn't bad. I can go in there and bullshit with them. They are pretty knowledgable and don't ever try to sell me anything. I even talked the manager into selling me an alpine PDX-4.100 for $200 (their price was $650). I didn't even have to try very hard. I didn't end up getting it though because our best buy had them closing out for $150 :dancing:

So ya I suppose it just depends on the shops around you.

All i got to say is i work hard for my money and i havent had one thing go bad online with my electronics!! Get good quality stuff in the first place wont have to worry about problems in the future and 1ohm wont kill your system specially for daily since you will never see 1ohm out of your amp with ohm rise in your box.

I love it when people buy stuff online then bring it to the shops so they can pro install it then their awsome deal they got online stops working or frys and try to blame the shop for the crap they bought online in the first place,Also everybody and their moms are trying to do 1 ohm systems trying to get 1000 watts out of their 600.1 @ 1ohm amps, why not just spend some $ and get a 1000 watt @ 2 ohm amp and be happy that your equipment will last 10+ years instead of maybe 1 year @ 1 ohm, some guys would rather save those 20 bucks id rather not.

:ughdunno:

Assuming everything sold online is crap? I don't know where you got the idea that running at 1 ohm is bad. What you wire your subs to wont determine how long they will last. What does hurt your equipment is when your electrical cant support a lower resistance, which sends a low voltage to the amps and causes all sorts of problems for everything in line. So having your amp wired at 1 ohm wont cause damage, it's when people push their electrical too hard (assuming the amp is rated for the resistance used, and tuned correctly).

I've got my subs at .5 ohm, and everything has worked fine for the last couple months. You just have to know when too much is too much for your specific application.

To go off of that i had my first system put in by the local shop. The amp lasted about a month or 2 because the shop had the gain to the max and the bass boost turned up. I had no idea about any of this and expected that they did (obviously not). It wasn't the equipment's fault, but my ignorance and the installer's. When you pay them good money (i think it was close to 175 to install deck, wires, and subs/amp) they should be able to tune the amp correctly. After that i bought an amp online for a deal, and when i did have a problem with it they swapped me a new one no questions asked. I was happy, and learned something.

It all depends on which shop you frequent and the sites you go to. Either place can screw you over, or give you great CS.

That shop also tried to sell me 35$ Streetwires rca when i asked for their cheapest RCA cable. They don't deal with "crap wire". Like it really matters with RCAs lol

Lol I have an update. Same shop.

My buddy and I were having trouble putting his double din in and we called the guy to see how much. First he says it's more for a double din (lol I guess cuz it's heavier and he has to work harder to lift it in right?) and then he says his computer says that my buddies 03 Impala doesn't have a factory amped system, even though I can open his trunk and look at it, and even see the speaker wire going into the rear 6x9's lol. I don't understand how the guy gets any business? Aside from ripping people off of course.

My buddy and I were having trouble putting his double din in and we called the guy to see how much. First he says it's more for a double din (lol I guess cuz it's heavier and he has to work harder to lift it in right?) and then he says his computer says that my buddies 03 Impala doesn't have a factory amped system, even though I can open his trunk and look at it, and even see the speaker wire going into the rear 6x9's lol. I don't understand how the guy gets any business? Aside from ripping people off of course.

I'm shocked! You should open a car audio shop and compete against them. :trippy:

I'm shocked! You should open a car audio shop and compete against them. :trippy:

Lol he has a major Polk boner (not that it's a bad brand or anything, if you like Polk, more power to ya) and he wants me to come back and demo the HAT Clarus set but...their sound room was...raggedy n a sumbitch (if you saw it you'd know that's the perfect description, trust me). The light was hanging from the ceiling and there were more holes in the mdf than there were speakers. Maybe they were fixing it up but damn, close the door next time.

Lol he has a major Polk boner (not that it's a bad brand or anything, if you like Polk, more power to ya) and he wants me to come back and demo the HAT Clarus set but...their sound room was...raggedy n a sumbitch (if you saw it you'd know that's the perfect description, trust me). The light was hanging from the ceiling and there were more holes in the mdf than there were speakers. Maybe they were fixing it up but damn, close the door next time.

Sad to hear.

Eh they hire MECP certified people who can pass an open book test. Whoo fucking hoo.

I may not be able to do an alarm and/or remote start but I guarentee I can sell circles around more 'car audio shop' salesmen.

I love it when even years they still don't look to the internet to see what other brands might be a better choice than the 'main stream' shit they sell.

J

Eh they hire MECP certified people who can pass an open book test. Whoo fucking hoo.

I may not be able to do an alarm and/or remote start but I guarentee I can sell circles around more 'car audio shop' salesmen.

I love it when even years they still don't look to the internet to see what other brands might be a better choice than the 'main stream' shit they sell.

J

Last box I had built I decided to have it built locally since shipping would rape me. Told the guy I wanted 45s in the corners, double baffle, dowel bracing, and binding posts not a plastic terminal cup.

He said he had something better then those terminals and blah blah blah. I come back a few days later, no 45s in the corners, no dowel bracing, and a big fucking plastic terminal cup screwed in with silicone all over. You could tell he didn't even predrill for when he screwed the terminal in, wood was splitting. After a couple weeks of playing, rear panel on box started to flex inward and outward. Total shit.

He was mecp certified.

Oh and I gave him a demo the next day, he said "damn this has to be at least 150db." I was like nah more like low 140s.

Went to a show a month later, did a 143 lol.

I hate the local shops in Houston..

A majority, if not all hardly know anything.

I went to about 3 asking if they had any 1 ohm stable amps, and only 1 of them actually had a 1 ohm stable amp. How much was it? Like, 1200$ for only.. about 1500 watts IIRC.

I could get a SAX-1200D for that price, and then some!

Each asked what I had in the back of the 4Runner, told them my 18" Q in a 8.8 Cubic Foot box tuned to 29HZ.

1 Employee at one shop looked at me and actually knew what FI was! I was astounded because his coworker was a total dick to me.

I let them have a look and a listen, they had smiles on their faces knowing it was only 500 watts.

Awesome..

Edited by ManRossDamn

Well here in tampa every one and there mom has a system the shops here rip you off and yes are rude and think you know nothing but they do very very well this shit shop down the road the owner drives a brand new jag with wheels and a system in it he does "other things" there the shop but no shop around my area is hurting and is lol all the way to the bank. I buy my stuff online and then have them install it just cuz I'm lazy and I get a deal cuz my buddy does work on the owners CARS