jst

Sundown SA12 vs Skar 12

We are looking at purchasing a new pair of subs for my kids Honda.We were set on the Sundowns until I saw the Skars.Are the Sundowns worth the extra money?The current box is 4 cu ft tuned to 35hz.Power is a AP1800.1D at 2 ohms.Please speak from experience.

The skars are brand new, so few people have them. But from everything I've read and heard, the skars are almost identical to the sa12s.

What do you have for subs now? What are your goals?

My son is currently running 2 Pioneer 12s in a 4'cu ft box tuned at 35hz.Goals.....he wants everyone to go "wow".I say....hair trick....but we need more cone area for that.Will there be a big difference from the Pionner subs to either of the sa12s or Skar 12s?

My son is currently running 2 Pioneer 12s in a 4'cu ft box tuned at 35hz.Goals.....he wants everyone to go "wow".I say....hair trick....but we need more cone area for that.Will there be a big difference from the Pionner subs to either of the sa12s or Skar 12s?

Not to be a dick, but the last time I checked pioneer made more then one model.

Is that ap1800 amp 1ohm stable? Willing to upgrade electrical? Extra battery at the least

Is that ap1800 amp 1ohm stable? Willing to upgrade electrical? Extra battery at the least

Pioneer subs came from Walmart....TS-W303R.....no offense taken.Yes amp is 1 ohm stable.I want to make sure that I am able to run the SA12s or Skars @ 1 ohm to use all available power.

I figured we were gonna have to do a extra battery.Will 4 gauge power and ground be enough?

But from everything I've read and heard, the skars are almost identical to the sa12s.

Skar 12 has a much lower Fs, lower motor force, triple stack vs double stack, different inductance, looser suspension, and isn't as loud. So no, they aren't "almost identical".

i have used both sa-12's and now i use skar 12's they are both great subs i love sundown and still run them in my other cars. the skars sound just as loud as the sa-12's but either way u cant lose

Pioneer subs came from Walmart....TS-W303R.....no offense taken.Yes amp is 1 ohm stable.I want to make sure that I am able to run the SA12s or Skars @ 1 ohm to use all available power.

I figured we were gonna have to do a extra battery.Will 4 gauge power and ground be enough?

Either the sa12 or skars will be a big upgrade from those pioneers. The sa12s should be fine on that amp at 1ohm. Depending on the extra battery and how long it'll be playing at full tilt, you should be fine without a h/o alt.

4gauge isn't going to cut it unfortunately, order some 0/1 welding wire from weldingsupply.com or any 0/1 gauge car audio wire if you want to spend more :P

But from everything I've read and heard, the skars are almost identical to the sa12s.

Skar 12 has a much lower Fs, lower motor force, triple stack vs double stack, different inductance, looser suspension, and isn't as loud. So no, they aren't "almost identical".

Then I've heard wrong, good thing you posted.

We are looking at purchasing a new pair of subs for my kids Honda.We were set on the Sundowns until I saw the Skars.Are the Sundowns worth the extra money?The current box is 4 cu ft tuned to 35hz.Power is a AP1800.1D at 2 ohms.Please speak from experience.

Id pay the extra money for the sundown over the skars. Sundown has much better customer service and will care about their customers. Plus sundown is a proven company. The customer service from Skar is horrible.

Edited by SomeDonnieDude

Wouldnt the amount of voltage you get depend on how much power you get from the amp? a lot of amps are different. My opinion i would go for sundown. But i havnt heard from skar audio before

Wouldnt the amount of voltage you get depend on how much power you get from the amp? a lot of amps are different. My opinion i would go for sundown. But i havnt heard from skar audio before

They were designed by Jacob at Sundown.

They are quite similar, not copies, more like cousins.

That doesn't necessarily make them cousins either. For legal reasons I can't mention names, but there is a big name manufacturer that has 1 line of subs designed and built by somebody else, who owns another manufacturer. If you looked at a driver from each manufacturer, you couldn't tell they were designed by the same person unless you know 2 very specific things to look for. In this case, there are some similar design methods, but that isn't always the case.

That doesn't necessarily make them cousins either. For legal reasons I can't mention names, but there is a big name manufacturer that has 1 line of subs designed and built by somebody else, who owns another manufacturer. If you looked at a driver from each manufacturer, you couldn't tell they were designed by the same person unless you know 2 very specific things to look for. In this case, there are some similar design methods, but that isn't always the case.

I believe I know who you mean, were the designs originally stolen from someone else? Lulz.

Id pay the extra money for the sundown over the skars. Sundown has much better customer service and will care about their customers. Plus sundown is a proven company. The customer service from Skar is horrible.

lol I deal with kevin all the time and he has been great

perfect customer service

Both very good drivers and both companies offer excellent customer support. The Sundown is a proven beast. A very good daily driver.

Have not had the chance to work with Skar woofers but have not a heard a negative comment yet.

If budget is an issue the Skars would be a great buy.

The Sundown I feel is a better engineered driver due to the design of the cooling and will handle more power.

As someone who has used both in the past, they are both great subwoofers. Couldn't go wrong with either as they will both be a huge improvement over what you have now. Listen to Ibanender in what the difference is between the two and go from there.

I believe I know who you mean, were the designs originally stolen from someone else? Lulz.

I bet you don't know who I mean, and I think you may be referring to DC Audio (Direct Copy Audio) who very clearly doesn't design anything and takes other companies proven designs, and fudges them to make them cost less.

perfect customer service

Both very good drivers and both companies offer excellent customer support. The Sundown is a proven beast. A very good daily driver.

Have not had the chance to work with Skar woofers but have not a heard a negative comment yet.

The Sundown I feel is a better engineered driver due to the design of the cooling and will handle more power.

Sundown offers good customer service yes. Skar audio on the other hand has one of the most crooked owners in the car audio business. Do some research about him, you will be very surprised. I didn't know anything about him until he screwed me around for a few weeks.

To the OP, go with sundown to insure you have good product support in the future.

Edited by SomeDonnieDude

perfect customer service

Sundown offers good customer service yes. Skar audio on the other hand has one of the most crooked owners in the car audio business. Do some research about him, you will be very surprised. I didn't know anything about him until he screwed me around for a few weeks.

You bought an RD used product, that was your first mistake. I have not dealt with SKAR or Kevin S. I am just going off the latest feedback off here (SSA) and have not heard 1 negative comment about the SKAR woofers. So I stand behind my comment!

I am just going off the latest feedback off here (SSA) and have not heard 1 negative comment about the SKAR woofers. So I stand behind my comment!

He definitely does not have the greatest reputation at other places...