sundownz

SA-8 v.2 Prototype Video

We've shown a few pictures of the new frame... this is the first peek at the newly tooled and designed spider. I designed this spider based on all the information gathered during testing of the v.1 model -- this is our own spider design / tool where the other two spider versions from the v.1 were simply the best readily available roll profiles.

IMO... this roll is FAR superior and should show in testing -- which will likely be coming on Friday.

One thing that should be noticed quickly is the massive reduction in mechanical noises from the new spider -- MUCH quieter all the way up until we run out of frame clearance; which I do in the video when you hear the tick sound.

These are due in the summer... likely mid June or so.

Until then we'll have the v.1 model available unless we sell out before then :)

v.2 is only for the 8" right now -- it will be some time to work on the v.2 other sizes.

ok, well done, it seems an excellent product!

(I await response to the email old) :ehh:

Looks good!

CIMG4788.JPG

* v.2 on right -- newest v.1 spider on left

CIMG4789.JPG

* v.2 on right -- newest v.1 spider on left

CIMG4790.JPG

* Original v.1 on left -- newest v.1 on right

CIMG4791.JPG

* Original v.1 on left -- v.2 on right

Deeper rolls on the v.2 plus a new material composition. I need to do a little more work on stiffness (softer) for production but I am very happy with the roll itself.

Testing is going quite well... we are within a few tenths of the SPL coil and catching up on the bottom end (only ~1.5 dB down @ 30 Hz adjusted for power).

The v.2 equalizes with the v.1 at 40 Hz and is louder above -- whereas the v.1 SPL coil was behind until 50 Hz and was REALLY far behind under 40 Hz.

It looks like with the slightly softer version of the v.2 spider we will have 90% of the SPL performance of the SPL coil v.1 and 90% of the low-end performance of the v.1 all in the same driver :)

very nice

Testing is going quite well... we are within a few tenths of the SPL coil and catching up on the bottom end (only ~1.5 dB down @ 30 Hz adjusted for power).

The v.2 equalizes with the v.1 at 40 Hz and is louder above -- whereas the v.1 SPL coil was behind until 50 Hz and was REALLY far behind under 40 Hz.

It looks like with the slightly softer version of the v.2 spider we will have 90% of the SPL performance of the SPL coil v.1 and 90% of the low-end performance of the v.1 all in the same driver :)

It should also be mentioned that the box used is tuned to 35 hz, so it's possible it might just have a steeper roll off below tuning.

Are these using the same motors? just new tooled frame and soft parts?

is that like 3 inches peak to peak excurssion?

is that like 3 inches peak to peak excurssion?

It sure does look like it, haha -- but the frame tops out a little over 2" p-p

Basically the same motor -- gap has been tweaked for the new coil.

I was contemplating a shorting ring but not sure if it would fit as well with the SA-8 as the other sizes as the % of cost to total build cost is much higher on the 8s.

It's nearly the same motor, new frame and small soft part change for the cone to accommodate. The spider is very different though.

It's nearly the same motor, new frame and small soft part change for the cone to accommodate. The spider is very different though.

So v.1s cant be reconed with v.2 frame and soft parts

So v.1s cant be reconed with v.2 frame and soft parts

I don't have the specific numbers on hand, but the gap is larger on the V2 to accommodate a wider coil. So, you could do do the V1 motor and V1 coil on a V2 basket, spider, and cone. But in all reality, that just doesn't make sense, not worth your time when you could just get a V2.

a newbie question, but I have to know. What is the name of those connectors that you used to connect the speaker wire to the terminals on the sub? I like that idea, it seems as though that method provides some advantages.

i think they might be banana plugs?

I am eagerly awaiting a preorder, I will be using four of these for home audio use :)

I am eagerly awaiting a preorder, I will be using four of these for home audio use :)

Just an FYI, there isn't a drastic performance difference for a home audio application. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't see any difference in that application.

Just an FYI, there isn't a drastic performance difference for a home audio application. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't see any difference in that application.

Thanks for the info.

I am not ready to purchase just yet but I figure by June I will be, just in time for the preorder.

The softer spider is in -- when Sean comes up again testing will be done to make sure we are where we need to be on it.

In the mean-time I am making another production run of SA-8 v.1 as so many are still being sold.