asb2106

SA-8 Box Build

My order of SA-8's is on the way (should arrive today).

This is my first experience with sundown products, and Im extremely excited to try out these 8's!

I ordered 4, but decided to only put two in my car for now, ran off a RF 1000bd Amplifier. The other two Ill put in my truck later on another 1000bd

I wanted to make a nice box for it, something that looks as good as it sounds. Most of my boxes are all about function, this one started that way, but has since changed into quite the nice box.

The box is built to 1.1 ft^3 net, 1.5 gross volume, 18 inches of port area, and tuned to 34 hz.

I should have the last few coats of clear applied today, and I should have the subs wired/mounted later tonight!

Thanks for looking :)

imag0032.jpg

imag0033.jpg

imag0034.jpg

imag0035.jpg

imag0036.jpg

imag0037.jpg

imag0038.jpg

imag0039.jpg

imag0040.jpg

imag0041.jpg

imag0042.jpg

imag0043.jpg

imag0044.jpg

imag0045.jpg

imag0047.jpg

imag0048.jpg

imag0049.jpg

imag0050.jpg

and here's some pics of my previous box I made for my soloX - https://picasaweb.google.com/ASB2106/3NetCubicFtBoxForSoloX#

Nice box!

How long is the box if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to see if I can fit 2 SA-8's under the console of my boat. I just realize I could squeeze them in sideways. I have about W28" x H13" x D16". Do you think I could make a box to spec with those dimensions?

im interested in how it sounds. what are the port dimensions if you dont mind me asking? im thinking of doing a very similar setup.

Nice work, very clean box!! :fing34:

Thanks guys for all the great compliments! Sorry for the long delay in response, Ive been sick the last few days :(

I had to modify it alitte bit after assembly. I went off the 8.25 OD measurement on the SSA store page for the SA8 and it was alittle too small :(

But its ok. nothing wrong with alittle more work :)

My external dimensions are 37x14x9.

Port area is 18 sq inches, with 30.75" port length tuning to 34hz.

@benjdow - Your dimensions would allow more than enough room to build a box :) You could do a hair over 2 cubes in there :)

@ wood - sound is good, Im very pleased with what they put out for 8's. However I just downgraded going from 2k watts down to 1k and from one solox to the 2 8's. So im still trying to get used to it.

'

Ive pretty much already decided this box is going to the living room, and building a new box to handle 4 of these in the car with both amps again.

*****QUESTION TO ALL*****

How are these for breaking in? The amp (RF1000BD) gain is set around half right now (bass boost 0), and the subs sound like they are almost maxxed out with the hu up about 70% of the way.. Im guessing I can expect better low end response and better travel once they break in?

so 2 wasn't enough.. wanted to get all 4 in the kia, made a couple new boxes, and got it going.

running 2 P1000BD's to the subs, a pair of d4's to each amp.

HOLY CRAP these things can get loud. And I havnt even turned it up yet..

Port is pretty long, enters the front at the top, travels along the back, and turns in again! around 25" in port length. Tuned to 36hz. Glued the t-nuts in this time too, those things get fricking annoying when they keep fallin out..

imag0076.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Nice build! I have always loved multiple 8's. How are they below tuning? Enclosure volume? :popcorn:

Nice build! I have always loved multiple 8's. How are they below tuning? Enclosure volume? :popcorn:

Havnt really pushed em yet, the second pair of drivers is new new so I plan on letting those break in some.. but from what one heard so far they are doing well. I do hear a bit of slap or noise from one of the speakers during certain songs that hit low, I just turned it down a hair to make sure I wasn't over driving the woofer

Net size for the box is 1.123, tuned a wee higher than the first box, went up to 36.

So far its a toss up on what I think, I'm hoping they work in nicely with more amplifier levels. and as long as that's happens ill be a super happy customer .

Havnt really pushed em yet, the second pair of drivers is new new so I plan on letting those break in some.. but from what one heard so far they are doing well. I do hear a bit of slap or noise from one of the speakers during certain songs that hit low, I just turned it down a hair to make sure I wasn't over driving the woofer

Net size for the box is 1.123, tuned a wee higher than the first box, went up to 36.

So far its a toss up on what I think, I'm hoping they work in nicely with more amplifier levels. and as long as that's happens ill be a super happy customer .

Looks Good!! Got any vids yet? :popcorn:

looks good so far!

looks great! how do those 8's sound?

looks great! how do those 8's sound?

they are sounding good, I dont get to listen to them often since I hooked em up tho :(

However I can tell the bass is getting deeper and Im able to go alittle more each time I listen to them.

I am extremely impressed with these, and they are starting to make an impression on some customers.. I run a computer business on the side of my daily job (T Squared Computers), and I have been running some box builds and stereo installs through it recently.

My last customer had me setup 4 l7's in a mid 90s blazer. (That was fun to cram in there!)

He was happy with his build.. his amps kinda sucked and running stock power, but it still made some good noise

Then he listened to my 4 8's with the RF1000s and was shocked at how the 8s produced deep bass. He expected to hear something totally different than his 12" l7s and was kinda humbled after my 8s outperformed his l7s! The low end on these is fantastic. I couldnt beleive how it really brought some songs to life!

I think going up to 36 hz was good and bad.. Some songs sound spectacular now, the bass has smoothed out and really gets up there. Its almost not "loud" but more penetrating and bass you can feel. Does so even better than my SoloX that I owned previous to the 8's (on the same amps) *Now the bad* Some songs that sounded fantastic on the SoloX (tuned to 40hz) just dont sound quite the same. And the subs just cannot handle them well. I still partly credit this to the subs breaking in. One song forinstance - Jay Z Young Forever was an amazing song on the SoloX, one of my loudest, going to the 8s at first I could only get my headunit up ~ 60% of the way before having to back off, now I can push it almost up to my usual 75%. Some songs the 8s do great with, Birdman - Firefly (This song sounds GREAT), Wacka - No hands (also sounded rough at first and has greatly improved), one song that still sounds bad on the car is pretty much anything Akon does.

*Oh and Ill grab soem vids of the kia prob over the weekend, I want to let those subs break in some more and maybe get alittle more gain to them still.

Heres some pics of that l7 box, its impressive basically only for its size, but it was a fun build.

imag0072.jpg

imag0073.jpg

imag0068.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

And heres a pic of that first box I made, I cut the face off, gonna do a kerfed port and make the holes fit the subs better (now that I actually have them here) This box (referred to by a buddy of mine as the "ibox") Is probably going to be put in my living room.

IMAG0120.jpg