Sign in to follow this  
juan

Looking to buy 50ft. of power wire. Which brand?

So like the title says, im looking to buy bout 50ft. of 1/0 power wire. Which brand should i go with? Have been looking at stinger hpm, knu kol fleks, kicker, welding cable but not sure what size and if its even good for car audio, and shok. Going to be running approx 3.5k watts of power from it.

I use welding cable. I have been using it since 1989 and have never had any issues using it.

If you are concerned with performance, buy welding cable....

If you aren't, buy something else...

welding cable

Is it the same size as lets say knu 1/0? What size welding cable should i get for a 100.4 and saz3000d?

Is it the same size as lets say knu 1/0? What size welding cable should i get for a 100.4 and saz3000d?

The welding wire? Yes, and it's all copper, not cca (copper clad aluminum).

Are you going to run multiple runs or just a single power wire?

I'm just going off fuse ratings for the above amps, sax100.4 = 90amps & saz3kd external fuse 300amps.

So I'd personally run enough wire to handle near that amperage.

2 runs of 0/1gauge 15ft in length each, could carry 380amps. (Not sure how much voltage drop you would experience, may or may not be an issue. Use this to figure voltage drop: http://www.securityideas.com/howtocalvold.html

I'll edit my post later, gotta run out the door...

If you have sharp bends or tight turns you may want something alittle more flexible than welding cable.

If you have sharp bends or tight turns you may want something alittle more flexible than welding cable.

That's certainly something to take into consideration. I've used welding wire for both my vehicles and haven't had any issues running it around corners, under seats, etc.

They also have a new Ultra Flex cable that seems just as flexible as any other cable. Ultra Flex Welding Wire Might pick some up just to see how flexible it actually is.

They also have a new Ultra Flex cable that seems just as flexible as any other cable. Ultra Flex Welding Wire Might pick some up just to see how flexible it actually is.

almost went for it but that damned orange jacket pushed me away... lol

I don't know where you get this "it's not very flexible" stuff from... I have Supraflex in 4/0 (yes 0000) that I have tied in a knot..... A knot the size of your fist.... And I bought it in black and red, not just orange.... So look around...

Yea it is very orange!! Possibly use some black shielding?

I don't know where you get this "it's not very flexible" stuff from... I have Supraflex in 4/0 (yes 0000) that I have tied in a knot..... A knot the size of your fist.... And I bought it in black and red, not just orange.... So look around...

Would you mind sharing where you purchased from?

I'm soooo stoopid.... I have put all my wire inside a loom this whole time and I never thought about the fact I'd prolly never see the color... lmao

lmao.. 4/0.. seems like some huge ass wire, would like to see some of this up close. probably overkill for any of my installs but 1/0 is huge to me, this shit has to be monstrous.

I had photos posted on SIN, but I think they are long gone....

I'm soooo stoopid.... I have put all my wire inside a loom this whole time and I never thought about the fact I'd prolly never see the color... lmao

I am missing the internet sarcasm? Or are you really being a jerk?

Nah no being a jerk... I really forgot that I put all my wire in a loom at the time that I purchased all my welding wire.... lol... That is all..

Nah no being a jerk... I really forgot that I put all my wire in a loom at the time that I purchased all my welding wire.... lol... That is all..

Oh ok, Yea i wasnt sure how to read it! I was gonna get mad, but we are now good.....................hulk will return to his cage!

lmfao... :roflmao: ... I always carry the hulk with me... I keep him zipped up for the most part...

A zipper cant contain!! Anyways!!! GL on finding some good wire!!

I went with Stinger HPM 1/0 but I bought it used.

Has anyone used this wire before? Coppercableman I was wondering if 1/0 was big enough for a saz3000d and sax100.4. It seems to be a lil smaller in diameter compared to knu ofc 1/0. Thanks

Have not used them personally. I buy from weldingsupply.com.

My last order for 60' was $135.30 + 19.61 for shipping. So same price for the 50' on your ebay link and I got 10' more.

Has anyone used this wire before? Coppercableman I was wondering if 1/0 was big enough for a saz3000d and sax100.4. It seems to be a lil smaller in diameter compared to knu ofc 1/0. Thanks

That's a great price I would give it a shot. If you buy, give us a review here at SSA!