Sign in to follow this  
Frostedflakejake

SA-15s in large Sealed box

What's wrong with terminal cups? I like binding posts too, just for whatever reason the ones I've used start to leak after time. Thought about using some washers on the back side to have a larger sealing surface, but haven't done it.

Either way, for the love of god don't run speaker wire thru the port. I think it's very lazy and looks horrible.

Good luck with the build!

I just don't like cutting a 2"x2" hole or what ever in the box and replacing that with plastic.

The last box I had built, I specifically told the builder to use binding posts and not plastic terminal cups, he said he had something better, came back the next day he used a ~3"x3" plastic terminal cup screwed into the box and silicone-d around the edges.

Any how the rest of the box was built poorly and overall the box flexed way too much.

I'm not saying using a terminal cup will reduce the box strength / rigidity, I don't know, but I don't want to be cheap use it and find out it does :ughdunno:

I use those same dayton posts that steph posted. I love them. They are so easy to use and the installation is neat an clean when finished. Just drill the hole suggested and tap her in.

just don't like cutting a 2"x2" hole or what ever in the box and replacing that with plastic.

The last box I had built, I specifically told the builder to use binding posts and not plastic terminal cups, he said he had something better, came back the next day he used a ~3"x3" plastic terminal cup screwed into the box and silicone-d around the edges.

Any how the rest of the box was built poorly and overall the box flexed way too much.

I'm not saying using a terminal cup will reduce the box strength / rigidity, I don't know, but I don't want to be cheap use it and find out it does :ughdunno:

I hear ya. I have a bunch of old cups from DCM speakers (don't ask) and usually use those. They are built pretty nice and only a ~2" circle cut. Never had one leak since they have a built in gasket plus I silicone them. Maybe I've just been going about the posts the wrong way :ughdunno:

The problem with all the other solutions is exactly what you ran into; problems with a good seal. Running the wires through the port is the only way around that. Regardless, I put in a terminal box for time being.

Edited by Frostedflakejake

Yeah i would imagine that would work nearly flawlessly! :)

In all honesty I'm not worried about the seal too much; i ran a terminal box with my BTL as well. It would just be nice to not have to worry about it you know?

Sign in to follow this