sbelew

Hum or whine noise through speakers

Just got my system hooked up today but I have a very annoying whine or hum in the speakers. Its there with the truck running or not, but worse when it is running. I think from reading that this is a ground problem, but I have moved the amplifier ground to a few different places inside the cab of the truck, seat belt, seat mount bolt, I cant get rid of it. Can anyone help?

Edited by sbelew

Check all connections, also make sure you dont have your power wires and RCA's ran together, ive heard of that causing problems sometimes.

Check all connections, also make sure you dont have your power wires and RCA's ran together, ive heard of that causing problems sometimes.

Don't worry if they are run together, that isn't the cause.

Bad ground most likely or bad rca cable. Check those first.

Yup, ground or rca. Check the HU ground too and dont use the factory ground run a new one.

Had to do this myself not too long ago, turned out to be a pinched rca.

Easiest way to see is run a new one from HU to the amp over the seats and change the one that is bad.

Yup, ground or rca. Check the HU ground too and dont use the factory ground run a new one.

Had to do this myself not too long ago, turned out to be a pinched rca.

Easiest way to see is run a new one from HU to the amp over the seats and change the one that is bad.

just tried that, exactly as you said, pulled HU out connected new cable, ran it over the seats to the amp, still have noise. Have not changed the ground on the HU though.

Just diconnected the HU ground and ran a new one to the chassis, still have the nois. I disconnected the front component crossovers from the amp so all i have is a pair od coaxials, no difference. If I ran a ground wire from the battery direct to the amp, would this eliminate the problem if it is in fact a ground problem?

Not if your connection is still bad, but it would fix it if it is the fault of your connection.

Not if your connection is still bad, but it would fix it if it is the fault of your connection.

I figured out the problem. I removed the Kenwood x994 HU and reinstalled the Pioneer that was in the truck and no noise. So I returned the x994 to crutchfield and upgraded to the x995. Crutchfield customer service is definately first rate. They were very helpful in doing the exchange and very friendly about it. :fing34: Thumbs up to Crutchfield!