j-roadtatts

Hanging Lake, Glenwood canyon, Colorado

These are pictures from a recent hike. The trailhead is in Glenwood Canyon. The hike is 1.2 mi. long and gains alittle over a 1000 ft.

med_gallery_10399_537_26479.jpg

As soon as we pulled in the parking lot, a whirly bird landed right in front of us. In the pic below you can see the helicopter directly out from the first shelf in the left cliff. There is a tunnel running thru the mtn to the left. The CDOT was doing some sort of work. Ok back to the hike.

med_gallery_10399_537_219228.jpg

This shot is looking down the canyon to the west. I live 20 miles in this direction.

med_gallery_10399_537_6365.jpg

The next 3 pics are looking south from the top of the cliff that the lake is on. This is looking straight down the trail you must hike. The trailhead starts in front of the farthest mtn. You must hike up this canyon to reach the top.

med_gallery_10399_537_1582.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_255519.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_143001.jpg

Here we are at the lake. Its more the size of a pond but is basicly a bowl on top of a couple hundred ft of travertine. Eric is in a few pics for reference of size. The log in the center is like the trademark of the lake and is visable in all pics.

med_gallery_10399_537_69630.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_63780.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_163659.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_18458.jpg

med_gallery_10399_537_186922.jpg

The waterfall is to the right in this pic and the walkway is on top of the travertine dam. There is about a 200 ft drop off to the left. The last stretch of trail is strairs carved into the cliff edge. The decent starts across the lake in the last pic. over where all you see are tree tops.

Edit: I jumped into this lake when I was 15 with a girl in a white t-shirt. The water is direct snow melt run off.

That's cool to be able to go back somewhere you went when you were a kid.

Place looks like a scene from The Island movie, very surreal.

Wow, water looks amazing. Love that color, reminds me of Hawaii. Just a BIT different temp. though haha

Would be a tough call if i would have jumpped in the lake if i was in your shoes at 15... Who am i kidding? :thinkingboobs:

Some reason it reminds me of Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome pictures!

Very nice, thanks for sharing. :fing34: