Sign in to follow this  
Repth

Box for Havoc 15

Well, I just finished the build for my 15" Havoc. It's 2.6 cubes sealed. I am giving it 1.2kw RMS @ 1 ohm via Cadence ZRS7000D. The car is a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. I listen to a good mix of rap, rock, and some dnb and other electronica. The sealed box is not providing enough low end for me, so I'm going to build a ported set-up for it. Does anyone have recommendations on what volume and what to tune the port to for my listening tastes? I am capable of building a slot-port box myself. Also, volume is not really an issue, but I'd like to keep it at or under 5 cubes. Thanks.

How about 5^3 box with 100^2 of port tuned to 34-35Hz. :)

That would get real nasty.

It should be providing enough low end... But maybe you're looking for more output at the low end?

It should be providing enough low end... But maybe you're looking for more output at the low end?

Forgive me if that's not what I said; that's what I meant. It is providing decent output all the way down to 30hz, but I do think that upon listening further that I would prefer to have some more output in the low end.

And bassahaulic, thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have ideas? Is it always best to go with the maximum volume recommended by the manufacturer?

No. I have been messing with my Havoc 15 for a few years now, and I have settled with 4.5 cu. ft. tuned to 28 Hz. If you listen to a wider variety of music, I would recommend tuning to around 32 Hz. I listen to mostly rap with disgusting lows, so I have found the lower tuning to really help. I would go between 4-4.5 cubes for a ported box. And use around 50-60 sq. in. of port area. 5 cubes with 100 sq. in. of port is a little extreme for your application.

lol 100inchs of port would move some crazy air flow!

4ft^3 tuned to 30-32hz with about 60in^2 of port will work well. But box volume is going to be over 5ft^3 when it's all said and done.

No. I have been messing with my Havoc 15 for a few years now, and I have settled with 4.5 cu. ft. tuned to 28 Hz. If you listen to a wider variety of music, I would recommend tuning to around 32 Hz. I listen to mostly rap with disgusting lows, so I have found the lower tuning to really help. I would go between 4-4.5 cubes for a ported box. And use around 50-60 sq. in. of port area. 5 cubes with 100 sq. in. of port is a little extreme for your application.

Why do you say that? I put my GF's two 12"s in 5 cubes with 100sqin port. Plays amazingly well.

Why do you say that? I put my GF's two 12"s in 5 cubes with 100sqin port. Plays amazingly well.

From my extremely scientific knowledge from the realm of personal experience (/facetious) I have just found that extreme amounts of port area causes this sub to suffer on the lows. I do not know exactly why, maybe because the port was so much larger and longer, but the sub just did not seem as strong in the 26-34 Hz region. The 12's only have slightly more cone area total... I don't know why this happened to me. I have tried a box with 80 sq. in. and it just wasn't the same as the other two boxes I have built with port areas from 50-60 sq. in. of port. Besides, he can save a lot of space by using a smaller port area. Why make it larger than necessary I guess is half my point.

From my extremely scientific knowledge from the realm of personal experience (/facetious) I have just found that extreme amounts of port area causes this sub to suffer on the lows. I do not know exactly why, maybe because the port was so much larger and longer, but the sub just did not seem as strong in the 26-34 Hz region. The 12's only have slightly more cone area total... I don't know why this happened to me. I have tried a box with 80 sq. in. and it just wasn't the same as the other two boxes I have built with port areas from 50-60 sq. in. of port. Besides, he can save a lot of space by using a smaller port area. Why make it larger than necessary I guess is half my point.

You probably had the port wrong, which is what a lot of people messed up on with larger ports. If you could have gotten it right, it would have been much much louder then a smaller port. And probably sounded better.

I'm now making a box for that AA Havoc (thanks nick!). Outers are 35"w x 17"h x 15"d. I don't know where I got the calculator, but it's showing a 1"w x 15.5" h x 9" long port will give me 30.19 hz... 4.09 cu ft. ... Is this calc right?

I'm now making a box for that AA Havoc (thanks nick!). Outers are 35"w x 17"h x 15"d. I don't know where I got the calculator, but it's showing a 1"w x 15.5" h x 9" long port will give me 30.19 hz... 4.09 cu ft. ... Is this calc right?

It depends where you get the enclosure tuning from. Some sites such as Re Audio's site are slighlty off with tuning. My buddy used Re's calculator then used the physics to figure out the actual tuning and Re was about 5 hz to low on their prediction. Ex. Re said 30 hz, actually tuning was roughly 35 hz.

Sign in to follow this