00WJGC

MB Quart or Sundown???

I have a JL Audio 500/1v2 & am ready to add my substage. I'm using an Alpine-CDA-9886 h/u & Image Dynamics CTX-65 components up front, powered by a JL Audio 300/4v2 (running active). I know JL Audio isn't very well liked around here, but I got the 2 amps lnib for $280. I originally planned on porting a single Sundown SA-12, but now I'm not sure.

I can get a brand new Sundown SA-12d2 for $160 locally, or order a 12'' MB Quart RWE-302 from woofersetc for $70. I plan on porting either way, & I have a Grand Cherokee, so space isn't an issue as I've heard the MBQ's need alot of space.

Opinions?

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3415-rwe-302-mb-quart-12-1000-watt-reference-series-subwoofer.aspx

If you've got the $160, I say go Sundown.

The people who don't like JL in general around here have no experience with them either :(

I'd step up to the Sundown in this case though as well.

You may also want to bridge that 300/4 and go back to passive with that set. If you had the 9887 and had true crossovers I wouldn't say that, but I'd expect the passive integration to be better than active on an amplifier. And :morepower1: is more headroom which will be of benefit.

The people who don't like JL in general around here have no experience with them either :(

I'd step up to the Sundown in this case though as well.

You may also want to bridge that 300/4 and go back to passive with that set. If you had the 9887 and had true crossovers I wouldn't say that, but I'd expect the passive integration to be better than active on an amplifier. And :morepower1: is more headroom which will be of benefit.

I'm running active through my h/u, not the amplifier. One of the x-over's was damaged during shipping, I'm waiting on a replacement so I can go passive again....active is too time consuming for me.

I know the SA-12 can handle twice the 500w my amp will put out, but I'd rather not go any bigger. Jacob Fuller said 500w will make it move nicely, & I don't wanna spend the $$$ for a bigger amplifier & have to upgrad my electrical anymore. (stock alt/batt & 1/0 Big 3)

I was just hoping to get some feedback on the RWE. I know the Sundown is the better woofer, but for $70 the MBQ looks really nice. I believe it's the older German made Quart also.

You have a nice h u and 2 very nice amps. So, get a nice sub : get the Sundown.

There are lots of subs in the market, why only those 2 ?

If you have room, get the 15" in DVC2 to play at 4 Ohms on your amp. You will be able to upgrade your amp to one stable at 1 Ohm.