ctmaudi

Enclosure For 12in DCON

Im strongly considering a 12in DCON S4 for my daily driver. My SA-10s are going to be moved to my Sonoma when its running, and I want to try something different for my daily (07 Altima). Ill get a Crescendo 1000C4 and bridge the rear channels for the sub, having 500rms on tap for it.

I listen to mostly rock and techno, very little rap. I like to have more mid bass then really low end, but still would want it to get pretty low. Id like to have the LPF crossed about 100-120Hz. Most of all, I want as even an output across the widest range possible. Looking for more of an SQ setup.

I dont care some much for loud bass, as I do air moving bass if that makes sense. I like to feel it moving my hair and kicking the seet.

The max length I can have the box is 31.25in, and the max height is 15in. Ive got plenty of depth, but want to stay under 15in. Ive never made a box before, but I dont think Id have much issue throwing a simple design together. The sub displacement is .14cu, and I plan to put 45s in each corner which is another .14cu. The sealed box I figured would be 18in wide, 15in high, 11.25 deep with double baffle, totaling 1.16cu, leaving .88cu after sub and bracing.

The ported would be 31.25in long, 15in high, 14.25in deep with double baffle. That comes to 2.79cu, and would have the sub mounted facing either the back seat or the trunk, and a straight port to the side facing the quarter panels, 25in long, 13.5in high, 3in wide, for 36hz and .586cu, leaving a total 1.924cu left. Did I figure all that right? I used http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp for all the calculations.

Having the extra space with the sealed would be nice, but either box would work. Whichever would sound better or be much louder, then thats what Ill go with. I like to leave headroom with the amp, so I wouldnt run more then 400rms.

Crossing the dcon over at 100-120hz is pretty high, are you planning on adding some midbass drivers?

I have my Dcon 12" in 2 cubes tuned to 29hz and I am very happy with it. HPF@ 80hz. I can't wait to try it a a small sealed enclosure. Whatever you decide on, please post up your thoughts. :popcorn:

Crossing the dcon over at 100-120hz is pretty high, are you planning on adding some midbass drivers?

Just the Crescendo CCX65 comps up front. My HU can do 24Db octaves on the high and low pass filters. Ive been using the high at 100Hz 12db, and the low either the same, or at 120Hz 24Db.

Edited by ctmaudi

Ported definitely, DCON's, even when tuned to 30, will do fantastic for midbass, they cover everything quite well.

Go with the recommended DCON ported enclosure on the tech page. I would also recommend setting your LPF at 80hz to start and tweak from there. Does your amp have a SSF filter?

A 36hz tuning is going to give you a big peak with the Dcon. Drop tuning to 30hz for a smoother response.

I finally got my comps hooked up today, and the mid bass on them is pretty darn good, much better then I expected. Though I think one of the speakers has a defect, cant tell since I didnt really install that door right, or sound deadend that one yet.

Anyway, what would be better between sealed and 30hz ported? With the size I have to work with, 30hz would require over 38in port length, and the box is only 31.25 wide (29.75in to reach the side wall). If I went with a 2.5in port, thats still over 31in.

Ported definitely, DCON's, even when tuned to 30, will do fantastic for midbass, they cover everything quite well.

:)

I finally got my comps hooked up today, and the mid bass on them is pretty darn good, much better then I expected. Though I think one of the speakers has a defect, cant tell since I didnt really install that door right, or sound deadend that one yet.

Anyway, what would be better between sealed and 30hz ported? With the size I have to work with, 30hz would require over 38in port length, and the box is only 31.25 wide (29.75in to reach the side wall). If I went with a 2.5in port, thats still over 31in.

Not sure of the actual area you have to work with, but you will want to port the Dcon.

Not sure of the actual area you have to work with, but you will want to port the Dcon.

Its above, 31.25 wide, 15 tall, and up to 16 deep, but would prefer around 14. If I did 31.25x15x14.25 with double baffle (what I had figured above), thats 2.789cu before sub/bracing and port. Not sure how to figure port length when doing an L port. Going by the 12volt.com calculator, for 30Hz and 2.5 port width, Id need 31in long port if you use 2.789cu, or 35in if you take in to account for the sub and bracing first (2.509).

Go with the recommended DCON ported enclosure on the tech page. I would also recommend setting your LPF at 80hz to start and tweak from there. Does your amp have a SSF filter?

A sub-sonic filter filter? Lol I'm just jackin around though...

Its above, 31.25 wide, 15 tall, and up to 16 deep, but would prefer around 14. If I did 31.25x15x14.25 with double baffle (what I had figured above), thats 2.789cu before sub/bracing and port. Not sure how to figure port length when doing an L port. Going by the 12volt.com calculator, for 30Hz and 2.5 port width, Id need 31in long port if you use 2.789cu, or 35in if you take in to account for the sub and bracing first (2.509).

To figure out the length of a "L" port, you need to "measure" down the middle of the port. Also keep in mind that the entire port doesn't need to be physically inside of the enclosure.

So what about 2-3" aeroports firing to the side. They'd be 20" long and wouldn't take up hardly any box volume. And if you want to try sealed later, the ports are easy to block off and you can make some small mdf boxes to take up space inside the box to drop the volume down.

Here's a link to some 3" aero kits.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=404_85&products_id=711

Edited by hondakilla98

So what about 2-3" aeroports firing to the side. They'd be 20" long and wouldn't take up hardly any box volume. And if you want to try sealed later, the ports are easy to block off and you can make some small mdf boxes to take up space inside the box to drop the volume down.

My current box has 2 3in aeros, and I dont really like it as much as an L or straight port.

I think I can change the dimensions though, because Ive always had the subs pushed up against the back seat firing in to the cabin. Read an article saying as close to the back end of the trunk firing toward the trunk is best.

Im kind of thinking of making a sealed box, since it would be the first one I made myself, and would be easier to move around and test the best locations. Then when I know the best way to face it for my car, design a ported box for it.

Would a sealed box need 45s in the corners, or any other bracing?

My current box has 2 3in aeros, and I dont really like it as much as an L or straight port.

I think I can change the dimensions though, because Ive always had the subs pushed up against the back seat firing in to the cabin. Read an article saying as close to the back end of the trunk firing toward the trunk is best.

Im kind of thinking of making a sealed box, since it would be the first one I made myself, and would be easier to move around and test the best locations. Then when I know the best way to face it for my car, design a ported box for it.

Would a sealed box need 45s in the corners, or any other bracing?

You don't like the look or the sound? I'd build a generic box 2 cu ft and run the aero's external. Then you can face the sub and ports different directions. Make a plate with the 2 ports mounted on it. cut a hole in the box. screw the plate to the box and test it. Then cut another hole, mount it there and put a piece of scrap mdf over the last hole. then you can test sub and port firing untill you figure out whats best. Then build a permanent box spec'd however sounded best. The best part is, you already have the aero's. So all it costs is time, glue and mdf. Then if you want to try sealed, just make some small mdf boxes or whatever, put them in the box to lower the volume to whatever you want. And you could even change the volume to see what sounds the best sealed in your car.

If you go with a sealed box you won't "need" 45's, but they wouldn't hurt either.

All my previous boxes were straight and L ports. This one with aeros just didnt seem to sound as good as the previous box my SAs were in, but it fits better in my trunk. Seems like they stuggle more under 30Hz, and this box is tuned to 31/32, and the other was tuned to 36.

Would it be the same to build a box for one of my SAs to find the best location, before I buy the DCON? Depending on location, I might be able to fit a 15.