DarkTinman

Steve Meade's Clipping Tool

Same reason clipping indicators are useless. Why not empower yourself and research distortion measurements. Then research what computation power it takes to build a real time analyzer in the frequency domain to do the calculations. Then realize how difficult it is if you do not exactly know the input frequency in the algorithm. Even more importantly, take a step back and read about average power, how and why it is defined and what little affect some clipping has on it. Completely useless and will not only give the wrong result but misinform people that they are doing it the right way. I despise the company/person bringing this to market. It is perhaps even a step worse than a capacitor. :( :( :(

Dear Mr. M5,

This tool measures DISTORTION. Yes it takes a lot of power to build a real time analyzer to measure distortion. That is what it does, that is why it works. On top of that I did it in 100% analog. This is not a toy, don't kid yourself or lead other people to think it is especially when you didn't know.

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

Great step. Obviously my next question is what are you using to calculate distortion (ie which harmonics etc) and at what level you consider it clipping. Glad you took the time to come here, thanks. I apologize for sounding like I inferred it was a clipping indicator.

Waste of money, especially since clipping doesn't hurt anything...

This is comparable to buying a "Shake Weight" and thinking it will make you look like the guy on the box...

Of course even if it works I still don't see the value in knowing you are clipping for those that aren't chasing tenths on a meter.

without being confrontational or anything, can i ask you this.......do you think its good advice for someone to just turn the gain knob up and hope for the best? Perhaps all the way, for maximum power? I actually think your last statement is ass-backwards because if i was chasing numbers, i wouldnt care about distortion and a little clipping would get you more power. Dirty power that your system can handle for a burp, but still more power. For a regular system, to set your gains properly you should use an O scope. This product is designed to replace the O scope (for gain setting purposes).

Same reason clipping indicators are useless. Why not empower yourself and research distortion measurements. Then research what computation power it takes to build a real time analyzer in the frequency domain to do the calculations. Then realize how difficult it is if you do not exactly know the input frequency in the algorithm. Even more importantly, take a step back and read about average power, how and why it is defined and what little affect some clipping has on it. Completely useless and will not only give the wrong result but misinform people that they are doing it the right way. I despise the company/person bringing this to market. It is perhaps even a step worse than a capacitor. :( :( :(

Dear Mr. M5,

This tool measures DISTORTION. Yes it takes a lot of power to build a real time analyzer to measure distortion. That is what it does, that is why it works. On top of that I did it in 100% analog. This is not a toy, don't kid yourself or lead other people to think it is especially when you didn't know.

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

Great step. Obviously my next question is what are you using to calculate distortion (ie which harmonics etc) and at what level you consider it clipping. Glad you took the time to come here, thanks. I apologize for sounding like I inferred it was a clipping indicator.

This is comparable to buying a "Shake Weight" and thinking it will make you look like the guy on the box...

Of course even if it works I still don't see the value in knowing you are clipping for those that aren't chasing tenths on a meter.

without being confrontational or anything, can i ask you this.......do you think its good advice for someone to just turn the gain knob up and hope for the best? I actually think your last statement is ass-backwards because if i was chasing numbers, i wouldnt care about distortion and a little clipping would get you more power. Dirty power that your system can handle for a burp, but still more power. For a regular system, to set your gains properly you should use an O scope. This product is designed to replace the O scope (for gain setting purposes).

How about I make this simple with a question, can you hear the difference between 900w and 1000w?

I like the fact that Im learning a few things from this thread.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You learned a FEW things? The only thing I learned was how to straight up bash a product without it being on the market yet and knowing nothing about it...

Give it a few months for accredited reviewers to get their hands on it. This could be an easy tool for many car audio enthusiasts to use if it works as intended.

I like the fact that Im learning a few things from this thread.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You learned a FEW things? The only thing I learned was how to straight up bash a product without it being on the market yet and knowing nothing about it...

Give it a few months for accredited reviewers to get their hands on it. This could be an easy tool for many car audio enthusiasts to use if it works as intended.

I definitely plan on buying this thing if it does what its supposed to..no doubt

Edited by hdorre

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

without being confrontational or anything, can i ask you this.......do you think its good advice for someone to just turn the gain knob up and hope for the best? I actually think your last statement is ass-backwards because if i was chasing numbers, i wouldnt care about distortion and a little clipping would get you more power. Dirty power that your system can handle for a burp, but still more power. For a regular system, to set your gains properly you should use an O scope. This product is designed to replace the O scope (for gain setting purposes).

How about I make this simple with a question, can you hear the difference between 900w and 1000w?

you are incredible....

if anyone wants any REAL info, i will have more as the product continues to improve, before we even release it.

i will also, like i said, send a few out to some REAL installers, even REAL backyard installers who like to do things right.... for beta testing. Of course there is always info on my site. I would be glad to keep SSA posted but it seems like this place is hostile lately. If you guys want, i can though. All questions, even with doubts, can be answered as long as your not a dickface about it. Is that such a hard thing to do? :)

:popcorn:

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

you are incredible....

if anyone wants any REAL info, i will have more as the product continues to improve, before we even release it.

i will also, like i said, send a few out to some REAL installers, even REAL backyard installers who like to do things right.... for beta testing. Of course there is always info on my site. I would be glad to keep SSA posted but it seems like this place is hostile lately. If you guys want, i can though. All questions, even with doubts, can be answered as long as your not a dickface about it. Is that such a hard thing to do? :)

haha. I feel like i should be one of the backyard testers considering i am working on a new build and need an oscope or this clipping tool to set my gains. Please keep up posted on this product, just because one asshole on this website doesnt see a use for it other might.

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

you are incredible....

Can't tell if that was a no or yes...

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

you are incredible....

At least at this site, you can state your own opinion and disagree with somebody without getting banned, like over on your site...

And over here you don't have 10 people trying to PM you pricing on a certain product every time its mentioned in a thread.

As I'm not saying anything bad about your forum, just a few people there, and your admin. Who got pissed because I said the letters DAT, without saying ONE thing ever bad about them.

What is wrong with just using a dmm? I have a 1200w amp, and set it for 1000w (44.7v @ 2ohm) since there is no noticable difference. Is it even possible to clip if you arent over powering?

Edited by ctmaudi

All questions, even with doubts, can be answered as long as your not a dickface about it. Is that such a hard thing to do?

A great place to start would be to answer M5's questions.

How is the distortion calculated and at what point is it considered "unacceptable". I find it interesting in this thread it's promoted as a distortion analyzer, yet throughout the half of the video I watched you always referenced it as "clipping" and not "unacceptable levels of distortion" or "X% distortion level".

Also, would be interested in knowing what level test tones you use for the measurement and include on the disc you say will be sent with the unit. 0db, -3db, etc?

Last for now.....just for shits and giggles, I'd be interested in hearing your answer to M5's last question as well.

What is wrong with just using a dmm? I have a 1200w amp, and set it for 1000w (44.7v @ 2ohm) since there is no noticable difference. Is it even possible to clip if you arent over powering?

It doesnt detect clipping or distortion. Say you have an amp rated at 1200wrms @14.4volts, but its either underrated or you have voltage drop. If you still setup the amp to output 1200wrms at but instantly drop to 13 volts on the burp, youd get clipping.

At least at this site, you can state your own opinion and disagree with somebody without getting banned, like over on your site...

And over here you don't have 10 people trying to PM you pricing on a certain product every time its mentioned in a thread.

As I'm not saying anything bad about your forum, just a few people there, and your admin. Who got pissed because I said the letters DAT, without saying ONE thing ever bad about them.

:ohsnap:

Over the years I have always used my ears and went with that and never blew a mid, tweet or sub woofer but then again I wasn't shooting for 150 db+ either :lol2: . Lately I have been using an O-Scope since I have started competing again in SPL and trying for 150+ db on music.

I would love to give this thing a test up here in the vast nowhere of the upper midwest. :attempt:

Yes it is possible, clipping in from the HU when it is set too high or from the recording itself.

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

damn and i didnt even tell tony to come in here....i didnt want him to feel obligated to come argue with you guys only to spend the next week arguing.

if you woulda just asked nicely, even with your doubts, your concerns can be addressed like gentleman.

of course we are trying to make money, duhhh, but not from snake oil. This is a legit product. This thing would have been released a LONG time ago if it was JUST about money but we want a quality, WORKING, RELIABLE tool before it goes to market. Some lucky people will be chosen as beta testers to confirm everything is good.

by the way, i dont get rich off sales of my subwoofer, i get a small amount for licensing, a VERY small amount. I make a little more when i actually sell them AS A DEALER and let me tell you, i read/respond to probably 300-500 emails before i make a sale. Therefore i dont make shit for the amount of time i put into it.

just an FYI

Props for stopping in but you guys are wasting your time in here....it isnt worth arguing.

It is never a waste here, because here people actually care about learning and getting real information.

damn and i didnt even tell tony to come in here....i didnt want him to feel obligated to come argue with you guys only to spend the next week arguing.

if you woulda just asked nicely, even with your doubts, your concerns can be addressed like gentleman.

of course we are trying to make money, duhhh, but not from snake oil. This is a legit product. This thing would have been released a LONG time ago if it was JUST about money but we want a quality, WORKING, RELIABLE tool before it goes to market. Some lucky people will be chosen as beta testers to confirm everything is good.

by the way, i dont get rich off sales of my subwoofer, i get a small amount for licensing, a VERY small amount. I make a little more when i actually sell them AS A DEALER and let me tell you, i read/respond to probably 300-500 emails before i make a sale. Therefore i dont make shit for the amount of time i put into it.

just an FYI

Sorry Steve. I am not trying to be rude but i know your busy so how am I going to be able to get a hold of you? I know you get spammed with a lot of emails or anything on SMD or youtube. Most of them some kid with 2 12's in his car asking what a DB is. So i don't know how i would even attempt to get into contact with you. I know that it sounded like i was bashing, and assuming which again, i apologize for. But, i was more asking what people thought about it and if it actually would be a working tool. I am glad that your taking the time to develop your product and send it out. Again, i had no idea so i ask on this SSA forum. I take it personally because i am the OP of this thread...

I know you don't get rich on your subwoofer, you do get promotion, and you do get money from Youtube. I know you are making quite a lot of money, seeing as i have been watching your Youtube near when you started. I remember you buying a shop and now your doing it big. I respect that and i am not trying to be a hardcore "hater." Just what i thought i guess.

Mostly, i'm just saying it's hard to get into contact with you so i ask people who have experience in Car Audio, instead of going into a local car audio shop and being told that it's useless and you can only get it "professionally" tuned. Thanks for dropping in to talk on your behalf.

Do you think you could go a little bit more in depth with your new product? I watched the video and everything, and started asking questions as you can see but it would be nice to get the facts straight from you.

EDIT: Sorry i just saw that other people just comment the same concept. Didn't know that people would be on it so quick.

Edited by DarkTinman

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

you are incredible....

i didnt ban you and i believe you got banned by the other mods for being annoying and negative in all your posts. I didnt see it, they did. Thats funny, nobody has EVER been banned for their opinion yet you guys always say that AFTER you fucked up and got yourself banned. Come in here and state your opinion on how much SSA woofers suck and see how long you last. OF course if someone is gonna outright dog me, or one of my mods/admins out, on MY forum, they wont last on MY website. If you arent getting along with others, you wont last long. Simple. That being said, again i didnt ban you.

I dont konw about 10 people PM'ing anyone "whenever a thread starts", feel free to send me the messages you are getting i will be happy to take a look. You are full of dogshit, i dont believe that for a second... but go ahead, send away i will review them.

just an FYI

Sorry Steve. I am not trying to be rude but i know your busy so how am I going to be able to get a hold of you? I know you get spammed with a lot of emails or anything on SMD or youtube. Most of them some kid with 2 12's in his car asking what a DB is. So i don't know how i would even attempt to get into contact with you. I know that it sounded like i was bashing, and assuming which again, i apologize for. But, i was more asking what people thought about it and if it actually would be a working tool. I am glad that your taking the time to develop your product and send it out. Again, i had no idea so i ask on this SSA forum. I take it personally because i am the OP of this thread...

I know you don't get rich on your subwoofer, you do get promotion, and you do get money from Youtube. I know you are making quite a lot of money, seeing as i have been watching your Youtube near when you started. I remember you buying a shop and now your doing it big. I respect that and i am not trying to be a hardcore "hater." Just what i thought i guess.

Mostly, i'm just saying it's hard to get into contact with you so i ask people who have experience in Car Audio, instead of going into a local car audio shop and being told that it's useless and you can only get it "professionally" tuned. Thanks for dropping in to talk on your behalf.

Do you think you could go a little bit more in depth with your new product? I watched the video and everything, and started asking questions as you can see but it would be nice to get the facts straight from you.

EDIT: Sorry i just saw that other people just comment the same concept. Didn't know that people would be on it so quick.

its hard to get a hold of me because there is literally thousands of messages, emails, youtube comments, forum posts, facebook comments etc and i really can only get to a fraction of them. I saw this link from someone on facebook who posted it.

like i said before though, i will be posting more info on my site as well as more youtube video's when there is more info to share.

FYI to the guy who asked, the disc will have 0, -5, -10db tracks with full instructions on how to use them.

It doesnt detect clipping or distortion. Say you have an amp rated at 1200wrms @14.4volts, but its either underrated or you have voltage drop. If you still setup the amp to output 1200wrms at but instantly drop to 13 volts on the burp, youd get clipping.

Yes it is possible, clipping in from the HU when it is set too high or from the recording itself.

I should have added more detail. If its a quality amp that does rated, and your electrical is strong, and only go about 60% on the HU, can you still clip if set with a DMM? The amp I have is rated at 13.8v, the lowest my volts have dropped to is 13.7. My HU is set to 22 out of 35 volume. And I used a -3Db 55Hz tone to 44.7v. I then checked from 24hz-35hz in 1hz jumps, then 35hz-100hz in 5hz jumps, and it never went over 46v.

One of the only real things I learn from this site is how big of an arseho M5 is. It doesnt matter what the topic, brand, newb, veteran or anything else. He never fails to be a complete arseho with some smart ass comment.

I think he or (you if your reading) truely bring down this entire site.

This almost has nothing to do with this thread in general. Its almost every single thread the arseho posts in.

Thank god I'm a whore and hug everyone's nuts lol The thing that suck is that lines in dirt are drawn when it comes to allegiances to forums, So in the end of all this the only one that will have the last word will be the product itself. But even then it will still be criticized.

One of the only real things I learn from this site is how big of an arseho M5 is. It doesnt matter what the topic, brand, newb, veteran or anything else. He never fails to be a complete arseho with some smart ass comment.

I think he or (you if your reading) truely bring down this entire site.

This almost has nothing to do with this thread in general.

EXACTLY, everyone besides M5 is making this a personal problem.

Hey Ctmaudi, nothing is really wrong with using a dmm to do what you did. But how do you set the input/output gains on a signal processor, and how do you know when your headunit is distorting or clipping with a DMM? There isn't a way with a DMM, and you can not trust published specs on headunits, or most amplifiers for that matter. Additionally most DMMs are very accurate when measuring 50 or 60hz (most are tuned for to be accurate when measuring household AC voltages), but at higher frequencies they become pretty inaccurate. Check the manual that came with your DMM. Even the best fluke's have more and more error as the frequency increases.

Dear Mr. M5,

Tony D'Amore

D'Amore Engineering

you are incredible....

I have never heard of that nor seen it an i respond quite a lot of times.

And i go against a lot of people and after a 3-5years im still going.

Edit: the guy who said m 5 is a arseho all the time is incorrect, most of the time he tries to let people learn it themselves, but most dont understand it and think he is one.

Sometimes he is , but who isnt? M5doesnt like to admit he is wrong..

Edited by kirill007